Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nuno Correia

Bandwagonners

Guest Nuno Correia

Have you noticed that when The Prodigy released Firestarter, lots of people went "whoa, this is, like, my favorite band" and such (yuck: even on some magazines, "The Prodigy's first album, The Fat Of The Land... "), without knowing anything else about them?

Aren't you afraid that the same thing happens with Doom?

Guest David A

Man I HATE Fat of the Land... Experience and Jilted Generation are soooo superior.

Anyway, that probably won't happen with Doom since everyone has heard of the first one(s), although I'm sure we'll see a lot of distortion of the truth by people who only vaguely remember the game.

Guest spacedog

no, i didn't notice that, i noticed a lot of people (who already liked prodigy) saying, "yeah firestarters alright, but fat of the land is shit" so i have NO idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, but don`t pigeonhole people with that outlook.

I, for instance had never HEARD of nine inch nails until We`re in this together. And they`re my favourite band. Why? Maybe some people hear something new and great and check out the older stuff.

BTW For the record, My personal favourite NIN CDs are Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral. Not too bad for a bandwagoner? And,I love the prodigy. Jilted Generation=best!!!

Guest Nuno Correia

Actually, I already liked NiN before Closer, but that track was the one that made me check them out better. With The Prodge, they have always been my fav band (hell, I even have that 'Androids' bootleg :).

I'm old and out of touch it seems. I've never heard anything by The Prodigy that I'm aware of. All I know is their music is played at raves. I don't do raves :P

Guest David_A
Jayextee said:

Yeah, but don`t pigeonhole people with that outlook.

I, for instance had never HEARD of nine inch nails until We`re in this together. And they`re my favourite band. Why? Maybe some people hear something new and great and check out the older stuff.

BTW For the record, My personal favourite NIN CDs are Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral. Not too bad for a bandwagoner? And,I love the prodigy. Jilted Generation=best!!!

That's a very valid point. I, for one, don't understand how people can say they love a band when they hear their newest song and then never go back and look up what the band did before that...

Pretty Hate Machine is by far the best NIN album. I guess Spiral would be my second favorite, but I can't stand some of those tracks (Big Man with a Gun is one of the all-time lamest songs I've ever heard). Hate Machine seems much less pretencious...

fodders said:

You must have seen the video to "smak the bitch up" ? if not hunt it down its ok :)

Don't do MTV either :) I was "with it" 'til about '94-'95. I knew everything about the latest bands and tunes. Now I don't know anything any more :P

Guest prets
spacedog said:

no, i didn't notice that, i noticed a lot of people (who already liked prodigy) saying, "yeah firestarters alright, but fat of the land is shit" so i have NO idea what you're talking about.

prodigy? 9 inch nails? bah! go for something with some more melody! Metallica, as an example, has GREAT lyrics, great MUSIC, great GUITARS. And yeah, my first Metallica album was s&m, but i've been building up my collection of older albums - these guys are SOOOO good.

Still, for nostalgia's sake, go listen to Mike Oldfield. Don't know it? I don't blame you. Still, its not every day u see a guy playing over 20 instruments in one single album (which is none other than Tubular Bells)

Guest spacedog

S&M sucks ass(the album that is)but i do like some metallica stuff, And yes tubular bells is good(i have the origional vinyl version) but everything else mike oldfield did sucked, and Stphrz, there hasn't been a "rave" since 1993

Guest Nuno Correia

The Prodigy exist since 1990, and actually were a part of the rave scene.

Guest erick20
David_A said:

That's a very valid point. I, for one, don't understand how people can say they love a band when they hear their newest song and then never go back and look up what the band did before that...

Pretty Hate Machine is by far the best NIN album. I guess Spiral would be my second favorite, but I can't stand some of those tracks (Big Man with a Gun is one of the all-time lamest songs I've ever heard). Hate Machine seems much less pretencious...

Reznor wrote 'Big Man with a Big Gun' as a sort of parody of the current rap scene then. You'll notice that all the lyrics are regarding extreme male power and complete female degradation.. I think the song itself isn't the best one musically, but it certainly shows itself to be an interpretive work of art. In an interview Reznor said that he was almost going to exclude the song from the album right before T.D.S. was released, but then decided to leave it on anyway. The same happened with another song called 'Dead Souls', which was used on The Crow soundtrack. (and it's actually on the japanese version of TDS).

On a side note, I've been a NIN fan for almost 7 years, The Fragile is my favorite, then TDS, then PHM, and lastely, Broken.

And another note, for anyone here who likes electronica/drum and bass, check out nin's 'The Perfect Drug' single. It contains 5 remixes of the song, done by such talented artists as Plug, Meat Beat Manifesto & Spacetime Continuum. As a electronica fan, it's one of my favorite nin discs.

Guest prets
Nuno Correia said:

The Prodigy exist since 1990, and actually were a part of the rave scene.

vynil? fragging tb vynil?? hell yeah!
mike does NOT suck, though. u gotta love crises, guitars, the whole tb collection (i have all 4 - 1, 2, 3, and millenium)

ps: did u know tb1 was 5 years at no1 in the tops, only to be replaced by mike's 2nd album, which stepped down from 1st to give place to tb AGAIN??

Guest spacedog

tubular bells one is great, the rest is pants, and yes prodigy were part of the rave scene (the prodigy experience was the first album i bought) i was just saying that "rave" isn't a term that has been used in that context for many years

I hate the whole concept of liking a band. I listen to music, not bands.