Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NightFang

Have we forgotten how to take screenshots?

Okay, the concept of taking screenshots is to impress the viewer and make him or her want to play your game, right?

So, whats the point of people espically taking screenshots of just blank levels with *nothing* in them! PROVE to me that I should download your product and play it. Taking shots of just ordinary ol' levels with some textures thrown up there isnt my idea (or very many elses) idea of a good time.

Now, you'll say "Its a deathmatch map, not supposed to have anything in there". Well, I can understand this. But, at least take a screenshot of the action, using your favorite feature in the map during an actual deathmatch game!

Single player, gimme an awesome action shot of the most intense parts you want to show off to the player. Show them you know how to design and make things fun!

Anyone can make boxes, walls, neat little map tricks, etc. But please dont forget that which is important, the actual game content. Make the player want to be a part of that action and not some boring empty place with no life. No nothing.

I hope this get through to a few of you out there.

Hey dude, I dont like you reffering this to TRTCC. TRTCC is under big construction, and there are barely any monsters in it yet! Ok? Everything is still underworks, just give it some time, dont go flaming our TRTCC project just becuase its still being made, and there is no "action" yet.

Whoa whoa...you misunder stood me.

I was not referring this post to your project, but to all projects. I understand your TRTCC is still under big construction, but if that is the case you shouldent advertise or post any screenshots until you have something to show for it. And then you'll *really* get people hyped because they see that something is done and on the way. (Thats where those action shots come in)

I personally have seen this happen too many times. Developers such as yourself release nothing but screenshots (no action!) and then to everyone's disappointment the project closes because of lack of time or lack or interest.

Understand that I'm not trying to call you out or anything, just trying to make a point about ALL Doom projects.

Shaviro said:

SU. Those are production pics! Im just keeping u all posted!

Don't post too many pics... we want SOME surprises when your TC comes out. I suggest posting only one or two screenshots for each map, and only when you have the map done (monsters and all).

NightFang said:

Whoa whoa...you misunder stood me.

I was not referring this post to your project, but to all projects. I understand your TRTCC is still under big construction, but if that is the case you shouldent advertise or post any screenshots until you have something to show for it. And then you'll *really* get people hyped because they see that something is done and on the way. (Thats where those action shots come in)

I personally have seen this happen too many times. Developers such as yourself release nothing but screenshots (no action!) and then to everyone's disappointment the project closes because of lack of time or lack or interest.

Understand that I'm not trying to call you out or anything, just trying to make a point about ALL Doom projects.

GODDAMMIT! U KNOW THERES GONNA BE ACTION! OR CANT U FIGURE THAT OUT? THIS ADD-ON WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST THRILLING, ACTION-FILLED WAD-PACK EVER. SO TAKE A LOOK AT THE ARCHITECTURE INSTEAD, AND GIMME SOME DAMMIT COMMENTS MAN!

I take it you want me to assume that this will be the greatest thing even?

That may be true. But, I cant just look at boring screenshots and assume the game is the greatest thing on the planet! Where is the logic in that?

Take it easy, man. All NightFang is saying is that he's not impressed with the screenies. It don't believe it was meant to be a flame, just an opinion. There are some people who look at screen shots for architecture, and there are others who look at them for the action. NightFang just happens to want action.

When you post in a public forum you're not always going to get praise. You're guaranteed to get some unflattering comments. Sometimes you need to take the comments as constructive criticism and improve on some aspect of what you're doing. No one doubts that you are busting your ass off on your project. But as NightFang says, that is not the sole criterion for respect. The final product is what usually commands (or prevents) respect.

So my suggestion to you is to not take any comments personally. Use the comments as constructive criticism whenever possible. Work hard and as best as you can. Then release your work and hope that there are more people that like it than don't.

Personally, I think the screen shots are pretty decent. However, you may want to select just a few to highlight your level. Firstly, because too many shots tend to be repetitive. Secondly, too many pictures cause your page to take forever to load (even on a T1 line).

If you're looking for encouragement, then consider it given. I encourage you to make your work the best you can make it. Good Luck, dude.

What i'm mad about, is that i dont GET any comments! NightFang, started talking about no action. And the he just wouldnt stop again. You are actually comment number 2, to these screens!

I DO take constructive critisism seriously, but when i dont really get any, i cant! NightFang, just gotta respect, that this Add-On is under construction, and the Screens are what is available at the time!

Excuse me? Yes, you. You who can't read. NightFang has already explained that he wasn't talking just about TRTCC, he was talking about all projects in general. It seems to be that you yourself subconsciously realise how useless these screenshots are judging from your re-actions to the posts in this thread(note: I am not talking about the level's looks/gameplay here, just the screenshots). Ever heard the term "guilty conscience"?

It doesn't matter if your level is the best one ever made. If you take:

a) screenshots too early in development
b) screenshots in the wrong places
c) too many screenshots

Then chances are they'll be pretty crap. Another couple of examples of a project that releases way too many screenshots, and/or particularly boring shots, are X-Doom's ZDoom3k PC and the Alien Vendetta mega-wad.

Go take a look at the Caverns of Darkness, Mordeth, Darkening E2 and even the Team Insanity reviews for some interesting looking screenshots.