Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
grindking

A real true doomers list, to answer NiGHTMARE

I went into a csdoom server today and saw a bunch of morons thinking they were the best players on this earth. I laughed at them, since none them have apparently ever played any REAL DOOM.

This is a REAL list of TRUE DOOMERS criteria.

You must have:

1. Played atleast 1 game modem to modem using one or more version(s) of Doom/Doom2. (v1.2-v1.9 for Doom1, v1.666-v1.9 for Doom2)

2. Used OLD DEATHMATCH SKILL 5 NOMONSTERS settings. This means NO ITEM RESPAWN was EVER turned on.

3. You played against SOMEONE in Doom2 map01 once in your life, other than a computer.

4. You actually liked the BFG being that it WAS a weapon of skill, and could silence it when shot in order to hide the sound of the shot.

5. You've watched 1 or more LMP(s) that were strictly Deathmatch.

AND FINALLY..

6. YOU NEVER USE MLOOK, JUMP, OR ANY DISPLAY ALTERING OPTIONS WHEN YOU PLAY A NEW PORT. (meaning, 320x200, no optimized settings, no particles, all sprites, no jumping, no mlook, no crosshair)

Now, if ANYONE can actually think of any reason why this would be wrong, I would LOVE to hear it. And if you think my ways are wrong, go download almost ANY demo on ftp.cdrom.com in the deathmatch section, look at the text file or demo, and look at what settings and maps the majority of them play.

Then someone can try to tell me I'm wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT size=1>quote:<HR>4. You actually liked the BFG being that it WAS a weapon of skill, and could silence it when shot in order to hide the sound of the shot.<HR>[/quote]

Actually I like the new source ports' (ie zdoom) ablilty to handle more sound channels to stop silly things like that. Taking advantage of engine limitations is not what Doom is about.
Besides there's a hell of a lot more to Doom than deathmatch.

Guest destROYer
grindking said:

6. YOU NEVER USE MLOOK, JUMP, OR ANY DISPLAY ALTERING OPTIONS WHEN YOU PLAY A NEW PORT. (meaning, 320x200, no optimized settings, no particles, all sprites, no jumping, no mlook, no crosshair)

fuck that, using those options doesnt destroy the atmosphere or the game's chatacter, It only enhances enjoyment
and if we dont use these, what is the point of ports?
I know that I am a true doomer and I use these enhancements, that must mean there is either an error in your list, or an error in all us true doomers.

I agree and can relate to everything mentioned there, except number 6. It's BECAUSE we're willing to move forward, and that we want to improve DOOM that it's so popular to this day. I play with jump, on 640x400. Although I don't play with mlook.. I play JDoom, which is very nice with some WADs.. I would like to see ZDoom with true 3D. Making DOOM more flexible and advanced is a very good thing, I think.. Don't get too caught up in the past..

The people who stick 100% to old-style DOOM play aren't true DOOMers. They're stuffy, stubborn old scrooges who can't let go of anything.

True doomer criteria? What a waste of time. And no one can tell you your wrong, it's your perspective, they can only disagree.
It would be like me makeing a "Your cool criteria list" it's all your opinion. And if anyone actually takes your criteria seriously and thinks they should live up to it so they can be a "True Doomer" in your perspective or anyone elses, then they're wasting even more time.

Stphrz said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT size=1>quote:<HR>4. You actually liked the BFG being that it WAS a weapon of skill, and could silence it when shot in order to hide the sound of the shot.<HR>

Actually I like the new source ports' (ie zdoom) ablilty to handle more sound channels to stop silly things like that. Taking advantage of engine limitations is not what Doom is about.
Besides there's a hell of a lot more to Doom than deathmatch.[/quote]yeh everyone and his dog nowadays are going on about "the bfg being silenced" they seem to forget the shotgun and rocket launcher were both also capable of this "trick"

//1. Played atleast 1 game modem to modem using one or more version(s) of Doom/Doom2. (v1.2-v1.9 for Doom1, v1.666-v1.9 for Doom2)

Uhmm. Why do you have to play a modem to modem game? i've played serial link, internet, lan. But no modem to modem!... I disagree!

//2. Used OLD DEATHMATCH SKILL 5 NOMONSTERS settings. This means NO ITEM RESPAWN was EVER turned on.

This doesnt create a real doomer! I've tried itbut. I disagree!

//3. You played against SOMEONE in Doom2 map01 once in your life, other than a computer.

Sure i've tried this thing. But why do u have to play a DM map in map01 of doom2. I disagree!

//4. You actually liked the BFG being that it WAS a weapon of skill, and could silence it when shot in order to hide the sound of the shot.

If you like the BFG or not, doesnt make you a good or bad doomer! I like it. But I Disagree!

//5. You've watched 1 or more LMP(s) that were strictly Deathmatch.

I think i have tried this once. But I Disagree stongly!

//6. YOU NEVER USE MLOOK, JUMP, OR ANY DISPLAY ALTERING OPTIONS WHEN YOU PLAY A NEW PORT. (meaning, 320x200, no optimized settings, no particles, all sprites, no jumping, no mlook, no crosshair)

Uhmm. Just because u dont like it, doesnt mean u cant be a real doomer! I Disagree!

This list sucks! Its all your opinions! They are all something that makes YOU a real doomer!

Well. I will create MY list that will make ME a real doomer!

1. You must have spent 130+ days in a row on doom! (second for second, minute for minute)!

2. You must have tried to work with ZDooM!

3. You must have a .com DooM site!

Well. I guess im not a real doomer according to your list then!

AndrewB said:

I agree and can relate to everything mentioned there, except number 6. It's BECAUSE we're willing to move forward, and that we want to improve DOOM that it's so popular to this day. I play with jump, on 640x400. Although I don't play with mlook.. I play JDoom, which is very nice with some WADs.. I would like to see ZDoom with true 3D. Making DOOM more flexible and advanced is a very good thing, I think.. Don't get too caught up in the past..

The people who stick 100% to old-style DOOM play aren't true DOOMers. They're stuffy, stubborn old scrooges who can't let go of anything.

yeah i kinda went off on a rant, but i agree with you, but 320x200 just moves like i want it..

i know it was all opinions.. sorry everyone..

i should have put a TRUE DOOMERS LIST FOR ME

so EVERYONE OUT THERE HEAR ME :)