Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ZarcyB

Poll - Is the PS2 any good?

Guest ZarcyB

I've been surrounded by them for the past week (guarunteed only 1 game was being played on them, but...) and I think the PS2 is pretty cool (even though the game I was playing was still under development and thus was running slooooooow).

Guest doomgod12345

i think it may be good, have not played or even seen one yet i dont plan to get in the mess and i will same my self the time,money and stress and buy one after the first of the year

It's a piece of crap. No hardware Anti-aliasing, no hardware texture decompression, etc. Only two ports. Ridiculous ripoff price.

Oh yeah and they're lying about the poly rate. They keep on saying it's around 75 million poly's a second. HA! they'd be lucky to hit 8 million. 75 mil is the raw rate, like what you get on a blank screen.

It's like saying "My car can drive at 250 KM/h if you stripped it down to only a seat and what was neccessary to propel it forward." Sure that may be true, but are you going to ever drive a car like that?

Apparently it's a bitch to program for too.

The Gamecube may be a year away, but it has so much more potential. Come E3, Nintendo will have playable software (they ae keeping their cards close to their chest). Developers will flock to the cube.

Drat, shut your mouth. What, are you like a PR man for Nintendo? Sure the gamecube looks all fine and well, but Nintendo's last two system entries (Virtual Boy and N64) have utterly sucked. Do you really expect any better from the Gamecube?

The Playstation 2's lack of hardware FSAA is no real suprise, given that it's gotten only a lukewarm reception in the PC community (though I personally think it's the holy grail of 3d rendering, after 0wning a Voodoo5 for a few months), and the fact that it was only a big deal several months AFTER the PS2's hardware had been finalized. Besides which, I'm not entirely certain it IS lacking hardware FSAA. I can't find anything either way. As far as hardware TC...well, that's really not that big a deal. Lots of video cards out there today say they have "DXTC", which is implemented solely in drivers, not hardware. And only two ports...USB ports, or controller ports? Either way, if you want more, just hook up to the USB ports, or use a USB hub. It's simple.

And I already explained about the poly rate in another thread.

The only issue I see with the PS2 is their use of RDRAM, which is known for being overpriced and underperforming. However, they seem to have found some workarounds.

The PS2 is a fine machine, especially for the price/features layout.

Granted, the virtual boy was pathetic. The late Gumpei Yokoi's only mistake.

Oh yeah and the n64 really, really sucks doesn't it? Especially considering the fact it has lasted against the psx, unlike the Saturn which has been dead and buried for a year at least.