Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ZarcyB

HOW BIG IS YOUR...

Guest Medieval_Gnome

*stretches arms apart*

About thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis biiiiiig...

22" - but not really - its viewable area is 20.0" - Why they call it a 22" monitor is beyond me - should be called a 21" - I guess they do that cause 21" monitors often have sub 20.0" viewable - many are 19.5".

Medieval_Gnome said:

*stretches arms apart*

About thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis biiiiiig...

They use the larger size to sell it.

Almost like what sony is doing with the piece of shit 2.
Except sony is exaggerating it so much more.

In case anyone doesn't know what I am talking about, the ps2 can only do 3-6 million poly's a second, while sony are quoting the raw figures and saying 75 million.

Kinda reminds me of the first ads for the Mega drive. Some dribble about a scientist inventing a device that could warp him into worlds with millions of colours. Ha! the mega drive was only capable of 512 colours!

Hmm, reminds me of the add in an old magazine for a 6X rom drive.
It says "2X" and shows a dude with wind blowing, then says "6X" and shows his face ripping off. Well then what the Hell would a 50X max do to you!?

Guest David A

heh, i remember that add...

Drat said:

They use the larger size to sell it.

Almost like what sony is doing with the piece of shit 2.
Except sony is exaggerating it so much more.

In case anyone doesn't know what I am talking about, the ps2 can only do 3-6 million poly's a second, while sony are quoting the raw figures and saying 75 million.

Kinda reminds me of the first ads for the Mega drive. Some dribble about a scientist inventing a device that could warp him into worlds with millions of colours. Ha! the mega drive was only capable of 512 colours!

Drat, where do you get your information? The Playstation 2 can in fact render 75 million polygons a second. However, this is double-textured-single-pass rendering, which doesn't suffice to create the awesome graphics we've come to expect from modern games. It's true, that when bogged down with all of the special effects, the PS2's graphics chip falls FAR below the 75M poly mark, but it doesn't near 3-6, I promise.

Part of the PS2's amazing graphics capabilities are due to the 48GB of memory bandwidth available to the graphics bus, thanks to the use of ultra-fast EDRAM, a technology which may come to your local PC pretty soon, at least in small doses. Which is all the PS2 has. (A small dose)

Granted, the PS2 doesn't meet all of its advertised specifications in real-world applications, but then again...neither does the Geforce2. 1600Mpix a second fillrate? HAH! Try 1100-1200. Even the normally-reliable ATI's Radeon, while still insanely fast and superbly efficient, doesn't hit it's advertised fillrate.

Oh, and it's only a 19, but I have a digital TV out to my 70" HDTV in the other room. ::winks::

19". It's the 3rd 19" I've bought in a few months. There will be a 4th soon. I am getting REALLY GOD DAMN PISSED OFF at companies who can't make WORKING monitors without bends in the screen, ghost images, double images, color and text blurs and messed up control systems.

For the record: do NOT buy Samsung, Trinitron or Cybervision monitors, they just plain suck. After paying over $450 for a top-quality monitor, you might just expect it to be remotely decent. I only have the current one I have because I've temporarily given up on finding a working monitor. I've already lost $150 in exchanging these last 3, I am just not ready for a 4th dent in my miniscule finances because some big company puts out shit products.

So, ROWR!

Katarhyne said:

The ps2 will get nowhere near 75 mil. 3-5 is what they get on fist-gen games. As developers get the handle of ps2's confusing processor/vector chip architecture, the poly rate will get better

Hell, the gamecube tech demos showed it could get 90 million raw, but you wont see gamecube sites implying it can do 90 million with effects. They are quoting the rates they got with full effects.

However, every ps2 site I have been to has said the ps2 can do 75 million. They are not saying that it's with full effects, but then they aren't saying that it's the raw rate, which is just as bad.