Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

How do I register a domain name??

If you own a ".com" {not an "angelfire.com/mn2/yoursite"},
PLEASE tell me how to register one, and what the cheapest deal is! I want to register a .com, and just put a link to my shitty angelfire page.

Guest doomgod12345

i am sure there are many ways to do it, well there is no goverment orginization or anything i xthink all u need is a server, that is u must own it and a name that no one has

you could go to one of those free domain names sites...such as namedemo.com. but, they leave an ad at the bottom of the screen.
you could go for a .ws suffix which is free (i think). They are all basically redirectors...for the easiest way to find it, go to any good search engine and do a search for "domain names" without the quotes...

doomgod12345 said:

i am sure there are many ways to do it, well there is no goverment orginization or anything i xthink all u need is a server, that is u must own it and a name that no one has

How do you creat your own server. My editing level is "0" ZERO

A server is an actual computer. You would want your server to be fast, have lots of disk space and decent bandwidth. It's a fairly expensive proposition all around. That's why Doomworld is hosted by Telefragged on their server(s).

Or, if buying a computer and getting a T1 line is a little beyond your budget, there are companies out there which host your .com site for as little as $8 a month. However, you may find the hosting to be somewhat restrictive, as some companies may have bandwidth, # of visitors, or disk space limits. But seeing that you plan on simply redirecting to your site on (yech) Angelfire, that shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

Guest fraggle`

to properly register a domain you must set up a server computer with a permanent connection to the internet to serve your web pages to visitors. You must then register with the InterNIC (www.internic.net for information) who will link your server IP into the DNS nameserver databases. Typically you will be charged for "renting" a domain name, usually depending on what domain you register on (.com, .org, .net, .cx etc)

There are some free providers such as dhs.org who will give you an address such as "frad.dhs.org" for free, although its obviously not such a nice name :). You still need to run a server for this. I believe there are some websites which will set you up with a "forwarding" domain which will take you to another site if you are too lazy to set up a proper server

Guest fraggle`
AndrewB said:

Or, if buying a computer and getting a T1 line is a little beyond your budget, there are companies out there which host your .com site for as little as $8 a month. However, you may find the hosting to be somewhat restrictive, as some companies may have bandwidth, # of visitors, or disk space limits. But seeing that you plan on simply redirecting to your site on (yech) Angelfire, that shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

There are companies such as rackspace (www.rackspace.com) who will let you build and set up a server which they run on their internet connection. You can then access the server via telnet/ssh.