Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ahab

*static*

Guest Ahab

Does Doom take place in this universe or a parallel one? Just curious

Guest Duke Nukem

well, it is on the mar's moons. So i guess it would be here.

Guest pickle_hammer

hehehe static! hehehehehe
wait... why do duke and me reply and no one else does?????
:0

It hasn't happened yet so it could possibly be in this universe. But if, in the game it has already happened (as in 1990's or previous), then it must be a parallel universe (has anyone here watched "Sliders" before? because they explain alot of this shit).

If the possiblity exists then it can be in this universe, if the possibility does not exist then either there is a paradox (formed by time-travel, very complex issue), or it is in another universe.

------
Wanna hear my theory on time travel?

one of two thing occurs:

1) You go back in time, the instant you arrive you start in a parallel universe because while everything up to that point happened just like it did in your world, even the existance of you in this time frame alters the flow of time from here on (it is possible to see yourself and kill your own grandfather, but it effects you in no way because it isn't actually your grandfather, only a copy or more precisly - a replication istead of duplication).

2) You go back in time and stay in the same universe. If you effect anything it will alter the future but will not effect you unless it is really major (or something very profound). Time is flexible and can correct some mistakes, but not all.

* For instance, if you go back and grab a handful of sand (and leave with it), time will probably correct that error by having some other event happen to protect you (since the mere loss of that gravity provided by the sand could effect what sperm fertilizes your mother's womb).
This could even work if you killed someone else not directly effecting your family (like Stalin or Hitler). Theoreticially it shouldn't work, because someone that was supposed to be killed by hitler's army could get in a scrape with your grandfather and kill him, but im sure the flow of time wouldn't allow it - preventing the incident so it never happens (the badguy in this case has a happy day instead of a bad one). One thing leads to another but things can happen to counteract some effects. Even preventing the meeting of your parents could fix itself - they meet once again later on (a change in time suited to counteract your effect).
But if you kill your grandfather before your father is born, time will not be able to protect you because it is too profound an error to correct (The flow of time can't summon up another father for you), you can't bring people back from the dead.
This does suggest some sort of supernatural being running the show behind the scenes.

Guest prets
sirgalahadwizar said:

VERY NICE!
but wait - u didn't explore the actual possibility of time travelling. that's a bit more obscure
[/b]THEORETICALLY[/b] u could not travel through time for one reason: according to einstein's theory (not that e=mc^2 most people know but most of those cannot explain - eveen though i can, sort of =), by travelling at increasingly high speeds, ur mass would also increase (exponentially) until, at speed = c (lightspeed), ur mass would be infinite! On the other hand, the faster u moved, the smaller time and space would become - thus, if u spent 1 year at a speed of c/2, for u, it would've been only 6 months (weird, huh?). same goes for space, so if u were at half the speed of light, u'd seem half the size for somebody "out here" - until, at light speed, u are infinitly small - and time goes infinitly slowly for u. so a body of 0 size and infinite mass would be created - thus creating something similar to a black hole. also, since ur physical properties at that point would be infinite, which is blatantly illogical, einstein theorised u could not overcome the c barrier. however, if we continue to digress on the progression of speed, at greater than lightspeed travel, you would be travelling backwards through time...
therefore, the most likely means of backwards time travel is not possible (forwards time travel still baffles me, though).
HOWEVER, in the light of modern day quantum physics, most of einstein's theory is wrong (but, at the same time, most works =), and, while einstein's theory cannot live without the quantum theory, the reverse also applies.

> HOWEVER, in the light of modern day quantum physics, most of einstein's theory is wrong

I don't think, WRONG is the apropriate expression here. I would call it an unintentional simplification.

prets said:

I wasn't referring to HOW to travel through time, Im not concerned with that aspect.

I was stating my idea of what MIGHT happen if you did succeed in travelling through time (however it might be achieved).

Time travelling into the future is quite easy, just go really really fast and time speeds up for you (you see everthing happening many times faster than normal). You may only age one year, but 200 years goes by (if you wanna see the future long after ur an old man, get in a spaceship and go really fast in circles).