Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shaviro

Caco=Beholder=Not true!

Bah! The beholder is a floating monster-alien thingie. The caco is floating hellspawn! They noth have one eye, they float theyre almost red the both of em. But uhmmm. Thats not a ripoff! Just because its the same idea?!

U might as well say that the idea of a gun in doom was taken from lets say... Biomenace or?

Guest ZarcyB

Yeah, that lovely "original" idea of a floating eyeball. Oh yeah of course TSR were the first to invent it in Dungeons and Dragons NOT! And they didn't exactly copyright it did they?

NiGHTMARE said:

The Beholder is a rip-off of Medusa anyway.

#1: Yes, Adrian did copy of the Beholder. It is a red, floating ball, with One giant eye in the center, that shoots out harmfull electric balls... They are the same! The only difference, is that Adrian replace the eye stalks with horns.

#2: The Beholder is not a rip off of Medusa! Those are both legendary creatures! That would be the same as saying Satan got his idea of goat legs from the minotaure! But if TSR did not invent the Beholder...who did {Dont even say Adrian, cuz' D&D's Beholder has been out there since 1970!}

1#) yes, cacodemon was copied from the beholder. Eyes were replaced by the silvered horns, the toothy maw of the cacodemon seems less sharp and needle-like than the beholders (suggesting less damage).

* The Beholder is FAR more dangerous than the cacodemon because of the spell-like abilities it possesses. Disintegrate (aka, BFG blast that travels in a beam) alone makes the cacodemon's electro-ball look like a pea-shooter, and if that wasn't enough it has finger of death too (kills you instantly).

Guest prets

well, cacodaemons ARE NOT anywhere near beholders. every doomer everywhere would be shoulder-deep in death if cacos happened to be beholders - which, in D&D terms, are devastating (anti-magic beam, which would equate to no plasma rifle/BFG, plenty 'o' spell powers, BIG HD if I'm not mistakenn, etc).
design-wise, beholders are THAT MUCH BIGGER, have plenty of eyestalks- and i don't mean like the horns on the cacos - are not red, as far as i remember, and, o sum it all up, are a lotmore menacing to look at than cacodaemons.
anyway, the concept of a mean spirited, big, ugly, horned, lightning spitting, floating eyball is a rather simple one that mho instantly springs to the mind of any monster designer =)

if in doubt, here are two other similar creatures: the stalkers, from ultima 8, Orbb, from q3:a. the list probably goes on...

Someone post a link to a picture of this "Beholder", I'd like to see it.

Nevermind, I found one.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/dl_eyesmarx.jpg
Not all that scary looking though.

Who really gives a shit?? Cacos rule. Beholders look rather nasty as well. Just be quiet and kill the bloody things!

Guest Heresiarch
prets said:

well, cacodaemons ARE NOT anywhere near beholders. every doomer everywhere would be shoulder-deep in death if cacos happened to be beholders - which, in D&D terms, are devastating (anti-magic beam, which would equate to no plasma rifle/BFG, plenty 'o' spell powers, BIG HD if I'm not mistakenn, etc).
design-wise, beholders are THAT MUCH BIGGER, have plenty of eyestalks- and i don't mean like the horns on the cacos - are not red, as far as i remember, and, o sum it all up, are a lotmore menacing to look at than cacodaemons.
anyway, the concept of a mean spirited, big, ugly, horned, lightning spitting, floating eyball is a rather simple one that mho instantly springs to the mind of any monster designer =)

if in doubt, here are two other similar creatures: the stalkers, from ultima 8, Orbb, from q3:a. the list probably goes on...

CACOS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH BEHOLDERS!!!!!

Jeremy said:

#1: Yes, Adrian did copy of the Beholder. It is a red, floating ball, with One giant eye in the center, that shoots out harmfull electric balls... They are the same! The only difference, is that Adrian replace the eye stalks with horns.

#2: The Beholder is not a rip off of Medusa! Those are both legendary creatures! That would be the same as saying Satan got his idea of goat legs from the minotaure! But if TSR did not invent the Beholder...who did {Dont even say Adrian, cuz' D&D's Beholder has been out there since 1970!}

As far as I'm aware TSR invented the Beholder, it's not a creature of myth and legend at all, unlike the Medusa which was supposedly real.

Besides the fact that they've both got scaly skin, the Medusa has long dangly things coming from it's head. The Beholder has long dangly things coming from it's head. Granted the Medusa's dangly things are snakes and the Beholder's are eye-stalks, and the fact that the Medusa has a body, but then, where are the eye-stalks on the Cacodemon?

NiGHTMARE said:

As far as I'm aware TSR invented the Beholder, it's not a creature of myth and legend at all, unlike the Medusa which was supposedly real.

Besides the fact that they've both got scaly skin, the Medusa has long dangly things coming from it's head. The Beholder has long dangly things coming from it's head. Granted the Medusa's dangly things are snakes and the Beholder's are eye-stalks, and the fact that the Medusa has a body, but then, where are the eye-stalks on the Cacodemon?

The caco's eye stalks have not eveolved yet, as of now they are just horns.

Apparently the cacodemons are a crude primitive cousin of the beholders (but any spawn of beholders is badass).