Doom ports and Quake

A simple formula.

Doom = great game + ancient engine features

Quake = utterly shit game + much better engine features

Doom game + Quake engine features = great game + much better engine features

Guest Duke Nukem

Quake is about as bad as your moms in bed

Guest Nuno Correia

Shut up. Quake rules almost as much as Doom. But Quake 2 really sucks though.

Guest s999cop

Quake 2 is a gay crap , you know why, because of the chaingun or machinegun is gay as hell. it goes up as u shoot , waht's so good about Q2!

Doom3 rules 1st place ! Quake 3 rules 2nd place !

Nuno Correia said:

Shut up. Quake rules almost as much as Doom. But Quake 2 really sucks though.

Right on. Quake was pretty cool. Coulda used a little more color, episodes got a little bland and similar overall, but it was actually fun to play. Quake2 has way better story, characters, ideas, graphics and technology, etc. but who has actually played it more then 2 or 3 times all the way through? Not me that's for sure. Quake2 is one of those games that makes you go "wow, that's neat" the first few times but doesn't keep you coming back for anything (except that Processing Plant level, I love playing that one.) Quake I played a lot; it was like Doom in terms of replay value. Obviously not as good since I'm still here and not in a Quake forum, but you get my drift :)

Guest Duke Nukem
s999cop said:

you know why, because of the chaingun or machinegun is gay as hell. it goes up as u shoot....

Heh. the machine gun in quake2 is like my dick in your mom. it keeps coming up.

Liberation said:

Nothing shit about Quake its a Classic (like doom)

zdoom is the quake engin damn it!!!

not it is not the quake engin but i do like the new features in it

s999cop said:

Quake 2 is a gay crap , you know why, because of the chaingun or machinegun is gay as hell. it goes up as u shoot , waht's so good about Q2!

Doom3 rules 1st place ! Quake 3 rules 2nd place !

Doom rules
Quake rules ½ as much
Quake 2 sucks big time
and there's only one good thing about Q3: the engine... plus it's a shitty imitation of Unreal Tournament which rules...

Guest Jay
Duke Nukem said:

Heh. the machine gun in quake2 is like my dick in your mom. it keeps coming up.

You guys are completely retarded. And I thought the older the gaming communities got, the higher caliber mentality you would find in them. I guess I was totally wrong.

csDOOM is basically QuakeWorld's netcode injected with DOOM's player updating information.

Also, Quake completely revolutionized online gaming - in fact it defined it. Quake deathmatch was the most innovative step for gaming ever, because it offered a refined and solid environment for players to compete in for the first time. DOOM's collision detection and physics are complete ass - Quake fixed all of that. I mean really, I can nearly outrun my own rockets in DOOM.
Quake2 took Quake and slowed it down just enough so that even with crowded battles it became a refined art rather than an epileptic fit of rocket splash.
If you want something that totally sucks shit, check out Quake3. I'm all set with a game where you can rail someone in the head or shoot between their legs and not inflict any damage. Quake3's physics are terrible.

Learn how to speak, and people might listen to you.

Guest Jay

Oh, and the Q2 machine gun only wanders up as you shoot it in single player mode. The chaingun never strays from where you're pointing it. And who the *fuck* plays single player primarily anyway? You don't deserve an opinion on the matter..

Jay said:

I can nearly outrun my own rockets in DOOM.

Any Doom player worth his salt can actually outrun them, given a long enough distance. It's called strafe-running, an essential strategy, not least for DM.

Besides that, make some valid points and maybe you'll make some sense. Doom has bad physics. Yeah, tell me something new. But the fact of the matter is that Doom plays a hell of a lot better than Quake. And, IMO Q1 plays better than Q2.

Q1: Rocket Launcher too fast, lightning gun overpowered.
Q2: Railgun too powerful, too mant non-projectile weapons.
Q3: Nearly perfect, Railgun still needs weakiening, but not much. BFG needs wekening a HELL of a lot.
Doom: Remove the BFG - It's perfect.

Jay said:

Funny that Quake revolutionized the multiplayer gaming industry... and it wasn't even id who did the QuakeWorld port. No, Quake by itself sucked. I can't/won't comment on Quake3, because I'd never played it. And, hrm, was UT first or Q3A?

Heh. I was thinking that someone should just write a wad parser for quake and be done with it, since its taking a lot longer to implement the quake features in the doom ports.

Another thing I find funny is doom 'purists' saying 'yeah why play quake when we have classics like ikka's stuff' and ikka says 'yeah but my quake stuff owned my doom stuff...'