Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

System Shock 1

It seems that Looking Glass are allowing fan site Through the Looking Glass (http://www.ttlg.com) to give away the entire CD version of the original System Shock on their site.

BTW: I don't recommend anyone on a modem connection to get this, as it's 234 megs :)

ftp://ftp.ttlg.com/uploads/SystemShock1cd.zip

So what's better about it than the disk version? Well, you're no longer stuck in 320x200, you can go up to 640x480 if you want (ah, much better ;) ), plus you get high quality, well acted (probably the first occurence of this EVER in a PC game) voice overs for all the e-mails and logs you get. I think the pictures of people in the logs are videos rather than static animations too.

As Doom is basically to blame for System Shock 1's commercial failure (i.e. everyone was playing Doom 1 and 2 when it came out =p) we kinda owe it to Looking Glass to play the game :)

thanks for the site. i used to love that game but then i lost the cd and reformatted my hard drive. oh man... luckily i have cable modem so it wont take to long

One other thing, I think you'll either have to burn it to CD or use a fake CD program to install it properly.

Aww... Why can't Id Software be that nice and release Doom for free or something? Or at least Wolfenstein, for crying out loud. It's just not fair. Actually, it's a moot point because I already have Doom and Doom II, so I don't really have anything to whine about, but the gesture would be nice. Actually, what I really want is for somebody to port Doom 64 to the PC, because that game rocks (besides the really crappy shotgun) that would be even better than Doom for free (wait, wouldn't that BE Doom for free?). I'd also like to see somebody make PC versions of the other console Doom ports, at least the ones with new levels. Wow, I really seem to have gotten off track here. Oh well, what else is new? Sorry for getting off topic, as usual.

My guess would be Doom is still selling well enough to generate
substantial revenue. At least enough to keep the office stocked with coffee and soda :)