Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mechasam

the perfect editor

anyone know any good linedef/sidedef based level editors? i dont want sector based editors.

i use waded but my levels are too big for waded to load!

Linedef based editors the ones where you have to insert all the vertexes and then manually join them up, right? Bloody annoying if you ask me, but whatever. I prefer the ones where the linedefs are created as you create the vertex, like Deep.

Anyway, I think the vast majority of editors work the way you describe, although the only ones I've used recently are DETH and ZETH. They're (especially ZETH) almost as primitive as the bloody ancient DEU though...

WadEd does that too right? If only it could make bigger maps and wasn't such a bugs nest :( I would seriously consider forking over some cash to get a properly working windows version...

doomcad works on that principle, and its the editor I grew up on. A buggy mess like most editors mind.

NiGHTMARE said:

Linedef based editors the ones where you have to insert all the vertexes and then manually join them up, right? Bloody annoying if you ask me, but whatever. I prefer the ones where the linedefs are created as you create the vertex, like Deep.

Anyway, I think the vast majority of editors work the way you describe, although the only ones I've used recently are DETH and ZETH. They're (especially ZETH) almost as primitive as the bloody ancient DEU though...

No, you just draw lines.

'Course I only use Waded so I dunno, some other editors are probably badly-written enough to cause all that trouble.

Stphrz said:

WadEd does that too right? If only it could make bigger maps and wasn't such a bugs nest :( I would seriously consider forking over some cash to get a properly working windows version...

Stphrz, I used Waded to make all those Millennium maps. Each one.

You have to do them in sections: find a good place to split the level into separate wads (hallway, door, etc.), work on each individually, and then paste them together with WadAuthor or Deep. You hardly have to even learn the other editors that way, plus you can use their error checkers and advances features to further tweak your maps.

Lüt said:

No, you just draw lines.

'Course I only use Waded so I dunno, some other editors are probably badly-written enough to cause all that trouble.

Umm, what's the type where you put in vertexes and then join them all up then? Surely that's not sector-based editing.

hmmm windue 5.24 is cinda a mixure of both sector/lindef editor i mean you can create vertixes /then create lindefs / then create the sector. or yuou can just craete the sectors and connect them to gether by merging the vertixes

Lüt said:

Stphrz, I used Waded to make all those Millennium maps. Each one.

You have to do them in sections: find a good place to split the level into separate wads (hallway, door, etc.), work on each individually, and then paste them together with WadAuthor or Deep. You hardly have to even learn the other editors that way, plus you can use their error checkers and advances features to further tweak your maps.

Hmm, I think I remember you saying something along those lines before. Yeah, Cyb did the same thing with some of his maps too.
Well, doing things that way certainly works for you, I can say that much :) For me though, that just sounds like a complete pain in the ass. I'm just too lazy to boot into dos mode, make a part of a map in Waded, reboot into windows, paste it into Wadauthor etc.

Guest RTC Marine

You guys use WadEd? That Sux! Use Friggin DCK! :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Umm, what's the type where you put in vertexes and then join them all up then? Surely that's not sector-based editing.

I draw lines; vertexes are useless without lines I'm sure you must know. Download Waded and see what I mean; THAT'S an interface.

I could never figure out the other editors, they're always doing some "advanced" crap like automatically making sectors and changing your lines around. I can't stand those.