Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

What were your feelings when it came out?

Well, back in 92', when word first spread, I remember playing Wolfenstein, and just sitting and waiting for it to come out. Back then, I had no comp. Only a SNES. {They had Wolf for the snes}, and when it came out, I was very excited! I ran to my mom, and demanded money, and had her drive me to the nearest store. When I got there, all the Doom's were gone, except ONE snes Doom..I bought it of course. I popped it in, not looking at the box or the manuel, expecting to either see somthing like Wolfenstein, or side-scrolling..But to my surprise, it was the best gfx I ever saw! The floor had elevation, there was a sky, the music was just awsome, there were levels galore, it had a kick ass theme! I spent all night playing it. From the moon base to hell! After I got to the third episode, I called over all my friends, and they were bugged out too, they loved it! And well, ever since, iv'e been playing Doom. And I even play the snes one every once in a while. So, you? ...

Guest Gôvernôr Barôn

i rented doom snes when it came out, thought it was ok.. but then i bought Doom for the PC... and thats what started it all.... it was a funny thing but when i first played it (i was like 10 or 11 hehe) i actually got scared at the baron of hell!

I was 25 when I first played Doom. (I'm 27 now). *I* was scared of the Barons too :)

Gôvernôr Barôn said:

i rented doom snes when it came out, thought it was ok.. but then i bought Doom for the PC... and thats what started it all.... it was a funny thing but when i first played it (i was like 10 or 11 hehe) i actually got scared at the baron of hell!

A friend and I had been waiting for the PC version. He got it first (ver 0.99), don't know where, but he called me up and I went round to his house straight away. I was totally blown away. I remember being obsessed by the hypnotic swaying motion. Trying to figure out how to kill the Barons. Laughing like a drain when I first found a chainsaw. I sent my registration before I left my friends house and took a shareware copy home. It didn't run on my 386 (something to do with the AMD chipset I believe). You can bet that by the time my full copy arrived I had a new 486 waiting for it. :-)

I was lucky, I worked in a place that had a network capable of 4 player DM and COOPs. Some friends and I used to come in at the weekends and just muti-play for hours.

Shortly afterwards, not sure how long, I found a copy of DEU on compuserve and started editing.

Where has my life gone?

Gôvernôr Barôn said:

I was only 7 when I played Doom back in 93' :)

Stphrz said:

I was 25 when I first played Doom. (I'm 27 now). *I* was scared of the Barons too :)

Barons didn't scare me. The scariest part for me was in e1m5, the dark hallway right before the bluekey with the imps... the first time I played it I was tapping the forward key ever so slowly, trying to make out what was ahead ;)

Guest JudgeDooM

The same for me. I discovered Doom for the first time on SNES. I bought first WWF Wrestlemania, and as I didn't like it, a friend advised me to change it for Doom. So I did. The first time, I didn't like it, but then I played it, and played it, and played it, and played it, and so on...I just LUVED that game. My bro' got contamined too. When I came back from school, I always found him before the screen playin' Doom. He managed to get a copy of the replay edition from GT Interactive of Ultimate Doom and Doom II on PC. And it was a total pleasure to play it, because it was more fluid and all. Then I was kinda disgusted by the SNES version, but still, it's my base version, the first time I discovered my all-time favorite game!

Guest JudgeDooM
Gôvernôr Barôn said:

Yeah, it was the first scary demon. Then came the Cyberdemon.

Guest Gôvernôr Barôn

e1m8 was kinda scary when i first played it, anyone wanna take a stab at why it was..? :)

oh and another thing, when i played the shareware version of it (only the first episode) and in e1m8 when you warp into that room and then die and then the message pops up.. i thought there was a special code so that you can go on the next episode without dying, hehe... (gullable)

Vorpal said:

Barons didn't scare me. The scariest part for me was in e1m5, the dark hallway right before the bluekey with the imps... the first time I played it I was tapping the forward key ever so slowly, trying to make out what was ahead ;)

i get scared of the cacodemons and skulls man if a cacodemon silently flies up on your back and you turn around and unexpectingly you see this big cacodemon right behind you attaking you same with the skulls. by the way i got my sharware vertion like in 95 and 97 i got a registard vertion of doom 2 i am 15 now

Guest MadDog

Well I first played Doom I in '94, just before Doom II came out. I think my uncle sent me the shareware version... I was 11 then. It wasn't too scary for me ;)

BTW - we need emoticons!!!

Wait...snes Doom didn't have good graphics...it was really really bad...not smooth...no floor textures....it was horrible, it even had 2 FX chips in it and it was still slow. They just made it cuz they knew it would make money.