Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Doomer's net guide

There seem to be a lot of people in this community who don't understand what a lot of common internet terms actually mean. Even some people who are not particularly new to the net.

So here's a quick guide for these ignorant fools... uh, I mean people:

1) Flaming

I've seen many instances of people thinking that if you simply say that they're wrong, then you're flaming them. I mean, come on, WTF? These people need to seriously grow up and learn than not everyone will agree with them.

I've also seen people who think they're being flamed if you do something like correct a spelling mistake. Oh no, how terrible.

This is flaming:

YOU STUPID NEWBIE WHORE, U SUCK YOUR DADDIE'S DICK AND REAM YOUR UNCLE.

However, note that real flaming is usually a lot longer than that (two paragraphs is the bare minimum), and can't be considered proper flaming unless it contains at least ten spelling mistakes.

2) Spam

Spam is where you promote a product or products via e-mail, on newsgroups, in message boards, or whatever. However, it also extends to other areas, such as ideas, when the same basic thing is posted multiple times.

While annoying, someone who posts ten new threads in a row is NOT spamming unless those threads are all on the same subject.

This is spam:

NU PROJEKT (January 25th 2001)

i started nu Doom projekt need hlp with it hav 89 level 35 nu monsturs 17 nu wepons lots of musik an soun efex and lots more

STILL NEED PEOPLE (January 26th 2001)

i still looking for peopol too hlp with my Doom projket plz help me plz!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY NO-ONE HLP ME?!?!?!? (January 27th 2001)

WHY NO-ONE HLP ME WITH MY PROJECT?!?!?!? I THINK PEOPLE HERE TOO LAZY AN SELFISH YOU ALL BASTADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and so on for at least a week

3) Emoticons

People very often use these to mean things.

:) ;) =) =P =p and various others are used to show that you're not being entirely serious about things. For example, if in the comments for the release of Skull Tag in a few days, I were to post "Damn, this really sucks =p" then obviously (to most people) I would be being sarcastic, yet I'd probably still get at least three people telling me to "stop bitching" or flaming me or whatever.

I'll not even get into :o :( }=< and others like that, because basically I can't be bothered :)

Guest Duke Nukem

yea. i agree with Jon

Guest ZarcyB

/me looks for spelling mistake's in NiGHTMARE's post ^_^

Guest deathwarrior
Duke Nukem said:

yea. i agree with Jon

it's amusing and it makes me laugh at the flamer

Gawd, now that brings back recent memories. All I did was add on to a joke that Stphrz made about the guy's spelling and he went ballistic. To make matters worse, he completely misunderstood the joke. First of all, I said "ignorant" not "idiot", secondly, it was directed at Stphrz, not him, and thirdly, I was being sarcastic. Come on, man, some people just go off the deep end over the stupidest things.

Sounds right.

BTW, anyone else here have a common emoticon? I do.
=8^)-~
Long hair, glasses, big nose and a cigarette.