Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

errors

well i got linux up and running. yet i dont know much about it. like how to get into windowsX. i think the command to start it is stratx, but it gives me this errorexecve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
unable to connect to x server

i do not run a server or instal any server stuff, or have it set that way. but i dont know. can someone tell me what i did wrong or how to get into windowsX or how to set it all up

The reason for using Linux can be as simple as need for OS that actually works. I'm definately going for Linux when I get money to buy a new HD.

You need to setup your X-Server first, try the command:
sax
What distribution have you got, btw ?
All current Linux distribution that I know set up and start X automatically.

Guest fraggle`

A bit of explanation of what this means... X has a layer of network "abstraction". In windows and other oses, the programs you run display windows on your local screen (ie. on the same computer they're running on). In X you can run the program and have the window appear on the screens of any computer on the network - like, the program is running on machine A, but the window you use to control it appears on machine B. While this is kind of neat, normally you just have it connect to your own local machine though.

The X 'server' is basically the program you run which displays the windows. Somehow, you have either set up the server wrong or not set it up at all. The command to configure xfree86 (which is what most linux distros run) is xf86config. Hopefully if you run this then it will fix your problem.

SirRobin said:

The reason for using Linux can be as simple as need for OS that actually works. I'm definately going for Linux when I get money to buy a new HD.

Linux for me is pointless. I've never had Win '98 crash or lock-up on me for anything other than the fact the program I'm running at the time has shoddy programming (ZDoomGL, Ultima IX, etc), and before you say that is a problem with Windows, I've seen Linux crap up due to bad code in the current program.

Then there's the fact that there's less software for Linux than there is for the Mac! There's pretty much no software at all that's been commercially released. Everything is either freeware, a port of some Windows program, or both. If you're a serious gamer, who wants to play a rather broader range of games than Doom and Quake, and you only have Linux, you're screwed.

Guest crawlie

Er... I believe that people who say "I've never had Win9x crash" must be liars or then all they do is play solitaire occasionally.

Well.. you did say that "for anything other than the fact the program I'm running at the time has shody programming"... did you know that the OS shouldn't crash even if the program sucks?

Oh well, I've had Linux crash *completely* four times (in about one and a half year I've been running it), every time with a particular SvgaLIB program (which needs complete root access). And that's actually my own fault as I'm running Debian unstable, and stuff in that distribution aren't even trying to guarantee that they're completely stable or sometimes even relatively safe. Still, it's working very well... and I can play DOOM on it, what else could I ask for? :)

Guest Nuno Correia

Strangely, Winmill never really crashed on me. It can slow down to ridiculous levels, though.

BTW: I just got my PSOne (won it on a contest). Finally I can play GT2. ^_^