Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Perforator

Upgrading my processor speed.

I'm wondering if it is possibal to replace my -2/amd k6 400 mhz with a amd k7 933 mhz. I'm really wanting a new mother board cause mine sucks ass.

You won't be able to put the k7 into your current motherboard, you'll have to get a new one.

Maybe this will cheer you up though - Im currently running a pentuim 133. THAT sucks ass.

For that processor upgrade u will have to upgrade the mobo too... 'cause the amd k6-2 used socket 7. The classic amd k7 uses slot A whereas a "thunderbird" will use the socket A... also I don't think AMD makes a chip in 933mhz but They do in 900 and 950. If any of this is incorrect I'm sure someone will correct me :)

AirRaid said:

You won't be able to put the k7 into your current motherboard, you'll have to get a new one.

Maybe this will cheer you up though - Im currently running a pentuim 133. THAT sucks ass.

heh i few days ago i was running a 120pentium now im using a 233 mmx pentium i notice very littel difference other then i can do higher res faster then my 120p i only spent 40$$ at a computer show but im pritty shure you can get it cheaper

I got mine for £15 including motherboard at a computer fair. Super cheap. I bought the motherboard, and found that it had a chip in it when i was half-way home!

will said:

For that processor upgrade u will have to upgrade the mobo too... 'cause the amd k6-2 used socket 7. The classic amd k7 uses slot A whereas a "thunderbird" will use the socket A... also I don't think AMD makes a chip in 933mhz but They do in 900 and 950. If any of this is incorrect I'm sure someone will correct me :)

ok chip is dead in a chaintec bx440, what is cheapest chip that will go into a slot 1 board?

Guest Doom Overlord
AirRaid said:

I got mine for £15 including motherboard at a computer fair. Super cheap. I bought the motherboard, and found that it had a chip in it when i was half-way home!

The other day I had a PIII EB@800 mhz and now I have it a little over a ghz =0)! The only upgrading I did was putting on a Golden Orb Heatsink/Fan and I overclocked the piss outta it. Talk about a cheap upgrade =0)

Guest Doom Overlord
fodders said:

ok chip is dead in a chaintec bx440, what is cheapest chip that will go into a slot 1 board?

This is a reply to fodders thread. The best processor for you can get for your slot 1 motherboard is a Pentium III if your Bios supports it, the PIII prices are dropping like rocks and I wouldn't reccomend a Celeron with the prices the PIII's are at. But if you are on a budget or if your motherboard won't support a PIII I would reccomend you get a Coppermine Celeron and put it on a FC-PGA Slocket. You can pick up a 700 mhz Celery(can be overclocked to above 900 mhz) for like $85 and a slocket for around$10-$15. Check out http://www.dynastyexpress.com because they have excellent prices. Right now a 128 meg dimm of PC-133 is only $45 with a lifetime warranty =0)

Doom Overlord said:

The other day I had a PIII EB@800 mhz and now I have it a little over a ghz =0)! The only upgrading I did was putting on a Golden Orb Heatsink/Fan and I overclocked the piss outta it. Talk about a cheap upgrade =0)

And You Think That Sux! Wait Till You Hear This!
* Cyrix 266mhz
* 64mb Ram (PC-100)
* Voodoo 2 12mb

- That Is What You Call A Heap Of Crap!
Oh Well, It Lets Me Update My Website. lol

Doom Overlord said:

This is a reply to fodders thread. The best processor for you can get for your slot 1 motherboard is a Pentium III if your Bios supports it, the PIII prices are dropping like rocks and I wouldn't reccomend a Celeron with the prices the PIII's are at. But if you are on a budget or if your motherboard won't support a PIII I would reccomend you get a Coppermine Celeron and put it on a FC-PGA Slocket. You can pick up a 700 mhz Celery(can be overclocked to above 900 mhz) for like $85 and a slocket for around$10-$15. Check out http://www.dynastyexpress.com because they have excellent prices. Right now a 128 meg dimm of PC-133 is only $45 with a lifetime warranty =0)

Damn m/b only supports P2/P3 up to 500 mhz seems they are pretty hard to find nowadays :(