Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Duker900

Processor overclocking

Can I overclock my processor past the boards mhz limit or does it stop there?
I have A P-166 with an i430FX Genuine Intel mainboard
my comp sux
:P

well u can do some stuff to the board to raise the limit, i think u can. I never tried messing with the board but overclocking the cpu is easy just get some good cooling fans.

If you want to clock your chip, you do it two ways. The first, and most common is to mess with the multipliers. On a motherboard as old as yours, they will probably be in the form of jumpers on the motherboard. have a look at the motherboard manual (if you have it) to find out which ones, and what values they represent. (for a 166, they are probably set to 66mhz X2.5)
They second way does not always work. Try knocking up the cpu core voltage (again, on an older board, probably jumpers. if not, check the bios) by .1 or .2 of a volt. this, on some boards, will let you exceed the max clock speed of the motherboard.

any help?

Anymore questions, give me a shout.

You need http://tomshardware.com/
but I remember buying a 166 and immediately overclocking it to 200 never had any trouble with it

i dunno, i used software to overclock my pentium 133, it worked. before that i couldn't play theif. then i instelled it and it wroked. then i installed a game that required a 233 mmx and it worked. only the pc didnt have mmx. in fact it didnt really even have a 3d card. it had a matrox millenium with 2 megs of ram...unreal tournametn runs on it

goto a cumputer show thingy spend 40$$ or less on a p233mmx and upgrade then if you whant over clock to a 300mhz

Nobody really answered you. One can not overclock past the boards mhz limit. All you can do is set the jumpers to the max. A P166 can usually run at 233 with no problem.

You can put in "overclocked" chips (like Evergreen), but they are not worth the money. As noted, you can get a "used" PII300 +mb for the same amount of money and have a much better deal. Biggest expense is memory. Go to Ebay and look around.

I have an extra PII300 (overclockable to 450 at stock voltage) and an Abit bh6 (use to overclock) mb that is going to Ebay soon as I find some time:))

PS: P200 and P233 are multiplier locked, so don't bother trying to go past the rated figure. The way one overclocks the newer processors is to change the bus speed - the multiplier is still locked.