• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fragg

Doom3 screenshots NOT a good sign......

Guest fragg

The Doom3 presentation in Tokyo:
A TON of "dark as midnight" screenshots.
I could barely see a thing, barely make out details.
Was this presentation purely a "tech-demo"? I think not.
Heck, a mere dozen "dark screenys" would have been SUFFICIENT to demonstrate the "D3 Engine power", and "GeForce3 power".

But, almost all of the shots were dark as midnite.
This tells me that D3 is not going to be a Doom game.
Not Doom as we know it.

A dozen "Dark" shots would have been a good, sufficient, "tech demo" of Carmack's D3-Engine and Nvidia's GF-3.
But 30-odd "Dark" shots?
That, tells me Id was saying....
"GENTLEMEN, YOU ARE BEING GIVEN A TINY, FIRST-PEEK, AT THE D3 GAME.
IT WILL WIND UP BEING SOMETHING LIKE THIS ....
A VERY DARK, DARK STRUGGLE, IN A VERY DARK MIDNIGHT-WORLD".

It's gonna be a single-player "Midnite Crawl".
Fighting enemies you can hardly see in "Fancy High-Tech Places" (where you can hardly see).
All filled with "Superb Graphics" you can't enjoy (because you can't hardly see any details).
And it'll be boxed n'marketed as a "Doom" game.

Id can call it what it wants, that's their right.
But what I saw was not a Doom game.
One comfort is, you probably won't need to buy a "$500 GF-3".
Why not? Because in D3 u won't be able to see much anyway <g>.

I sure hope time proves me wrong, I'll be first to apologize.
But, as Luke Skywalker said in "StarWars" (just before disaster struck)--"I got a bad, bad feelin' about this".
fragg

Carmack has said the following (on slashdot):

"Unfortunately, the giant projector screens are not color calibrated the same way at all. The colors did get rather washed out on the big screen."

Presumably this explains the darkness as well. Plus the fact that for some very gay reason who ever took those shots decided to against the unofficial convention of never using .jpgs for screenshots by using .jpgs for screenshots.

Anyway, some people won't be happy with the new game unless they just use the old Doom 1/2 engine with added opengl and improved netcode...

I dont care if they use either this or anything else, i'm just happy that their bringing Doom back into the new millenium (if i spelled that right)

NiGHTMARE said:

"Unfortunately, the giant projector screens are not color calibrated the same way at all. The colors did get rather washed out on the big screen."

Presumably this explains the darkness as well. Plus the fact that for some very gay reason who ever took those shots decided to against the unofficial convention of never using .jpgs for screenshots by using .jpgs for screenshots.

Anyway, some people won't be happy with the new game unless they just use the old Doom 1/2 engine with added opengl and improved netcode...

"who ever took those shots decided to against the unofficial convention of never using .jpgs for screenshots by using .jpgs for screenshots."

What's wrong with .jpgs?

"Anyway, some people won't be happy with the new game unless they just use the old Doom 1/2 engine with added opengl and improved netcode..."

Who are these jerks? wtf we have that already it's called JDoom. Personally I hope Doom 3 will have a totally new kind of gameplay. If some idiots want Doom gameplay they can bloody well go play their sourceports and not bitch about the new Doom game if it ends up something different. Don't get me wrong, there's just something mysterious in the ol' Doom games which keeps me playing them over and over... I'm not saying it sucks but we already have that why make it again?

jpgs may be great for real-life photos, but the compression on a jpg file is quite "lossy" meaning lots of details are blurred over.

Yep but with minimum compression it's not noticeable, and the filesize is still smaller than .bmps and such.

Guest Nodus

You have to watch the movie to get the full effect. You can only truely see the power the engine has to make light with all the darkness around. Yes its a little too dark but I think they made it that way to contrast with the amazing lights. Anyone who hasnt seen the movie isnt getting the full effect. The lights arent just blinking and colored like in all the quake games. Like carmack said, they make the line between things you interact with and static things disapear.

Espi said:

What's wrong with .jpgs?

Haven't you seen JPEGs? You know, those images with giant pixel/color blocks and smears all over them? Compression they call it. ::chills run up and down spine:: JPEGs can replace bitmaps on websites if their compression is 1% and they use no subsampling. You can go to 10% compression without too badly ruining the image, depending on it's original quality of course. For the most part, they are pitifully poor and distorted images.

I think if DooM3 is anything like this it will be very good. I mean, how much more can we go with bright light doom games. 5 have been produced and sold by ID in total like this and they get pretty boring like that. But what I still want to see is 10 monsters crammed into a room and monsters often. Not quake-like gameplay. I like the graphics personally, but im sure since the game isn't even near finished light area will be inserted. This was most likely to just show off what the card can do. All in all, I have faith in ID that a good game will be produced.

Espi said:

"who ever took those shots decided to against the unofficial convention of never using .jpgs for screenshots by using .jpgs for screenshots."

What's wrong with .jpgs?

"Anyway, some people won't be happy with the new game unless they just use the old Doom 1/2 engine with added opengl and improved netcode..."

Who are these jerks? wtf we have that already it's called JDoom. Personally I hope Doom 3 will have a totally new kind of gameplay. If some idiots want Doom gameplay they can bloody well go play their sourceports and not bitch about the new Doom game if it ends up something different. Don't get me wrong, there's just something mysterious in the ol' Doom games which keeps me playing them over and over... I'm not saying it sucks but we already have that why make it again?

<< What's wrong with .jpgs? >>

.jpgs are great for photos or even sketches, but for things like game screenshots or textures, they are a very bad idea indeed.

.bmp, gif, .png or even .pcx are best for these kind of things.

<< Who are these jerks? >>

Judging from the comments to the news, they're something like half the Doom community.

Guest Aradiel

I too thought the same thing. It didn't make me repeat 'ohmygosh
ohmygosh ohmygosh' a thousand times and make me wet myself, like it should have. Well, scratch the wet myself part :)

Doom is, very obviously, a dark game. Low lighting gives it that 'air' that makes it so enjoyable and keeps us coming back for more. But these shots... it seemed a lot more like a FMV from Resident Evil than a screenshot of a Doom game...

I'd like to point out that a lot of you have very valid points. While the big screen washing out the colours may or may not be true (I personally believe it to be true), it does look very dark.

I think this is gonna either go two ways. It's going to be a landmark of 3d gaming, a complete revolution, a game so far beyond anything there is now, just like back when Doom was released for the first time so long ago. It could be a remarkable thing, something that you see shots of on CNN and news programs about how the game affects the population and so forth, and getting massive media attention, again, like the originals.

Or it'll be the biggest damn flop of all time. Either way, let's keep an open mind, and see for ourselves when it's released.

Guest D|RE

Also like Obi-Wan said in starwars "Use the force" cuz u sure as hell wont be able to see anything <g>

But i agree with you, i only hope that the whole washed out colors thing explains the darkness other wise it looks like my monitor brightness will be turned all the way up

NiGHTMARE said:

good idea......lets release the latest ZDoom as doom3!