Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest giltygear

OH GOD SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!

Guest giltygear

Hello, its me again, the resident idiot. I have another question that I hope SOMEBODY out there can help me with. It has to do with editing, so hold on:

Can someone tell me (IN PLAIN ENGLISH!!!) how to make a 3-D bridge in WadAuthor?

I'm also not looking to see how to make it for any source ports, either; I wanna do it in the doom(2).exe (if it's possible at all).

I've been to DW's editing pages and theyre no help (they also say that you have to be very competent in level editing to understand what its talking about, and seeing as how im new at this and im an idiot, that kinda cancels that idea out). I tried many a resources (like Rick Clark's old ZDoom reference on the topic that I printed out a while back) and came up empty handed.

My friends, I need help desperately!! I'm a member of JXT's UAC project and my submission for it looks like crap. I'm hoping that when I finally learn how to do this, my second level wont suck. Thank You.

giltygear :

3D Bridge is one of the ZDoom easy trick.

1- create a room of 256 tall

2- you need to put an things like a scenery body leg. (a blocking things) Just in the "Z" angle, set him as 128 from the ceiling. Now the thing is set up as your foot if you have a sub-sector of 128 tall.

3- create a single linedef and on his "Y" angle, set him up as 112 form the floor and use a texture like steptop or anothers you want.

4- You dont want to see the bridge thing looking as a scenery bodu legs ?, well open a wad editor like Wintex and change the thing texture for a 1 pixel of cyan color.

But if you want a perfect things to make a 3d bridge, use the thing number #118 from the Raw Data

I hope this will help you !

yo, 3d stuff will NOT work in the original doom or doom2 exe files. You must use a source port like zdoom or you will get a ton of weird errors!

- ZDoom has no special 3D features
- It IS possible to do a 3D bridge with the normal DOOM engine. The best explanation that I know of can be found at http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.shtml
(That is basically the way I make 3D bridges)

esco said:

yo, 3d stuff will NOT work in the original doom or doom2 exe files. You must use a source port like zdoom or you will get a ton of weird errors!

Play Memento Mori, Requiem, Hell Revealed or just about any other mega-wad for the normal .exe

You will see that you are talking bollocks, as there are plenty of 3D bridges.

NiGHTMARE said:

there are plenty of 3D bridges.

Yeah but you know what? They suck. They look like crap. Doom wasn't meant to do these things. And I mean the engine, I'm not saying 3d is evil, but one needs a sourceport to do these kinds of things properly.

From my post to a similar question on the Editing forums (applies to ZDooM):

The 3D bridge effect is created by doing 2 things. First, the bridge itself is created by inserting lines that represent the floor rails of the bridge. The <u>main<u> texture should be one that is around 16 high (STEPTOP is commonly used), lower unpegged, and z height of, say, 128 above the ground. When complete, this will look like a ladder laid horizontally across your path, at a height of 128 above the ground. Second, you need to create and insert a series of "invisible" and blocking things at a height that corresponds to the ladder-like bridge. Blocking, so that you can step on it and not fall through your bridge, invisible for obvious reasons. (You can replace something like the Chain w/Half Player Torso and Legs (blocking) with a graphic of a "transparent" pixel -- WinTex uses cyan as the transparent color.) The things are at a height that allow you to walk under the bridge and not be blocked, and when you want to cross the bridge make it appear that you are walking on the bridge floor rails."

Hope this helps.

NiGHTMARE said:

Play Memento Mori, Requiem, Hell Revealed or just about any other mega-wad for the normal .exe

You will see that you are talking bollocks, as there are plenty of 3D bridges.

They all look like sideways ladders. I wish people would at least cross-hatch them.

X-DOOM said:

giltygear :

3D Bridge is one of the ZDoom easy trick.

1- create a room of 256 tall

2- you need to put an things like a scenery body leg. (a blocking things) Just in the "Z" angle, set him as 128 from the ceiling. Now the thing is set up as your foot if you have a sub-sector of 128 tall.

3- create a single linedef and on his "Y" angle, set him up as 112 form the floor and use a texture like steptop or anothers you want.

4- You dont want to see the bridge thing looking as a scenery bodu legs ?, well open a wad editor like Wintex and change the thing texture for a 1 pixel of cyan color.

But if you want a perfect things to make a 3d bridge, use the thing number #118 from the Raw Data

I hope this will help you !

Even better now X-Doom,

Remember Randy has included a new 3D bridge object for the most recent beta releases. Thing number 9990 can have its radius and height (from top of the thing to the bottom of the thing) as well as its X-coordinate in the level set.

Oops, I don't mean X-coordinate, of course I mean Z-coordinate (i,e, its height in the level).

TheProphet said:

- ZDoom has no special 3D features
- It IS possible to do a 3D bridge with the normal DOOM engine. The best explanation that I know of can be found at http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.shtml
(That is basically the way I make 3D bridges)

Wrong. ZDoom DOES have special 3D features:

1) The ability to set the Z offset of sprites (i.e. how high they are off the ground).

2) A special "3D bridge" invisible sprite, which you can alter the radius and height of, as well as how far they are off the ground.

TheProphet said:

There is an "Edit" button; you don't have to make a new post :-)

sheeat why dont you guys make a editor for this crap like Ken silvermen's build (3drealms duke3d/shadow warrior mapping engine)
id be a hellofa lot easier then trying to constantly use new editors just to have the abilty to change z height (and a 3d view in an editor would really freakin help a bit)

Enjay said:

Even better now X-Doom,

Remember Randy has included a new 3D bridge object for the most recent beta releases. Thing number 9990 can have its radius and height (from top of the thing to the bottom of the thing) as well as its X-coordinate in the level set.

Where should we be watching for info like this, from Randy?
I was totally unaware of any new thing added to zdoom beta. Randy does not put anything in "news" on zdoom.notgod.com. Damn,
I just finished writing a load to help someone with the "old" way or old information.

Espi said:

Yeah but you know what? They suck. They look like crap. Doom wasn't meant to do these things. And I mean the engine, I'm not saying 3d is evil, but one needs a sourceport to do these kinds of things properly.

In some ways I agree. They are technically great, but show them to someone who doesnt know how the engine works, and doesn't understand how much effort they take to make, and they'll tell you it looks stupid.

TheProphet said:

There is an "Edit" button; you don't have to make a new post :-)

Heh, yup, that makes sense. I'll know next time. Thanx.