Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

BIOS story

ok i just fixed and put win98 on my dads older computer, this computer is kind of old at least 6 years, it has 133mhz, 4gb hard drive(3 years old), and 40mb ram. but the motherboard and BIOS are the 6 year old parts. when i fdisked, and formated his hard drive the BIOS would not let me make a boot sector large enough for win98 so u got to use a start up disk. now my dad is pissed cause he has to use a disk to start up his computer. i told him i could fix the chip for $5 and a total upgrade for $60 but he refused, damn cheap ass lawyer

sephiroth said:

ok i just fixed and put win98 on my dads older computer

You must really hate him.

Lüt said:

You must really hate him.

Hahahahahahahaha. Giggle. Heh.

Hey this time I didn't spew coffee all over my monitor!

That's 'cause I wasn't drinking any :P

You know, I don't think it's a good idea to drink coffee while visiting these forums. Besides the risks of spewing the coffee on the monitor, it's just plain dangerous to drink it, because it might have an extra "special" ingrediant which you really don't want to be drinking, not that I'm naming any names *cough Macvilewhore *cough. Ewwwwwwww!!! That's part of the reason I don't drink coffee (besides the fact that it tastes terrible and everything).

What do you mean exactly? Not that I've done "every" possible system, but I have put win98 on systems that old and older (even a 486).

The boot sector is hardly "big". I bet you came up with a message that indicated something was trying to modify the boot sector? (which win98 does do). So turn of the boot sector protection in you BIOS and it will all be better (after you reinstall). That was on "old" DOS better-than-nothing approach to virus protection that now gets in the way of a Windows install.

And as the other person noted, turn on "big disk" support too, when you FDISK.

geekmarine said:

You know, I don't think it's a good idea to drink coffee while visiting these forums. Besides the risks of spewing the coffee on the monitor, it's just plain dangerous to drink it, because it might have an extra "special" ingrediant which you really don't want to be drinking, not that I'm naming any names *cough Macvilewhore *cough. Ewwwwwwww!!! That's part of the reason I don't drink coffee (besides the fact that it tastes terrible and everything).

Yeah dude, you should know that by now.

I hate coffee anyways. It's almost as nasty as water.