Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kaiowas

New to the community...got a couple questions

Hey, dudes/dudettes, what's up?

I've got a TC I'm working on, and it's based on Doom2, but I want to make a ZDoom version, too. At this point, I started to find all kinds of versions like ZDoom, CSDoom, and LMNOPDoom.

Can you guys tell me what's available, and what they do?

Thanx.

ICQ#: 92112427

Okay, there are a few ports of zdomm that do similar things. First of all, everything available in ver 1.22 verson of zdoom is available in all of its little brain children.

Csdoom -provides internet play to doom (like quake) discontinued by its origional author, but zdaemon is the continuation of it.

skulltag -new features, weapons and bot improvment, has to really be played to be enjoyed. Like unreal tourniment for doom.

zdoomgl -the gl verson of zdoom with added features like model support (.md2) and lens flares.

zdoom its-self provides acs scripting (a-la hexen), full boom support (too much stuff to mention) poly-objects (hexen again), particle effects (with the q2 railgun), and comming soon, skyboxes, mirrors and slopes (available in the new beta verson)

for more info, visit the z doom homepage at zdoom.notgod.com

Yo, since you is a newbie here, let me be da first ta say....

WELCOME TO HELL, DAWG! MWA HA HA HA HAAAAA...

Just playin' wit ya... anyways, I noticed ya didn't mnetion
EDGE in yo list up there. While I use zdoom more than any other ones, edge is pretty tight too, and has all kinds of crazy shit in it! You should try it out.

Also there are several gl source ports that support md2 graphics (much like quake2), you can find da best ones right here on doomworld under the "source ports" section! Basically, if it ain't here... 99% of da time, it ain't gonna be no good!

Anyways, there be too much stuff out there for anyone ta list for ya, so just look around, try different stuff out, and see what works best for ya! And read the dang txt files, they is mad helpful. You said that you is workin' on a tc, do you have a site that it's up on or somethin? If so what's da address to it?

Let me know wuzzup, yo! Peace out!

Lüt said:

SEPULTURA!! Du-du-dun!!!

::starts up Chaos A.D.::

And leagacy which is a great engine that now comes with opengl.

esco said:

EDGE in yo list up there. While I use zdoom more than any other ones, edge is pretty tight too, and has all kinds of crazy shit in it! You should try it out.

Also there are several gl source ports that support md2 graphics (much like quake2), you can find da best ones right here on doomworld under the "source ports" section! Basically, if it ain't here... 99% of da time, it ain't gonna be no good!

Anyways, there be too much stuff out there for anyone ta list for ya, so just look around, try different stuff out, and see what works best for ya! And read the dang txt files, they is mad helpful. You said that you is workin' on a tc, do you have a site that it's up on or somethin? If so what's da address to it?

Esco you seem to know doom pretty damn good, I would like to ask you are u working on any maps or TC's cause you sound like u are.

ZDoom and Legacy are the two biggest ports out right now. Edge is also gaining a lot of support due in part to some excellent levels recently released for it.

In a nutshell, the biggest selling points for Legacy are: recently added 3d floors capability, a decent implementation of opengl graphics, and fraggle script.

In Zdoom's favor are the ablilty to do slopes, colored lighting and acs scripting. 3d floors are planned to be added soon too if I'm not mistaken.
From what I've heard though it's opengl mode is problematic. Others, including myself, have problems getting it to run properly.

Edge, from what I can gather, has a boatload of potential. All sorts of interesting features are either already present or will be added in it's next version. It too can do 3d floors, colored lights, fancy elevators, and all sorts of effects and architecture that you have seen in more recent 3d shooters.

I've probably left out a bunch of features of these ports. For a more detailed list you can check out their respective homepages. You can find the links to them in Doomworlds source port section.

If you want to see some of these ports in action to give you an idea of just what they are capable of I'd recommend checking out Rick Clark's Edge level "The Lost One" and Kurt Keslers most recent ZDoom Level KZDoom7. Both of these levels are bloody amazing and should give you a lot of inspiration.

You can download The Lost One from:

http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/lstone.zip (cdrom.com's archive for doom levels is currently down).

You can download KZDoom7 from:

http://www.fidnet.com/~kesler/zips/kzdoom7.zip.

esco said:

my tc site is http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/RoboDoom/

but none of the links work, (i'm getting it all overhauled).
the only other page that's up is /RoboDoom/updates.html

Thank you guys so much for all your help!

Lemme see if I got it: There's ZDoom, CsDoom, Zdaemon, EDGE, and Legacy. Now these are all different attempts at the same goals, right? -- (online multiplayer, GL, etc..)

Wow, it seems like there's no limit to what's being developed! As soon as you make a TC, it's dated, and you have to make a new version that supports new engine effects!

BTW, I forgot to mention Skulltag. It's pretty much the same as ZDoom with loads of new features and gameplay possibilies for online multiplayer. It's an improvement over CsDoom.

sephiroth said:

Esco you seem to know doom pretty damn good, I would like to ask you are u working on any maps or TC's cause you sound like u are.

Yo, believe it or not yo, I have been learning to work with visual c++. I am waiting until either edge, or zdoom get developed enough and then I will be doing some coding changes to get rid of "annoying" things in da code like..

1) not being able to pick unique music for each text screen in doom, and for when the enemies are shown!

2)trying to enable 16-bit sprites support, or make it so that each sprite has it's own apparent palette (like quake 2!)

3)adding in the nightmare imp, and doom 64 arachnatron. Rename doom arachnotron as "spider wight, or as "hatchling," or some other shit.

4)make it so that spider mastermind has it's own shooting sound, and does a lot more damage with each bullet!

And many other things! I am also in the process of making an upgraded doom2, but this won't be done for a while. Making maps, and working wit sounds and gfx takes a lot of time! Thanks for yo interest though!

P.S. good work on killin' that li'l bitch in da pink dress (aeris), I was tired of bangin' dat hoe anyways!