Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

The 'oldest oldie' award

Just wondering, some of you other oldies, when'd you get into the on-line Doom community?

It was May 1996 for me...

Oh, and I was kidding about a reward (unless it turns out to be me =p)

I can't remember. I stumbled onto Team Insanity at least a few months (if not many more) before DoomNation even began construction. I didn't care much for Doomworld back then. Back then was when Mr DooM's page was still big (I think his name or mail was Erie something). Most old-timers should remember that page. I wasn't online much before then, but back in '93 and '94 I used to download all those WADs off AOL's file server thing. I wasn't in on any communities though. Until late '97 or early '98 when I got in on TI.

Guest Nodus

Just click on the user? button on the bar in your posts, itll tell you exactly what day

Guest Nodus
elbryan42 said:

about a year ago. i've played doom since 94.

November 17, 2000 is hardly a year ago

I can't check as my original name, fod_vile was deleted by mordeth for something, can't remember what, he probably caught me in bed with his dad, it escapes me :)

Nodus said:

November 17, 2000 is hardly a year ago

I just never realized there was a forum, but I visited Doomworld regularly. And if my memory serves me correct, I've never asked a stupid question or acted like a newbie.

Nodus said:

Just click on the user? button on the bar in your posts, itll tell you exactly what day

He's going way back before the Doomworld Forums started; any community period. (Right?)

fodders said:

I can't check as my original name, fod_vile was deleted by mordeth for something, can't remember what, he probably caught me in bed with his dad, it escapes me :)

You know Mordeth has been around here recently, he said he was coming back by end of February or so, so start being careful again.

elbryan42 said:

I just never realized there was a forum, but I visited Doomworld regularly. And if my memory serves me correct, I've never asked a stupid question or acted like a newbie.

I started with the newsgroups some time in '97...

Before then (like Lut) I just downloaded tons of wads... I remember the first one I played ;) I found the biggest file on some site and downloaded it, asd2.zip

elbryan42 said:

Nope, but you haven't said all that much either ;)

(Except the last few weeks but I didn't bother getting into the Esco flamewars so I have no idea what went on there.)

Vorpal said:

I started with the newsgroups some time in '97...

Before then (like Lut) I just downloaded tons of wads... I remember the first one I played ;) I found the biggest file on some site and downloaded it, asd2.zip

The first good wad I found (good for back then, which meant more than two rooms or ten sectors) was Cringe, by Mark Klem. I loved those maps, those were my inspiration to get started with mapmaking. My friend talked to the guy a few times too and he told us a few things so that was cool. I got his replacement graphics and sounds too, which was killer on a 9600-baud modem. Totaled 6 MB or so. But well worth it.

hmm. I've been around since 1995. Mr. DooM's page. Mike Reed's page. DooM gate. Newsgroups ETC.

Lüt said:

The first good wad I found (good for back then, which meant more than two rooms or ten sectors) was Cringe, by Mark Klem. I loved those maps, those were my inspiration to get started with mapmaking. My friend talked to the guy a few times too and he told us a few things so that was cool. I got his replacement graphics and sounds too, which was killer on a 9600-baud modem. Totaled 6 MB or so. But well worth it.

I remember playing ASDOOM, if anyone remembers that.

fodders said:

Yo, I've been chillin wit doom since about 1995 or 1996, about a years after I first gots ta florida! Dis place is much wacker, than where I used to live so I started lookin' online and shit! I never really was interested in chatting or posting till recently, which is why I joined this forum!

But, I used to always be tryin' to program levels, and sounds, and even gfx into doom! I used to always want to do the impossible (and this is BEFORE good versions of dehacked existed!) and now wit all da tools we gots, I can! I used to give peeps in mah school mad advice on dis game, and when I showed them da shit I used to be makin' they couldn't believe their eyes! Even mah programming teacher thought mah stuff was da bomb!

It's even funny when ya think about... I mean picture a ghetto boricua like me, comin' up to ya either dressed in baggy clothes or pimped da fuck out, while you is playin' deathmatch and shit! Then when I opens my mouth, I is givin' you mad advice, and askin' ya all kinds a shit, like if ya know how to beat or program da damn game! Dat's somethin' ya sure as fuck don't see everyday!

Guest JudgeDooM

I don't remember when I discovered Doomworld (I think it was about 2 years ago), but when I did, I didn't pay attention to the forums. Then, when Doom 3 was announced, the D3 forum started. I registered at this time(3 june 2000).

fodders said:

What, you don't remember why Mordeth deleted your account? I do.
Heh. Senility must be setting in. :) I'm surprised Charlotte hasn't killed you yet. =)

I think I started visiting Doomworld around May or June of 1999.
It will be two years this spring for me. I've been playing Doom
for maybe a couple of months longer than that.

elbryan42 said:

I remember playing ASDOOM, if anyone remembers that.

I don't remember many names. That and Grok-It for Heretic are the two I remember. What was it?

I have been visiting Doomworld since around March 13, 1998 :P

I have been playing Doom since summer 1994, and I've been in the "Doom community" since 1995 or 1996 or something.

stphrz said:

What, you don't remember why Mordeth deleted your account? I do.
Heh. Senility must be setting in. :) I'm surprised Charlotte hasn't killed you yet. =)

I think I accused him of being in league with the kill doomserv faction :)

stphrz said:

I think I started visiting Doomworld around May or June of 1999.
It will be two years this spring for me. I've been playing Doom
for maybe a couple of months longer than that.

I knew about Doomworld, but I never came here for anything until Doomnation crashed and I was forced here. It's not so bad now that there's comments and forums, but I preferred the old DN forums a deal more than these.

Guest Aftermath

I'd have to say I'm quite an oldie. And if there was an award for most ever flamed person in the history or Doom, it'd probably go to me (or Gavin but I don't really remember much about him). Back around 1997 I first stumbled onto the Doom Community while roaming around on IRC, under the name phantom_l. I got a lot of people angry at me, especially the admins. Then I left for awhile and came back as afterm4th in like 1998 or something. Of course then I left for other things and haven't been back since 1999. But now I'm finally in high school (heh), and am ready to accept my Bastard-Oldie award, even though my doom days have been pretty spaced out. heh.

I've been with doom since the Doom Shareware.

Oh, i've been at Doomworld for a while, but i regestered October 2000

esco said:

Hello, I have been mellowing out via the Doom game since circa 1995 or 1996, approximately
one year after I migrated to Florida! This place is stranger than my previous abode, so I started using the internet and (expletive deleted)
I was pretty boring until recently when I decided to pester people on Doomworld forums!

Irrespective of this I over reached myself trying to redesign Doom even before appropriate tools for this were available, now with the influx of much better software, I am able to do this! I became a bit of a pest towards my peers at school, making them view below par offerings of my editing skills, although my Maths. teacher had no idea what I was trying to describe to him!

It is humourous if you peruse the matter....... consider a boy from a Puerto Rican ethnic slum, dressed like a scarecrow, while you are engaged in computer games against opponents and (expletive deleted)Then when I commence to speak, I talk a lot of mumbo jumbo and pestering you for information as to whether you knew how to complete the game or re-program it! That's something you don't come accross every day!

This translation service is brought to you at no extra cost, please subscribe to http://www.esco-da-bomb.com to keep this service alive

:)

Aftermath said:

I'd have to say I'm quite an oldie. And if there was an award for most ever flamed person in the history or Doom, it'd probably go to me (or Gavin but I don't really remember much about him). Back around 1997 I first stumbled onto the Doom Community while roaming around on IRC, under the name phantom_l. I got a lot of people angry at me, especially the admins. Then I left for awhile and came back as afterm4th in like 1998 or something. Of course then I left for other things and haven't been back since 1999. But now I'm finally in high school (heh), and am ready to accept my Bastard-Oldie award, even though my doom days have been pretty spaced out. heh.

Hey, weren't you the one doing that Doom City TC or whatever it was called?

It sounded as thought it would be pretty cool, maybe you should start it up again :)

The point of this post was to ask how long you've been in the on-line Doom community, not a) how long you've been played/editing Doom or b) how long you've been on Doomworld.

Guest Aftermath
NiGHTMARE said:

Hey, weren't you the one doing that Doom City TC or whatever it was called?

It sounded as thought it would be pretty cool, maybe you should start it up again :)

That sounds like a pretty cool idea, I'll think about it. I got some more free time lately so i could work on it (ive got nothing else to do)

fodders said:

Fodders... your gettin' on mah nerves! If you is gonna translate, at least do it right!

fodders said:

HAH! I can't believe nobody has done that yet. I was just talking about those jive guys in Airplane too.