Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Oldie Forums... WTF

Oldie forums? Are you people on crack? It's really not that hard to ignore the posts you don't want to read.

Plus it's not like I ever see many oldies making "good" posts or anything... most of the time you guys are just complaining about the newbies anyway. Start showing that you "oldies" would make good use of your own forum and we'll talk.

What's the point of an oldie forum anyway? Without new people and new ideas, what point is there in a forum at all? C'mon, can't everyone just accept that people are slowly joining the Doom community, and that not all of them are nice?

The point is to create a place for the veterans to talk about what they want to, and not explaining that doom3 won't be out this week.

Just do something where you have to have status to get in. Make it an "elite" forums, not an "oldie" forum. 'Course, I probably won't make it with my public release history (nothing) but oh well.

*gag*

I must say, you've surprised me with your stance on this issue.

Elite???? WTF????? Are you being sarcastic?

Yeah, to a certain extent. I didn't mean make a forum *here*, in addition to these. I just thought it would be like a personal forum instead of a public forum. But I guess there's #doomroom and e-mail already. Maybe I'm thinking of a newsgroup. I dunno anymore. Nevermind.

Whew. That's better :)

Actually you are right. There's that alkali set too. Not really Doom centered but what the hey.

Sir Fragsalot said:

What's the point of an oldie forum anyway? Without new people and new ideas, what point is there in a forum at all? C'mon, can't everyone just accept that people are slowly joining the Doom community, and that not all of them are nice?

HAH! Finally caught you.

<--------- address on the left (doom64 sprites)

The meaning of the words "forum" is that it is open for everyone. The word "elite forum" makes no sense at all. "We" should be happy about questions from new members maybe asking for comparisions between Doom and DukeNukem3D. I would not beg for a golden membership card of an "alpha" Doomworld forum.

fo.rum \'fo_-r-*m\ n, pl forums or fo.ra \-*\
1: the marketplace or central meeting place of an ancient Roman
city
2: a medium (as a publication) of open discussion
3: COURT
4: a public assembly, lecture, or program involving audience or
panel discussion

update:
But actually I have registered, only to look what happens :-D. Of course I will stay here. We should not force the Doom community´s splitting, since this community is like no other. Doom is 9 Years old and - you also recently noticed Esco and some other giving their time and bandwith to provide other Doomers with needed material? Outstanding! Imagine that to happen in a Quake or SOF forum?

Yeh it is no problem to look at a post header and decide to read or not, and if someone posts something that another decides was a waste of his time, what has it done exactly? Robbed his life of 12 seconds? As if he is gonna miss that time, get a grip people, a forum is an open discussion, next there will be people grabbing others in a bar screaming "you just breathed my air" :)

The point of an "oldie" forum would be so we could actually find an thread that we're interested in that's a couple of days old without wading through a hundred newbie threads.

Remember the good old days when there'd be like 30 replies to a message? Nowadays no-one can be bothered to look for the "old" (i.e. more than 24 hours ago) threads.

Three words. New forum software. These forums were fine when they were first put up. Now the number of users has tripled (at least) and they have reached their limit. Better forums would keep active topics close to the top making it easy to find a thread that has a good discussion going on. The throwaway ones would be pushed down and eventually disappear. I think that's a better solution to the problem. Besides, how do you propose keeping new people out of the oldies forum anyway? What kind of fool security measures will Ling have to implement to enforce the rules?

Guest Dream Destroyer

Which is what the vet forum does. :)

Guest Dark_Fox

I've somehow ventured out of the Doom3 forum, tis scary in here..
Mac?
DeadNail?
Zaldron?
Help..

*Feel's sorry for Dark_Fox and leads him (and his duck) back to the Doom3 forum*

Have deadnail or someone bring you next time ok? You shouldn't come here alone.

:)