Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sole-Survivor

Confused.

Guest Sole-Survivor

I came here with the intention of maybe downloading some custom wad files for final doom and have since become confused over the source port downloads, do i need these or are there some wad files out there i could download and run straight off? If so could someone please tell me were?

thanx in advance.

There should be some wad files out there somewhere that don't require an additional source port. But if you don't want to use source ports I recommend you download the one called Doom Legacy anyways. It's got OpenGl/3dfx support, a console, and lots of other cool effects like bullet holes in the walls and stuff.

Most (or all) of the sites hosted here at doomworld are mods, using a sourceport like Edge :) or Zdoom or something else. The reason for this, is that they offer many more opportunities to alter doom...

A source port like ZDoom or Legacy is good to have. They offer many enhancements to the old Doom engine. There are some terrific wads out there that require them, so yes, you should arm yourself with a few source ports in case you later want to try some of them out.

There are of course many many levels that don't require a source port. There aren't many wads for Final Doom specifically, but as far as I know, you can use the executables and iwads of Final Doom to run regular Doom2 levels.

You can find thousands of Doom2 levels here:

http://pelit.saunalahti.fi/idgames/levels/doom2/

Guest Sole-Survivor
ViperBoy said:

There should be some wad files out there somewhere that don't require an additional source port. But if you don't want to use source ports I recommend you download the one called Doom Legacy anyways. It's got OpenGl/3dfx support, a console, and lots of other cool effects like bullet holes in the walls and stuff.

Most (or all) of the sites hosted here at doomworld are mods, using a sourceport like Edge :) or Zdoom or something else. The reason for this, is that they offer many more opportunities to alter doom...

Thanks for the links i think once i get bored of playing the new levels i might check out the source ports. But until then, today is a good day to kill hellspawn in exciting new locations.

If you have trouble connecting to the link I gave you, try this one:

ftp://despayre.ath.cx/pub/mirrors/idgames/levels/doom2/