Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nightmare imp

remember your first DOOM experience

Maybe this topic was made before,maybe its stupid,but remember the good old memorys of your first dooming!

i Remember bacK in the day when I first Played DOOM.
It was exciting and scary!
fighting my very first zombie trooper and than to the imps and so on.Just remembering the roar of the cyberdemon and the exploding skulls.Oh so many memorys were back in the day,know what im saying?

it was once asked by AndrewB in somewhat different formulation:

"Your first connection to the DOOM community?" , posted Thu 25 May 2000

But that is not a stupid question. Maybe the best here on Doomworld since weeks.

I feel lazy now, so I copy/paste what a wrote in May 2000:

"Re(1):Your first connection to the DOOM commu" , posted Sat 27 May 22:59

------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first contact with Doom was in 1997. After playing "Marathon" from Bungie Software on my Mac, I got shareware MacDoom from a computer magazine CD and played it on my accelerated Quadra 610 (which you can compare with a 486 DX4/100). I still have this machine, even though my newest one is (I do not know how many times) faster. It is still a nice one. Then I played Doom2, Ultimate Doom and Final Doom. Final Doom´s (Mac Version) Plutonia Episode was full of errors, for example level 12 "Speed" crashed my Mac so hard, that it switched off by itself - imagine that! I had to extract this level with "Hellmaker", the great level-editor on the Mac and save it into a new WAD-file to play it.
I bought a modem one year ago, and from this time on I spent most online time with reading Doom-related sites and downloading WADs. I do not have written any WAD yet, but I feel like a member of the Doom-community. Sometimes I use to dream of Doom at night, slaughter and be slaughtered, and I plan to pick up some of them for a new Wad of my own. Even though I like "Marathon", I think that Doom is still the best first person shooter up to now, much better than all these new 3D shooter. Maybe I am going wild now, but I think that Doom is a kind of "piece of art" since so many people have played and still love this game. On some WADs I use to hear baroque music (my favorite music) from english and german compositors in the background.

Oh - time to recommend a WAD:

Abdelazer
Filename abdelaze.zip
Author Thomas Drugg

I think the question should be reformed to "Your 1st sexual experience? Are you looking forward to it?" :)

Yes, I do know what you're talking about. Everyone once and awhile I reflect back on my early memories of playing doom. The atmosphere, the secrets, the baddies. I remember exploring Phobos finding soul spheres tucked away in unsuspecting places and the eery mood of e2m4 and e3m4 have afffected my psyche permanently :) -

Guest M0NSTERZER0
Peter Heinemann said:

well, i was like 13 first time i played DOOM but i still think
it was my first sexual experience as well because after shooting
all those kick ass demons with cool ass weapons i creamed my
jeans..

heheh

really though all i could think about for a long time was DOOM..
the whole idea of it is still really badass.. It will always be
like the bible for video games to me cus it was the first game
that I ever fell in love with..(i know cheesy)

Quake2 was the second, but it didnt have the same zest as doom..
the mod SOG is cool as hell though and I play that alot..
unfortunately I no longer have DOOM.. Buying it for nintindo 64
though soon as I get to GameXchange.. 15 bucks 4 DOOM in the HOUSE!

-Zero

I was only nine or ten when my dad downloaded the shareware version from the internet. I used to watch him play. I thought 'This is awesome, like Wolfenstein with stairs and elevators...you can't get any better than this!' My dad finally let me play when I was 11 or 12 and it freaked me out. I was scared enough to just use god mode all the time. A death on Doom was almost as frightening as in real life. Well, now I play without iddqd anymore, but I hardly ever die (usually only killed by Cyberdemons).

I was playing the snes (yeah, yeah) and I was bout' 6 or 7.
I was really good (at least i thought so) at beat the hell out of the barons at e1m8 a million times, and went through the teleport and died a million times. I don't think there was notification that this was supposed to happen, and I always tried to kill the guys in the dark room a million times. I bought the computer version, noticed that this ALWAYS HAPPENS, and beat up the snes.

I think there's one of these threads on every General Forum archive page. Check those if you want mine.

My 1st experience?
I first saw and played Doom at my cousins' house. I was like "Hey this is similar to Wolfenstein!" Of course back then, I had no idea it was created by the same company. That was sometime before Christmas about 6 or 7 years ago. I've liked Doom ever since.

I just got my first computer (33mhz 4 mb ram). My mom and I were fiddling around with Windows 3.11 and then all of a sudden a shareware version of Doom popped up. I was like "WOW cool! I've heard of that game. They say it's really cool. Let me try". Ofcourse it was laggin' and everything (it was a 33mhz and it was running under Win3.11). I've (ofcourse) liked Doom ever since.