Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

Nintendo's new gameboy

it seems the last kick ass thing that has been ahead of the other companies the nintendo has released has been super nintendo. In my opinion nintendo has relesed alot of good stuff buyt it has been behind it become disapointing. N64 was great when it first came out but it still used the old cartrige which limited game sizes, it had kick ass graphics but was still behind many companies stuck with the playstation. gameboy was great when it fist came out too but it took the at least 5 years to upgrade and all they did was make it smaller. Then gameboy color not muched changed but the additon of color but the color display is weak. gamegear came out long befor gameboy color and it had sharper images and was ahead of the game. sega also had a portable genis system that was the size of game gear but played the normal games. If nintendo relesed a gameboy with the power of the N64 or even a playstation i would by the game boy advanced but it seems like anoth cheap upgrade that is long over due. look at the doom screen looks more like a beefed up wolf3d, no floor/celing and i bet the enemies will look as they did in the 32x version of doom. I am sure it could be better than it is going to be but i think it will just be a waste.

The game gear took 6 AA batteries and lasted what, 6 hours with them?

The game boy color takes 2 AAs and lasts 15+.

althou not handheld the psONE will have the addon screen and power pac. the only problem is that the screen isnt good and if your in a car or not near the table then it be kinda hard to play wille on your lap, since it could falloff wille you hold the controler

Arioch said:

The game gear took 6 AA batteries and lasted what, 6 hours with them?

The game boy color takes 2 AAs and lasts 15+.

...and lets not forget that if there were more than 6 sprites onscreen the flickering made it practically unplayable.

The Nomad was nice but was WAY too expensive.

sephiroth said:

gamegear came out long befor gameboy color and it had sharper images and was ahead of the game.look at the doom screen looks more like a beefed up wolf3d, no floor/celing and i bet the enemies wi

So what if it doesn't look as good as DooM? You seen how some non-3d games look on it? They look bloody brilliant!

And as for the Game Gear, sure it did have more colours, but it was horrendously inefficient. And besides, it hasn't been on store shelves for years. Meanwhile Gameboy sells on. That if anything is an indication of which is better.

deadnail said:

...and lets not forget that if there were more than 6 sprites onscreen the flickering made it practically unplayable.

Gameboy Advance - 32 bit system!
It should be worth getting. Plus the Playstations graphic were bad (look at all the little squares each charater is colored in with!) Now, if you look at N64 it is always solid looking without that problem. And since they came out with the new systems, Nintendo is coming out with Game Cube! They are on top of things!

Guest PFCRon

I don't do console games. I'm a PC only guy.

yea i prefer pc over any console game system. a m not saying the new gameboy will totaly suck ass and i think n64 is a good system but i am just saying they could be better. Nintendo has been behind in alot of there new technology but it seems that way with many systems now

sephiroth said:

yea i prefer pc over any console game system. a m not saying the new gameboy will totaly suck ass and i think n64 is a good system but i am just saying they could be better. Nintendo has been behind in alot of there new technology but it seems that way with many systems now

It always depends what kind of game you are playing though. If you are playing some type of sports game a console system is usually much better, while on the otherhand, Computers are good for multiplayer and strategic games.

Guest Nuno Correia
deadnail said:

I've had two Game Gears for 8 years and it was one of my favorite consoles that I owned (and mind you, those weren't few); not really for the technological aspects of it, but rather because I had a certain... love for it :)

It wasn't too expensive ($100), had a TV Tuner addon (included in those $100 as well as two games), and some crazy games. Not to mention the color screen and stereo sound with headphones.
It also was durable as hell, sustaining all kinds of damage (falls, liquid drops, moisture, you name it - I can prove it :) ).

Battery life, and that can't be denied, was short, as you mentioned, Arioch... but hell, that didn't make the Game Gear crap. Oh well, maybe I'm biased :P

PS: Deadnail, I don't think that the flickering was such a big deal, since most games were limited as to avoid it.

My favorite 2 consoles would be my SNES and my Playstation. Sure, I can never forget my Genesis, Dreamcast or my TI-994A but those two have definitely brought me the best gaming.

Metroid 3 and Castlevania SOTN... oh yeah. Thats what it is all about!

Most portable gaming units cost about $100, as will the GBA.

TV Tuner? Bah. Someone I know brought it to school. We couldn't get any channels to come out clearly except 9 from Chicago. Who gives a fuck about Momma's Family reruns?

My Gameboy took one hell of a beating before it finally gave up the ghost too. =)

As for battery life... I usually played Final Fantasy Legends 2 from a power cord... just to make sure it didn't cut out in a major battle. Heheh, God, that game was awesome!

You didn't think the flickering was a big deal??? Fuck, when I played one at Best Buy with a Sonic game and Streets of Rage (the big release games) there was ALWAYS a little flickering on the screen, in Streets of Rage one of my characters vanished for almost THREE solid seconds, during which I of course got knocked on my ass.

I should have to fight the AI, not the graphic flaws.

I understand, and respect, your fondness for the Game Gear. However, you must admit that the GBA has a lot going for it! =)