Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anybody like the idea of a DOOM RPG? (top down [like the old final fantasies]) with turned based battles? I was planning on making this with RPG Maker 2000.

I did plan on making a Doom RPG and I had the right tools and even the doom resources were converted to the RPG2k editor.

But like BBG said. It just got lame really quick. So I stopped.

I've been thinking of applying my own homebrew RPG system to the Doom engine. It'd be kinda like System Shock, but kinda... not. Like I say, it's a homebrew system, rather untested, and pretty unique.

bigbadgangsta said:

Heh, wtf? You have to much time.

actually, it took like 10 min to find those pics, and 5 to make blood and shit. so 15 wasted mins, o well, there's not much to do right now anyway.

Wildman already made one. It's called DTNC (Doom The Next Chapter). If you remove the ghey psionics it's pretty super.

ahh shut up people, be a little more supportive. Maybe to our surprise it won't suck and it will be worth to play. In any case, atleast railgunner will be busy without something.

Final Fantasy sucks.

The only time a Doom RPG wouldn't suck was if it was an action/RPG in the vein of System Shock/Ultima Underworld (like IMJack said). IMO that would seriously rule.

For a while I've been thinking of doing a Doom-ish RPG, after I've finally finished the Mordeth TC. You know: interactive NPCs, ability to buy/sell equipment, quests, maybe even (semi)random levels. A bit like Diablo, except -much- less heavy on the equipment gathering thing. The whole idea depends on there being a Doom engine that supports this kind of stuff.

The Guys at Doomcenter (i.e: me & BigD) were talking about starting a DC Community project that would use he eternity engine to make an RPG...

If it is a complete RPG it should be quite boring, but if you combine the traditional DOOM gameplay style with some easy to understand RPG elements it should be interesting.
If the puzzles are easy, and if you avoid the style of run several times across maps with no action, it should be something absolutley interesting.

Try use conventional DOOM puzzles items like the dark bible, the oficer's hand, the scepters, and all that stuff, you know..

i dunno how it would turn out...i made a doom ums for BW and it wasnt too much fun despite the details and effort i put in to it....

IMJack said:

It'd be kinda like System Shock, but kinda... not. Like I say, it's a homebrew system, rather untested, and pretty unique.

So it'd be like Daggerfall or Arena, where you just gain levels??

Adding RPG elements to Doom would be cool. Here's some stuff that IMHO would be pretty cool.

- Stats

This would probably only consist of things like strength, dexterity and constitution; other stats like charisma, wisdom and intelligence would be irrelevant unless NPCs and/or some kind of scripted puzzles are also added.

- Skills

More specific than stats. This could, for example, include different weapons skills (light weapons, heavy weapons, energy weapons, etc) that make your aiming better and let you reload and fire slightly faster. Swimming and jumping are other examples.

- Experience points and levels

This would finally add the feeling that you're really being rewarded as you progress through the game, one of the few things missing from Doom. As you gain levels, you gain skill points (not stats) and hitpoints.

- Upgradeable weapons

You would be able to upgrade them yourself (which would require some kind of modifcation skill), and you would find better versions of existing weapons lying around. I'm not talking about a +5 Holy Chainsaw or something, rather they're upgraded via mechanical / electrical means.

- Inventory

Self explanatory. It should include permanent armour, which would be seperated into head, chest, arms, hands, legs and feet

- NPCs

All of them should talk to you. If an enemy appears, some will fight, others will run away. Maybe some could even faint or something ;)

pilottobombadier said:

So it'd be like Daggerfall or Arena, where you just gain levels??

Nope. No levels. More like ShadowRun (tabletop or SNES) where you earn training (Karma) points and can choose which skills or attributes to invest them in. Advanced skills cost more Karma than beginner-level skills.

My homebrew system is similar to ShadowRun, certainly inspired by it, but works differently. The three key elements are 1) the higher you roll on a (virtual) d100, the better you do; 2) everything has a percentage health (100% is full health, 0% is dead); 3) there's lots of division involved. ;)

hasnt this already been done? I remember a FINISHED RPG based on doom and ive been looking around for it

Well Mordeth, if Strife support ever gets into the source ports, you may just have your wish, ya know? Although I think something like a fallout skill, level, and perk system might be cool...heh...Fallout Doom...now THERE'S a project...

Well. Like Darknation and BigD, using the Eternity engine as a base would be my first choice too. Especially since I'm using it now as well. of course, it needs to be modded for all the specific RPG stuff.

The whole thing set in Mordeth episode 3 style with a legend/fantasy backdrop (ie. castles, magic, knights and an evil demonic force trying to invade that world), with probably three different heroes to choose from (pure warrior, pure caster, and a hybrid just like Hexen).

The heroes can advance in level (by gaining experience, bonus from quests), with each new level granting you access to new skills or being to able to wield better weapons. I haven't decided exactly how... a point system where you can invest in certain skills is nice, but I'll prolly go for a hybrid system. I don't think the Diablo system with points for vitality / strength etc is the way to go. There also would have to be an inventory, like in Hexen, where you can store weapons and other stuff and select those you want to actually wear. And, maybe a chest of some sort where you can store stuff you can't wear.

Quests can range from "slay this pesky dragon" and "clear that mountain pass of evil demons" to "find the ingredients for a cure" and "organise this towns defence against a horde of demons". Now and then slain monsters or completed quests would grant you a new item, but most of all gold. Gold and gaining experience will be the main way you can upgrade your hero. Quests can vary depending on your type of hero, and there's got to be lot of optional quests which still tie in with the main plot of the story. The hero can buy or sell stuff from his inventory at shops by dealing with NPC's. Gold is the currency here, or else trading.

I would really, REALLY like being able to create random levels by arranging pre-made level parts into actual levels according to a 'seed' schematic but I guess that's a bit too much to ask for.

Of course, this is all way ahead in the future :) I've got other stuff to complete first, plus I want to dabble/play other RPGs a bit to decide with elements are worth taking over.

pilottobombadier said:

Well Mordeth, if Strife support ever gets into the source ports, you may just have your wish, ya know? Although I think something like a fallout skill, level, and perk system might be cool...heh...Fallout Doom...now THERE'S a project...

DeePSea has support for making Strife maps so there is a base to work with I guess. Here is what I see would need to be coded for Strife to work with ports

Talking to people
Jumping (the jump in Strife is shitty, you have to look where you want to jump I.E. - you cannot jump on something behind you, you have to look at it)
Transluecent things (windows)
Silent attacks (the punch and the crossbow mode 2)
Weapons that take health from you (mauler mode 2 and the Sigil)
Different paths in the game
Inventory
Upgrading weapons (the Sigil)
Assinging a colour to things (like peasents and guards)
Hubs
Have to make the port call on strife.wad (or strife1.wad but that too is the full version) and voices.wad (optional however)
Intermissions (like when Macil tells you about the Programmer)

That is just what I see, but there code have been more things that were done to make Strife.