Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

IO addresses

ok i am good with computers but i have never really goten into have to need an IO adress but i am trying to learn and use linux more and i just replaced my modem, so how do i find its adress

Um, I don't think that will help fod. He want's to know its io address not ip address (io has to do with memory I think).

sephiroth: In Windows, right click My Computer and choose "properties" from the context menu. Then click on "Device Manager". Double click on "Modem" from your list of devices, then double click on the modem brand name that appears.
Click on the "Resources" tab and that should tell you what you need to know. If you are not running Windows on your machine at all (like in a dual boot setup) I don't know...

Yeah. Thats the program that runs when you right click my computer and select properties :) Glad to hear you've got things worked out.

Stphrz said:

Um, I don't think that will help fod. He want's to know its io address not ip address (io has to do with memory I think).

sephiroth: In Windows, right click My Computer and choose "properties" from the context menu. Then click on "Device Manager". Double click on "Modem" from your list of devices, then double click on the modem brand name that appears.
Click on the "Resources" tab and that should tell you what you need to know. If you are not running Windows on your machine at all (like in a dual boot setup) I don't know...

Yeh it's not often I am right , but I'm wrong again :) think I misread it totally

I believe IO address, stands for input/output address! It stands for da address listed in the bios which is used to receive sound that is fed into da cpu, and to output it to the speakers. If the io addresses are da same, it would cause a hardware conflict within da systems settings! Yo it would take a lot more to explain it totally, but this be da best way for me to sum it up for ya! Hope it helps!

P.S. dis is just ONE example of how it would work with midi or wave devices. It would be da same general idea though for other peripheral devices like a printer!

esco said:

I believe IO address, stands for input/output address! It stands for da address listed in the bios which is used to receive sound that is fed into da cpu, and to output it to the speakers. If the io a

I believe IO address, stands for input/output address! (Esco gets confused here and starts talking about sound cards, while it is clear the guy wants info on his modem)........... :)
"It would be da same general idea though for other peripheral devices like a printer"
Please do not try to fit your printer in the modem slot, it's very difficult to close the case if you do this

Ha, ha, funny fodders.... actually I wasn't all up there when I wrote dat post, because I didn't explain myself too well. Maybe I should delete it... NAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! It could still be useful to him, being 90% of peripherals use the IO address' in da same form, INCLUDING MODEMS! And I say 90% JUST IN CASE there are some that don't! Then again I'm using windows, and he's using linux, but in da bios it's all da same!