Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zeratul 982

Doom 64 engine cont.

I noticed something similar about the bridges.
In the level "Terror Core", there are bridges that you can go under like stooge999 said.

Check this out...:

When you're at the area where the bridge goes over, hit the switch lowering the gate blocking the lift and a bunch of demons, lost souls and imps will spawn. Try to kill most of the demons and imps before the lost souls do, but do so UNDER the bridge. There were about 5 dead demons and imps under the bridge when I tried this. Now go to the lift and you'll be at the door that leads to the bridge. When you approach the door, you will then hear this loud "SQUISH!" You will then notice that the dead demon and imp sprites are ON TOP of the bridge they were under, but they're all "squished monster" sprites. Do back down under the bridge and the sprites are back below the bridge.

Anyway, besides how gruesome that may be, doesn't that kind of resemble the "floor lower" and "raise" technique that stooge999 brought up, or maybe that bridge-building technique from zdoom?

But what about the level with the screen on the floor ina few places that you can walk over and under? Otherwise they probably used the lower raise trick, but what about the side rails? In some levels they seem to be able to make sectors above sectors (see "in the void").

I think I was right about the sprite thing. What you described sound very much like a glitch that shouldn't happen if the game was true 3d.

Lazer said:

But what about the level with the screen on the floor ina few places that you can walk over and under? Otherwise they probably used the lower raise trick, but what about the side rails? In some levels they seem to be able to make sectors above sectors (see "in the void").

Have a look at this by Toke it's quite good http://toke.dynip.com/VEXBETA9.zip

Lazer said:

I forget what WAD it was (I think its from a site sponsered by Doomworld), but somone made a level with rows of bar sprites which you can cross over and go under and in effect make a bridge. I don't know if this can happen or regular Doom though, because I was using ZDoom.

sephiroth said:

i think it is based on the original doom engine and has some of its lesser qualities.

If you can port the Doom source to 100% ASM I could give you a yes or no. Doom64 was programmed in ASM, but unless I have an ASM version of the original Doom engine, I can't tell you if they're similar.

3D bridges aren't really 3D, that's why they usually always look like sideways ladders - they can't use solid floors. They're intended mainly for single-play purposes. You can only have one level at a time. In those "holes" in the 3D bridges, there are invisible floors that raise and lower based on where you are in the map, and whether you need to go under or over the bridge.

Lazer said:

the engine got a pretty big overhaul in DOOM64.

I remember the level you're talking about, and yes, there are several examples of that in the game. The other improvements include fog support, some swirly sky effects, better lighting(I swear there are places where the bottom of the room is darker/lighter than the top),colored lighting, and some cool moving sector tricks I've never seen in regular DOOM.