Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gatewatcher

New Screens

what do you guys think of the new screens that Ling put up?

one more thing, is that a mac poster in the background of the first picture?

lacking of soft shadow, models are too edgy, but i like the first screenie with a scientist and the marines in it, cool reflections

I've often wondered why the shadows can't have a soft edge. Wouldn't it be possible to just run the shadow map through a quick blurring algorithm to get rid of the hard edges? Considering I don't know what I'm talking about, probably not.

I also wonder if there will be any sort of cvar for how dark the shadows are rendered. I understand that having pitch-black shadows means you don't have to bother with rendering anything there, but I wonder how it would look if shadows reduced the light level of a light source by, say, 90% instead of 100%. It would leave a little bit of "ambient light" in the shadow and might not look as harsh.

No Ofense ,but i think the Doom3 shadows suck! (first screeshot) big time.. what a waste of time building so complex models to get
that painted shadows in the wall..

but at least characters look good in the first screenshot.
Levels are a little washed out his colors textures (maybe is the screenshot) .also its looks very unrealistic the Painted controls
in the wall .. i have seen more detail in custom QUake3 maps..

yeah the zombie? in the second picture looks that his head is glued to the body ,bump maps also needs more work.. ,a little more
Polys to the zombies can Help.. Try 10K :)

The Marine and scientist looks Nice! finally .. lol
specially the marine.. his head is VERY detailed.. love the transparent Glass.

just hope that id hear the feedback of gamers before they release
the Game ;i come from another forum and many there noticed my observations too.

artisan7 said:

No Ofense ,but i think the Doom3 shadows suck! (first screeshot) big time.. what a waste of time building so complex models to get
that painted shadows in the wall..

but at least characters look good in the first screenshot.
Levels are a little washed out his colors textures (maybe is the screenshot) .also its looks very unrealistic the Painted controls
in the wall .. i have seen more detail in custom QUake3 maps..

yeah the zombie? in the second picture looks that his head is glued to the body ,bump maps also needs more work.. ,a little more
Polys to the zombies can Help.. Try 10K :)

The Marine and scientist looks Nice! finally .. lol
specially the marine.. his head is VERY detailed.. love the transparent Glass.

just hope that id hear the feedback of gamers before they release
the Game ;i come from another forum and many there noticed my observations too.

umm, quake3world's forum? Yeah, so have I heard, the shadow of marine that is reflecting on the wall is way too solid and harsh.

I really don't like the outside for some reason, seems fake, and ugly. The mountains seem too edgy, and their over all detail falls tremendously short of the inside of the buildind. Things that would improve this would be anti alising and softshadows. Softshadows would improve the quality tremendously and I really hope Carmack puts them in, but it probably won't happen, so meh.

orion said:

really hope Carmack puts them in, but it probably won't happen, so meh.

why not? they have plenty of time, money, and people to produce an awesome product.

Linguica said:

I've often wondered why the shadows can't have a soft edge. Wouldn't it be possible to just run the shadow map through a quick blurring algorithm to get rid of the hard edges? Considering I don't know what I'm talking about, probably not.

I also wonder if there will be any sort of cvar for how dark the shadows are rendered. I understand that having pitch-black shadows means you don't have to bother with rendering anything there, but I wonder how it would look if shadows reduced the light level of a light source by, say, 90% instead of 100%. It would leave a little bit of "ambient light" in the shadow and might not look as harsh.

LOL
If you try to render it with a blurfilter it takes minutes to complete.
And the shadow is no shadowmap.

Take a look at this url (its written in german)
http://www.3dchip.de/Technologie/Stencil%20Buffer-1.htm

Or just try to understand how to create softshadows by this diagram
http://www.3dchip.de/Technologie/3dbilder/softstencil.gif

And if you look at the marine in the backround - he have a softshadow, dont know why the scientist got this ugly shadow :(
Maybe a bug or lesser detail settings.

Some jagged and fuzzy edges on the models and shadows could have been cleared up. Some of the texture work e.g on the Marine's helmet looks pretty bad close up as well. Hopefully iD will fix that up.

It's interesting to point out the few changes from the leaked video...although some of those could be just from the lighting, as it's different from the video.

* The brown clothes wearing zombie's eyes clearly glow yellow. This has been seen sort of in the official screenshots, didn't really see that much of a glow thoughin the illegal gameplay video or official screenshots, even when those zombies were in the shadows. Maybe the eyes make it more clear that they have been possessed? (anyone with more than one brain cell could tell that though)

* The Marine's uniform seems to be a darker grey than it was before, though it could be the lighting. Ditto for the scientists uniform. The Marine's face seems more detailed, but then again, it IS a closeup. Either that or ID decided to make some model changes.

* The scientist looks more irritated than nervous like he was in the video. Maybe he's supposed to be one of those science type people who dislikes all non science guys, if so, it's a pretty good cover for what he's going to do, rather than looking scared and nervous.

* The diagrams/schematics on his clipboard we haven't seen until now- they appear to be of some kind of weapon/probe. Again, probably to conceal his intentions with the gateway.

* The second screenshot appears to be in a cavern or excavation of some kind. I wonder what else UAC was up to?

gatewatcher said:

why not? they have plenty of time, money, and people to produce an awesome product.

well, it's not that carmack couldn't do it, it's just that you'd really need a very high end pc to play the game even when it's released. And he already made promises a geforce 3 would run it at 30fps with all features on.

Whoah. Didn't expect this.

Great detail in the first shot. Reflective glass is always a plus, and both the character & environment polycounts are very high indeed. Yes, the side of the marine's helmet looks ass from this close up - but hey, when in gameplay will you ever get THIS close to a character ? And bear in mind you're still just looking at a game here; go take extreme close-ups in other FPS games and see if they look any better.

Love the scientist. He's got this freaky bionic arm (or maybe it's just part of the outfit) and looks suspiciously like John Carmack. Though I think he'd look cooler with some sort of electronic notepad in hands.

The outside looks pretty neat IMO. At least it's confirmation the Mars landscape from the leaked vid isn't just a skybox. The part of the rock wall we're seeing isn't particularly detailed, though together with the orange clouds it does convey the 'on Mars' atmosphere.

The coolest thing from the first shot is the little structure at the far end of the room, and the guard's shadow on the reflective metal surface. The monitor with Mars on it is pretty cool as well. All in all, it's much more colorful and lively than the ShakyCam video. Which is good.

The second screenshot isn't quite as impressive. Zombieguy and Space Janitor are back, wandering some kind of mine apparently. The shadow on the rightmost wall does sort of look ass, I agree. But I'm sure it'll all be much more convincing when you're actually playing the game, at 30fps, pumping shotgun rounds into fatty's big bloated face.

I'm not that impressed with these screenshots.
Sure, the reflections and shadows are cool, but the polygoncount reminds me a little of Aliens versus Predator 2 (ok, that's a little exaggerated, /me hides anyway).
It's not that detailed as I hoped it would be.
Just look at the Mars landscape, it doesn't look curvy at all. I hope they'll work that out soon.. My expectations became a lot higher since I saw the leaked video, but that's probably because it was all blurry, so it seemd like you were watching tv, and that made it realistic. But, of course, the disappointing amount of detail (/me hides again) does look a lot cooler in motion..

< EDIT > After seeing the video from this thread I'm convinced that, seeing the new released screenshots in motion will be übercool. The screenshots just look a little corny in my opinion, but when it all moves, everything looks so goddamn real, it's just sweet..

This illustrates the fact that once something gets close to perfection, all that stands out is the flaws. I mean, when you're watching Antz or Shrek it's totally believable because the graphics aren't supposed to be a 100% true simulation of real life. But once you do try to get really close to reality (Final Fantasy for example), you're not thinking "wow, this is a great CG film", but "hm, this is a real movie with some flaws in it".

Well anyway, once you see it all animating on your monitor at >30fps it'll look really convincing, particularly at lower resolutions (800x600 or something).

Don't forget that, while there are tons and tons of places where you could use a bit more detail, that's as far as it goes for a GF3, the intended target vid card. Soft shadows, veridic high polycounts...that's stuff we won't see yet. You guys are thinking way ahead of the current tech.

There are too many sharp edges - on the characters, the 'curved' walls and the mountains, which is disappointing. Curves in general aren't very curved across both shots.

Polycounts are too low in the mine screenshot.

The absence of soft shadows is irritating given the system it's aimed at also.

GS-1719 said:

There are too many sharp edges - on the characters, the 'curved' walls and the mountains, which is disappointing. Curves in general aren't very curved across both shots.

Polycounts are too low in the mine screenshot.

The absence of soft shadows is irritating given the system it's aimed at also.

hmm. Keep in mind that the first screenshot is from the intro and you only get to see the mars mountain for ½ a second.

Let's hope the scientists in Doom III are just as ill-fated as their Half-Life collegues. Blown up, burnt, eaten by something with huge spiky teeth, or just shot by a bored player... In games, the most dangerous profession is science.

If the shadows are lightmaps why cant they be bilinear filtered just like everything else?

Way too jagged and ugly, hopefully this is the lower detail level

technology forum, DEFINITLEY

WHY THE FUCK IS CARMACK DESGINING FOR GEFORCE 3 LEVEL?!?!!?!? IN SIX MONTHS EVEN THAT WILL HAVE BEEN EXTREMELEY OLD AND THE TECH WILL BE SURPASSED IMMEDIATELEY!

on the upside, any system you buy at the time doom 3 comes out (and probably the last 6 months) will run the game PERFECTLY.

oh well

Those screens, Now that is one "GRAPHICALLY INTENSIVE" looking game! To see stills is one thing, But to watch it in "MOTION" is sometning else. That fuckin' game is gonna be "MURDER" to run in it's full glory, even on the high-end PC's.

Xian said:
If the shadows are lightmaps why cant they be bilinear filtered just like everything else?

...except they're NOT lightmaps.

WHY THE FUCK IS CARMACK DESGINING FOR GEFORCE 3 LEVEL?!?!!?!? IN SIX MONTHS EVEN THAT WILL HAVE BEEN EXTREMELEY OLD AND THE TECH WILL BE SURPASSED IMMEDIATELEY!

The last thing you need when developing a FPS is a game that runs like shit in the latest hardware, specially a game like Doom III, while slower paced than the original games, relies in perceptual motion (what helps us perceive deformations in body/shape/lights as some type of motion) to showcase its crucial feature : the lighting.

What good does a ton of rotating, moody lights and pipes and tech and shit if it runs at 5 fps? It becomes incredibly annoying and totally uninmersive. To asume everyone will have a -GF4- in 6 to 12 months is like assuming everyone had a VooDoo back in the Quake2 days.

umm, the geforce was out 6 months ago. doom 3 almost definitley wont be released until next summer, the way you speak makes it sound like the game is coming out tommorow.

these sceens look WORSE than many quake 3 levels, and the models not that much better. the lighting is good- but the total blackout effect looks just as bad as i predicted and even worse, its SLOPPY. the computer panel ISNT SHADOWED AT ALL (probably because its interactive!).

and i thought the shadows were dynamically rendered lightmaps?

Xian said:

umm, the geforce was out 6 months ago. doom 3 almost definitley wont be released until next summer, the way you speak makes it sound like the game is coming out tommorow.

I said "6 to 12 months". You might be one of those guys who upgrade their vid card every 3 months, but pretty much 85% of the population does not do that.

the lighting is good- but the total blackout effect looks just as bad as i predicted and even worse, its SLOPPY.

That's because that particular set of polygons is only influenced by one light. Since there is no radiosity, there's either light or occlussion. They could surely add a couple of shadow-less lights to fake radiosity, but the GF3 is already in pain to render that, and it's primarily bound to the amount of lights in the scene.

the computer panel ISNT SHADOWED AT ALL (probably because its interactive!).

It's a monitor. Monitors cast light. I don't see my shadow in mine right now.

Fucking server meltdown cropped my msg.

Xian said:
and i thought the shadows were dynamically rendered lightmaps?

That's an impossible. Quake engined games take 10 hours to process a static instance of the lighting state, and that's taking in mind it uses fixed light volumes units that range from 8 up to 16 pixels. Even with the blurring, it's fucking obvious, specially in large shadows, defined shadwows. We're talking about a game that needs 30 instances of what the light's doing PER SECOND to portray dynamism. And in Doom's case, the lighting unit is always 1 pixel big. A shadow map would eat literally gigs of RAM and it would take days for each frame.

Exactly. Whoever took the second screenshot isn't very good at it (boring hallway, no antialiasing, weird res of 1280x1024), but that's no reason to start asking the impossible from Carmack & Co. Take a look at any of the videos (especially the one from the ATI9700 presentation) and try telling me the lighting doesn't look spectacular.

these sceens look WORSE than many quake 3 levels, and the models not that much better

Well maybe you shouldn't just judge a game by it's "sceens" then. And yes, in screenshots it's kind of odd how there's so much detail in the character's skins and bumpmaps, the lack in polygonal detail begins to stand out. But, again, in motion this all looks tons better. The animations are fluid, the movements believable, and the dynamic shadows add to the scene, not detract from it.