Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zeratul 982

Suggestions for Map17

I had a heck of a time trying to finish map16, so I may need a couple of ideas for my 17th map. I'm running out of ideas and I would appreciate some ideas / suggestions.

Which doesn't help is that I can't edit with zdoom because I don't know the first thing about ACS scripting, I seem to be missing the "zdoomdos" program or something like that, and I don't have an editor for zdoom such as dme or WadAuthor. I used to have dme, but I deleted it because I couldn't edit maps using zdoom features. Besides, I'm used to editing with DCK 3.62.

Guest Point

I would like to see a map with large expanses that are void of enemies. Toward the end or at some key point, throw in a couple in a tough situation. Maybe a map without enemies, and secret areas to find weapons that may have not been attained at that point in time through the levels.

I think the level should be as high paced, if not more, than the earlier levels. In other words, don't change a thing. Some of your levels are the best I've played, and with the wad being only half done, it's one of my faves already, right next to asdoom and the 10 sectors wad. And to think you never used any advanced features and you're still using DCK. Awesome frikken work! You are a GOD. As long as the frantic pace of the levels keep up, this could be one of the best wads ever.

Ideas? A level with lots of traps, as well as lots of powerful enemies. Kinda like Map20: Gotcha! Also, a haunted house theme. Kinda like the Blood level "The Overlooked Hotel". And since you brought in some Doom 64 ideas, the PSX Doom levels are some of my faves as well. Try something like the Marshes, and the Mansion. As for the second secret level, I advise the PSX level Twilight Descends. I know I'm obsessed with that level, but it's one of THE BEST levels I've played, and it would make your wad one of the best ever.

Those are my ideas. And since I can't make levels worth shit, you're my last hope. Keep the great work, dude!

Point said:

I would like to see a map with large expanses that are void of enemies. Toward the end or at some key point, throw in a couple in a tough situation. Maybe a map without enemies, and secret areas to find weapons that may have not been attained at that point in time through the levels.

Maybe a level using technical tricks. That always makes things interesting. Or you could try new graphics for things like portals.

A 3d bridge, a see-through door, 3d effects, etc... The tutorials section has many listed. When my 3rd beta comes out level nine will have almost all of them in there including one not listed, a four way bridge!

I actually tried to make a see-through door on "Marble Fortress" but I only got part of it to work. The ceiling flat "flooded" into the sector and I couldn't correct it, even though I had the required sector have a tag of 900 or higher.
Stupid ZenNode...

If you want me to look at it I could build it for you within a few minutes. It is best to make your own door texture as well. Also, 900 or higher? It is simpler than it seems. The door will look like this:
___
|_|<normal sector (1) whatever/whatever
|_|<the sector right next to the door (2) 128/0
|_|<the door sector (3) 1/1
|_|<the sector right next to the door. (2) 128/0
|_|<normal sector (1) whatever/whatever

The doortack is "referenced" to sector 2. The part of the door you would activated has its texture on the middle line with a Y offset of 128. There is no upper or lower textures on it either. You also might want to make it a fast door.

After playing through it I say you could have a little less texture changes per level, and use textures like support2 and support3 in the border of two different textures. And the doortrack texture doesn't fit in with medieval doors well, you could use metal or support3 instead. It was a bit easy though, there could've been less big healths and little more medikits, and less ammo. That's all I can think of now.