Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

ATI video with Doom III footage

Thanks to Adam Hegyi for mentioning this in the news comments on Doomworld's front page. I felt it was worth to repost here.

http://mirror2.ati.com/multimedia/r9700/testimonials/testimonials640x480.mpg (77MB)

This is a two and a half minute video of a few developers talking about how great the new ATI card is. One of them is John Carmack, and while he's talking we see a few familiar scenes from Doom III. It's basically the same stuff from the "Legacy" video (Bathroom scene, breathing marine, fire scene), but some of it from a slightly different angle etc. I do recommend people with broadband to download it, because it's EXTREMELY good quality (no visible video artifacts at all, good framerate).

Although the quality is extremely good (and it should be... 77 mb for a video that's not even 3 minutes long) all the video footage can be found in the legacy video. The quality difference isn't worth a 5 hour download (assuming you are on a 56k) IMHO. I still downloaded it however, maybe I was expecting an intresting carmack interview, but no didn't get that either. But if you're on DSL or cable, it's probably a nice little thing to put in your doom3 collection.

Nice video, way more detail..
I found something interesting though, which I'm not sure about if anyone saw this before..

2:17 - At first sight I thought this scene took place on the inside of a base on Mars. Now if you look at the top of your screen you can see a radar spinning around, and at the topleft of your screen you caan see a small piece of Martian rock. Looks pretty good :)

Did anyone see this before?

I already DLed it. I liked it. I should capture some screenies for no reason.

EDIT : Captured, I got the perfect pic of Carmack! It was when his name was on-screen and like right as he is pausing to start a new sentance and his mouth is closed. Woohoo!

Well Carmack doesn't really say anything new, so I don't think it's worth ripping the audio or anything. He doesn't sound too spectacular either; maybe he's got a cold, or he's been working 48 hour days again.

The scene with the marine breathing was in Legacy as well, and yes I've noticed the spinning radar thing before. This version is a lot longer than the Legacy one though, and IMO the posessed marine guy looks ultra-cool in this shot. There's also a nice panning shot trough the Bathroom scene that wasn't in the Legacy vid.

I didn't even know the video was THAT big. Sorry to the 56K people :) Should've mentioned the 320x240 version too.

Just found something interesting in the little bathroom scene. It's hard to see, but on the wall at the right is a poster.

It apparently reads:

MARS DELTA LABS
LEADING THE WAY

UAC
UNION AEROSPACE

Nice to see id injecting some character into the environment like this. Strange to see a picture of Earth on a poster that reads "Mars Delta Labs", though.

Lord FlatHead said:

Strange to see a picture of Earth on a poster that reads "Mars Delta Labs", though.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Great poster, though :)

ok, I've noticed a difference between the bathroom in this video and the one in the shacky cam vid. 06:31 in the schacky cam vid you see the marine taking a step back to hide from the demon and you notice that the wall is really techie. In the ATI video that same wall is made of a different texture, the bathroom tiles.

As for the little spinning radar, I've noticed that when the legacy movie was first released, it kinda caught my attention, didn't know what it was at first.

EDIT: eh, the same can be said for the rest of the walls, this probably has been mentioned already because I think it was like this in the legacy video as well.

Lord FlatHead said:

MARS DELTA LABS
LEADING THE WAY

UAC
UNION AEROSPACE

Nice to see id injecting some character into the environment like this. Strange to see a picture of Earth on a poster that reads "Mars Delta Labs", though.

Maybe the UAC is involved into a terraforming project, the pic probably suggests Mars will become a second Earth, so the Delta Labs are leading the way to that bright future.

Tetzlaff said:

Maybe the UAC is involved into a terraforming project, the pic probably suggests Mars will become a second Earth, so the Delta Labs are leading the way to that bright future.

Maybe. They're still a ways off, considering how orange the sky looks in the new screenshots.

orion said:

ok, I've noticed a difference between the bathroom in this video and the one in the shacky cam vid.

There's several differences. Both the Legacy vid and the footage from this video was made some time before E3, while the leaked video presentation was continously being worked on and improved up until the morning before E3. The urinals are different, the blood looks different, the crease in the middle of Pinky's neck is gone (some problem with the skin mapping they had), etc.

I'd be d/ling the 77 meg video but at about 6kb/s from the ATI site, it's not going to happen unless the speed picks up. Normally I get much faster d/l speeds from overseas servers, ATI's server must be really struggling for bandwidth I guess.

Call me stupid, but on the other page linked in this thread earlier, where exactly is the lower resolution video? I can't find any d/l links at all on that page or others.

http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700/testimonials.html

Livo said:

Call me stupid, but on the other page linked in this thread earlier, where exactly is the lower resolution video? I can't find any d/l links at all on that page or others.

There's no point in dl'ing the low res version as we have already seen this footage in low res. DL it for the high res! It looks great.