Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cacodemon Leade

I've got a new computer!

Guest Cacodemon Leade

Yes, you heard me! No more hassle on a 2.1 Gig Harddrive or slowdowns on Serious Sam! Now I can have more DOOM Related Stuff! I have archived my DOOM MOD Work, both Bad Toys 2 and Cacodemon Squad.

Sounds nice, what're the specs?

My computer is also pretty good at the moment:

- Celeron 700 (will probably be upgraded at the end of the year, or sooner if I actually find a decent summer job)

- 384 megs RAM (the first 128 of which cost considerably more than the other 256 - the joys of secondhand hardware ;) )

- 57 gigs HD space (three drives - eight gigs, nine gigs and 40 gigs - only about 20 gigs is actually used on all three combined :) )

- SB Live! Value (could be better I know, but it's fine for my purposes)

- Voodoo 3 2000 (which will be upgraded once the GeForce 3 reaches a reasonable price)

- Ancient, crappy, screwed up 17" monitor (which I can't afford to get replaced, but it works in 1024x768, so that's one thing)

NiGHTMARE said:

- Celeron 700 (will probably be upgraded at the end of the year, or sooner if I actually find a decent summer job)

- 384 megs RAM (the first 128 of which cost considerably more than the other 256 - the joys of secondhand hardware ;) )

- 57 gigs HD space (three drives - eight gigs, nine gigs and 40 gigs - only about 20 gigs is actually used on all three combined :) )

- Voodoo 3 2000 (which will be upgraded once the GeForce 3 reaches a reasonable price)

- Ancient, crappy, screwed up 17" monitor (which I can't afford to get replaced, but it works in 1024x768, so that's one thing)

My computer:

Celeron A 300
192 megs of ram
53 gigs HD space. One eight, one 45.
Terractec Base 1 soundcard.
Riva TNT2
17" Sony Multiscan 200ES

My dads computer:

1.6 gzh (dual 800's)
256 megs of ram
145 gigs HD space (YIKES)
Live
Radeon
19" Monitor

I wish i had his comp :|

NiGHTMARE said:

I'm doing the exact same thing, that is I have a voodoo 3 3000 and next upgrade will be a Geforce3.

Your ancient, crappy, screwed up 17" monitor isn't really that bad, I still have a 15" from my first PC from early '96. It can do 1024x768 @ 75Hz though.

Heh, this monitor must be one of the first monitors ever to support 1024x768, it's that old :)

Shaviro said:

My computer:

Celeron A 300
192 megs of ram
Riva TNT2
17" Sony Multiscan 200ES

My dads computer:

1.6 gzh (dual 800's)
256 megs of ram
Live
Radeon
19" Monitor

Whoh. No wonder I'm having problems over here. You have 6 times more ram and almost 9 times more disk space than this one has.
I feel so...inferior. :)

Guest fraggle`
NiGHTMARE said:

Heh, this monitor must be one of the first monitors ever to support 1024x768, it's that old :)

My old monitor couldnt even manage 1024x768, fortunately the cleaning ladies at my uni managed to blow it up and my parents bought me a new one.

I have
-Pentium III-800/133 FC-PGA
-320 megs of SDRAM
-20 giga HD (Maxtor)(Don't buy it!! It's noisy, I think I'll change it soon)
-Sound Blaster Live! Player (Creative)
-3D Blaster GeForce 2 GTS (Creative)
-19'' monitor (Viewpoint) (It's got some yellowish blots on the sides tho, gotta phone the online service, so they'll come to de-magnetize my screen)

I think I'll be able to run Doom III, not at a descent framerate maybe, but I hope my comp will run it quite good.

Doesn't the degauss option on your monitor work? It should clear out the magnetic blotches unless you've had it next to some sort of power generator.

Also, you ought to run Windows95 and then you wouldn't have to waste so much on high-speed processors and all that RAM.

Shaviro said:

My computer:

Celeron A 300
192 megs of ram
Riva TNT2
17" Sony Multiscan 200ES

My dads computer:

1.6 gzh (dual 800's)
256 megs of ram
Live
Radeon
19" Monitor

:eek::

NiGHTMARE said:

my uncle go tmy pc, its pretty crappy, but i can get it upgraded.

-celeron 466
thats doing pretty good for now. i shouldnt have ot upgrade that for a while

-160 megs of sdram- thats doing great

-literally an ancient 15 ince monitor. form like 1991. it only goes up to 800 x 600. but it runs fast after i ran this software called hztool. i set the frame rate to like 200 hz on the moniter and video card. now it runs fast as hell. my old monitor mysteriously blew up some how...i jsut turned it on and pffft.

- incredibly crappy intergrated sound card- godddamn this thing sux dick. it doesnt have good midi so doom music sounds like shit unless im using vavoom. this is the first thing ill upgrade. it works good for newer games, jsut no 3d.

-also crappy integrated ati rage pro,- this actually works pretty good, as i said i ran that hztool progrtam and sped it up, and i updated the drivers. it only has 4 megs of ram but with 160 system ram it works great, because it takes ram from the system cause its integrated.

-40x cdrom- this works good,

-i think thats about it. anyone know how much a new celeron would cost? i should really jsut get a new motherboard. i can get a new soundcard, and put it on there. but it only has 2 unused pci slots, adn the graphics are built in agp so theres no slot.

Lüt said:

Doesn't the degauss option on your monitor work? It should clear out the magnetic blotches unless you've had it next to some sort of power generator.

Also, you ought to run Windows95 and then you wouldn't have to waste so much on high-speed processors and all that RAM.

I've degaussed my monitor about 50 times and more, still nothin. Next to my monitor stands a TV, but it's always off when my monitor's on. And my RAM, althou I'm on Win98 works quite well, you can see the changes. But I'll contact my monitor's manufacturer soon.

Guest deathwarrior

bloody hell, i never thought THAT many people had good comps. I thought they'd have shit ones (like Dest-01, who has a 100mhz Pentium with 16mb ram). Oh well. ;)

My specs...

- 450mhz AMD K6
- 64mb RAM (it's all i need... for now)
- 20gb HD (sometimes 40)
- 16mb TNT
- 8x Burner (non-rewritable)
- 48x CD-ROM
- A rather crap Vibra sound card (PUKE)
- 15" Dell Flatscreen (ooh yeah)
- Cable modem (via my dad's comp)
- Network card of some sort
- WinME and Linux (slackware I think)

My dad's specs...

- 550mhz AMD K6
- 128mb RAM
- 20gb HD (sometimes 40)
- 32mb TNT2
- 48x CD-ROM
- A sound card better than the Vibra
- 15" Moniter non-flatscreen
- Cable modem (capped unfortunately)
- Network card of some sort
- WinME

The "3rd Comp" specs (my brother uses it)...

- 486 ???mhz
- 16mb RAM (or 32)
- ??gb HD
- Video Card
- 8x CD-ROM
- Sound Card
- 15" moniter
- Linux

There's also the Amiga 500, with a joystick, mouse, moniter, 2 floppy drives, and a LOT of disks (at least 200)

That's about it...

Guest Rob C

Well, if everyone else is listing theirs...

Pentium 2 333 (being upgraded to Athlon 1.4 when I have the money)
160Mb RAM - OK for a while.
30Gb disc - loadsa Doom goodies!
Voodoo 3 2000 (slightly broken) - a GeForce 2 GTS is in the post!
19" monitor - drool! Excellent monitor, but cost £400... ZDoom looks great! :)
Soundblaster live 1024 - cheap and good - buy this if you want a new sound card.

It's nice to see a list of specs. that people haven't obivously lied about to make them look "cool". :) It's the first list I've seen where my comp. looks OK!

Well, whoopty-friggin'-doo!!
Uh, now why should I care?
My computer's got upwards of 12 gigs.

Congratulations to ya, cacoboss! Now you playin' wit power!
:P

Shaviro said:

My computer:

Celeron A 300
192 megs of ram
Riva TNT2
17" Sony Multiscan 200ES

My dads computer:

1.6 gzh (dual 800's)
256 megs of ram
Live
Radeon
19" Monitor

overclock the 300A to 450Mhz (set the bus to 100Mhz), mucho speed boost and ultra simple. Worked for me until i got a 900Mhz athlon beast

Rob C said:

19" monitor - drool! Excellent monitor, but cost £400... ZDoom looks great! :)

Lucky. I've been through 5 19" monitors in the last year, they're all shit. I wish they'd make 19's and 21's with the same quality as the over-abundant 17's. What's your brand and model?

Feronth said:

I've degaussed my monitor about 50 times and more, still nothin. Next to my monitor stands a TV, but it's always off when my monitor's on. And my RAM, althou I'm on Win98 works quite well, you can see the changes. But I'll contact my monitor's manufacturer soon.

Heh, I had the same problem when I set these hard disk magnets too close to mine. They were magnets from an old 20MB drive that was about the size of a small laptop, so they were powerful as hell. In fact, I had passed them around to other people and had to get rid or them when they had finally cost like $3,000 in damage to televisions and computer monitors :)

Guest Cacodemon Leade
esco said:

Congratulations to ya, cacoboss! Now you playin' wit power!:P

Thank you Esco. The problem is that my operating system conflicts with my internet connection, so I cannot get on. However, Serious Sam runs very fast, and DOOM at the highest resolution that my monitor can play like it was 320X200, only the resolution is better. Well, I'll see yous after my internet access gets upgraded. Oh, that Windows Millenium Edition!!!

Cool. So, tell us about the comp.

How much memory?

Processor speed?

How much ram?

3D card or no?

ECT.

Anyway, about my new laptop

Pentium 3, 700 MGH

15 Gig hardrive

3D card of some sort (Not sure which!)

128 megs of RAM

I can't remember the rest (It's good; I don't know too much about all that technical shit)

Guest Cacodemon Leade

Memory: 128 megs of RAM

Harddrive Space: Over 30 gigabytes.

Processor Speed: 1.2 Gigabyte speed on a Pentium 4.

3D Accel. Card with 32 megs RAM.

Windows ME (Still conflicts with my Internet Provider Software)