Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TR@C3R

How to make *.wad files open with doom?

Guest TR@C3R

That's the question. How can I associate wad files with the doom executable? Or: What is the command for opening an external wad file when being in the game? I tried changemap, idclev and map, but the console only returned 'no XXX map'. I have about 1000 wads. Modifying a batch file each time really hurts...

Guest deathwarrior

sigh.

Guest TR@C3R

? Should that be insult? The idea of forums like this is helping people and starting discussions, isn't it? So, if you know a solution for my problem, why don't you just tell it to me instead of showing me how damn stupid I am? We all were lamers once..

...for those who have 1000+ WAD's I coded a solution:

The PrBoom Frontend at http://kickme.to/theking

So please make use of it.

try not to be discouraged about some of the jerks around here. there are friends willing to help here too.

here's the parameters:

doom -file file1.wad file2.wad file3.wad.....

or you can use a frontend, like the one for zdoom or king elvis's frontend for prboom.

If you have Doom 95, put your wads in the same folder than Doom 95. With the D95 launcher, you should be able to select the wads you wanna play. Otherwise, with ZDoom, first launch the ZDoom.exe, then quit and go to the MS-Dos prompt. There, type the letter of the drive where ZDoom is located and type enter. A path should automatically appear (for example : D:\Games\Doom>)
then type "ZDoom" (without the quotes) and "-file hr2" then type enter, and there you go.

Example : D:\Games\Doom>zdoom -file hr2

By default, ZDoom launches Doom 2. But if the wad you wanna play requires Ultimate Doom, you'll have to type this

D:\Games\Doom>zdoom -iwad doom -file hr2

Guest TR@C3R

Gosh, that was some good help! Thanks all! I almost lost my faith ;) Thanks a lot.
King Elvis, your frontend is way cool! And elbryan42: nice signature!

OK, I had the whole damn thing typed out but Explorer decided to refresh and delete it so FUCK IT.

For the original Doom2 game, enter the command "doom2 -file name.wad", replacing 'name.wad' with the name of the actual level you want to play. That is assuming you have placed this level in your main doom2 directory. If you haven't (say, you placed the level in the subfolder 'levels') you provide the path as well (eg. "doom2 -file levels/name.wad".

You mentioned a 'console', so I'm assuming you are playing with a source port rather than the original Doom2.exe file. For in-game loading of levels you probably need to configure some stuff... check the readme of the source port you are playing with to find out more.

Hope this helps,

TR@C3R said:

? Should that be insult? The idea of forums like this is helping people and starting discussions, isn't it? So, if you know a solution for my problem, why don't you just tell it to me instead of showing me how damn stupid I am? We all were lamers once..

Exactly! Very well put! I couldn't of said that better :)

/me tips my hat to you, TR@C3R

TR@C3R said:

Problem Solved: Ignore them :)

Guest deathwarrior
TR@C3R said:

i just hate questions being repeated every two weeks.