Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Double click a wad and open zDoom...

Here's how I did it, just as a service to my fellow Doomers.

Create a filetype for the .wad extension:
Some editors, DeepSea especially, tend to link themselves to wads. If a program has already claimed this extension you can only modify it, but I'll go on the assumption that when you double click a wad an 'Open with...' box pops up.

Go into your Explorer. Click View, then Folder Options. Change to the third tab, 'File Types'. Click 'New Type'.
- Description of type: Doom pWad
- Associated extension: .wad
- Content type: Doesn't really matter (application/doom-pwad)
- Actions:
    A) Click 'New'
    B) Action: Run with zDoom
    C) Application used to perform action:

!This is the most important part of it all. Put this in (obviously you should change this to reflect your zDoom path, or any other executable you prefer):

C:\Games\Doom\zDoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file "%1"

Copy and paste that right in there if you wish! Remember... it has to be QUOTEPERCENTONEQUOTE just like that (for long file names). Hit okay and you have your first action in place.

Now... add another action. Name this one: Run with zDoom as Doom 1 (you could also use 'Ultimate Doom' instead although that's a bit long).

Here's the application used to perform action:

C:\Games\Doom\zDoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file "%1"

Hit okay and now you have two actions in the action box. Highlight the Run with zDoom (not Doom 1) one and click the 'Set Default' button.

You're done... you can double click any wad and it will load it into zDoom as a Doom 2 wad. Also, you can right-click any wad and choose to load it as Doom 1 instead! =)

You can do the same thing but use the zDaemon executable instead... so you can right click a deathmatch wad, load it into zDaemon, and type in connect XXX.XX.XX.XXX yourself when the launcher gets crashy (you can find the IP address under detailed server information [yes, I've done this myself and it works fine]).

(These are the three I have: Run with zDoom, Run with zDoom as Doom 1, Run with zDaemon)

You can also add in 'Run with Edge' if you have that port too... there's *NO* limit as to how many actions you want to impose... but I recommend keeping the straight zDoom2 as the default since that's what most wads are.

Whenever zDoom finishes Heretic & Hexen support (Dear God I hope soon!!! ;) you can add support for that too just by making a new action with an appropriate name and changing the -iwad command.

Feel free to try this with vanilla Doom2.exe as well, although I suggest leaving out the -iwad command altogether. =P

***Bonus: You can also change the icon for wad files now (wait until you've done all your actions, though). None of the icons in Windows seem to really fit the nature of a wad file better than C:\windows\packager.exe -- a box with audio and video coming out of it; a file loaded with all kinds of information possible. It's the icon I use for my wads. =)

***Known issues: This really only works best when you load in a single wad at a time. When it comes to themed wads with the levels, music and sounds all separated you're best bet is still a batch file... unless you want to set up DDE Drag & Drop so you can just highlight a bunch of wads and drag them right onto zDoom.exe and have it load them all in sequentially... but that's a pain in the ass and batch files work fine. =)

Of course... if you want to...

new type: Doom Demo
extension: .lmp
mime: application/doom-demo
action: Run demo with Doom2.exe
C:\games\doom2.exe -playdemo "%1"
action: Run demo with Doom.exe
C:\games\doom.exe -playdemo "%1"

...you'll have a lot easier time raiding Compet-n! =)

I hope this helps some of you. I mean, damn, it's 2001 -- we should be beyond the command line by now! =)

I WROTE ALL THAT BEFORE YOU!

But hey guess what? You wanna change some file type properties? Go ahead. And then click "Close" and watch your browser refresh and wipe the pages of info you just typed.

Guest deathwarrior

this should be in the FAQ.

Lüt said:

I WROTE ALL THAT BEFORE YOU!

But hey guess what? You wanna change some file type properties? Go ahead. And then click "Close" and watch your browser refresh and wipe the pages of info you just typed.

Upgrade to a newer version of Windoze, I didn't have that problem. Even if you have refresh issues you should've already known about them and used Notepad instead.

Also... did you include instructions for the right click additional actions?
...suggested icon?
...doom2.exe demo runner?

=)

Believe it or not, WadAuthor, run from it's original Setup.exe (not the vanilla zip file) did the registry associations incorrectly in 1995 and I copied them:))

The problem that happens now is not clear to me, but one can't change or add associations. Windows says that it's already in use, yet nothing is shown. Who's fault is that?

So the only way to fix this is to use RegEdit and delete the .wad association and something else I can't remember. So rather than have people use regedit, I've fixed this in the next release and it will just put the action name of "DeePsea" in there and you will then be able to add anything else as you outlined.

If something is already associated, all it will do now is just extend it. This is all assuming the standard registry keys that are supposed to be there. There are some other Windows Doom editing programs that also did it incorrectly. So much for following examples that work<g>

Sorry about the hassle, it was just a learning curve for me too. The original intent was to accommodate people who had no idea how to make these kind of associations - as this thread clearly shows. I don't have the original 95 around, but as I recall it was not so easy to do back then.

1) Yeah, I had to F3 my way through the registry killing all .wad associations too. It is weird, having the associated but not showing up in the file type menu. Half-assed job on WadAuthor's part I assume.

You can't 'change' associations you can just add, delete or edit. This is the first problem... how can you delete it if it's not there? =)

2) I'd also like to throw in the option to load the file into WinTEX for snooping/editing and stuff like that. Having a program that did all your Doom associations for you would be really swank.

3) So you're the PR guy for DeepSea, eh? Riddle me this. When I started into Doom editing a few months back I tried the latest demo of DeepSea. After about 45 seconds of fooling around the view screen becan scrolling insanely and all my Windows graphics became garbled. Your program gave my Windoze a seizure and I was able to three finger salute it and reboot. I have a P3-450, 256 Ram and a Voodoo3. It was NOT installed on the same drive as Windows but the same drive as Doom, and coincidentally enough it wasn't installed for very long either. =)

deadnail said:

Also... did you include instructions for the right click additional actions?

Man, I had it so you could do "Edit in DeeP", "Edit in WadAuthor", "Play using ZDoom (default)", "Play using Millennium", "Play using JDoom", "Play using Legacy", "Open as resource in WinTex" although I had trouble with that and never got it working.

It's Windows98SE I'm using, that's probably the problem (as always), the stupid thing refreshes only when it doesn't need to. It's the first time I've had that happen but it's also the first time I've edited file properties like that in the midst of doing 40 other things. That only happened when I changed the properties for one of the options and it went beyond the point where I could cancel it, so I just picked "close" instead and bam, Explorer was refreshed.

Sounds like TSRs are skullfucking your memory. Run msconfig and go to the startup thing. UNCHECK everything you don't need. ICQ, Real, WinAmp... there's a LOT of them and any one of them can cause Windows to refresh a lot (which is a bitch of a performance hit in gaming).

Zeratul 982 said:

If I want to open a wad with zdoom, all I do is use the "click, drag, and drop" way. I have no problem.

Well... I have 904Mb (3084 files) in my pwads subdirectory... all sorted like this:

Boom\
Doom\
Doom2\
Edge\
Legacy\
Themes\Many subdirectories here
zDoom\

Draggin' and droppin' through all of those folders would be a problem for me whereas double clicking works wonders. It's all a matter of how much you have and how much you're willing to go through to get them to work. =)

deadnail said:

Sounds like TSRs are skullfucking your memory. Run msconfig and go to the startup thing. UNCHECK everything you don't need. ICQ, Real, WinAmp... there's a LOT of them and any one of them can cause Windows to refresh a lot (which is a bitch of a performance hit in gaming).

Hah... I have ScanRegistry, SystemTray and TweakUI loading on startup. And I have Volume Control in the tray. It's Windows. It changed it's file system so it refreshed everything. Makes sense I guess.

Old news to me bud :) You should see the tangled mess of options I have set up when I right click on a file. Must be damned near 40 of 50 of the damned things :P I guess I kinda got carried away.....

deadnail said:

I can't really tell what happened since the amount of information given is not sufficient. "Fooling around" is not exactly a precise term<g>

The current version is 10.21 and the timeframe you gave is 10.20. There is a mistake in 10.21 if selecting multiple sectors and using the ++ fields. I was too far into revisions to release a fix.

The Voodoo3 drivers did have some updates, so first of all make sure you have those. What you describe sounds like a video driver gone nuts and/or a mouse driver issue (if it sends bogus information if will start scrolling).

I have a Voodoo3 for certain there's a bug when switching back and forth from a fullscreen DOS box back to the desktop. Reducing the color depth to 16bit helps some. This particular machine has 256mb too. My machine locks up. If I stay in a "windowed" DOS command line, this never happens.

DeePsea should -not- be installed in the same directory as DOOM. The drive makes no difference at all.

I've never heard of your kind of problem, but all sorts of things can happen due to interaction with the total system.

These kind of problems are not directly related to DeePsea, but instead with other programs that ran or are running. For example, ZDOOM still thrashes my machine, although not as much as it used to. Yet few people report this problem. So I make sure I reboot after I run ZDOOM:))

Some PWADs are also defective. Sound drivers are an issue, since DeePsea plays sound and midi. If someone works with me, I've always been able to resolve problems that appear right away, but it's not a simple thing to figure out. The first step is to minimize the number of task loading using MSCONFIG (98 and later).

Similarly, some people run 4 copies of IE, have Word open, run ICQ, then try to edit and test ZDOOM and think that's not an issue:))

The cursor and the rest of my programs remained fine... DeepSea was the program having a stroke. =)

It wasn't installed to the same directory as Doom.

I was looking around in the Doom2 iwad.

Usually I can have ie, icq, winamp, goldwave, wadauthor, wintex and maybe a few other things open and zDoom still runs like a dream windowed. =)

Looking around in the IWAD causes absolutely no problems. There are no -repeatable- issues that I'm aware off. Remember, DeePsea will play sounds and play mus/midi, so those other items you have running can definitely interfere.

When your system is "having a stroke", it's not productive to bitch and just try to slam (you didn't even give the version#). Most would be curious why something went astray when it runs just about everywhere?

But like I said, ZDOOM thrashes my system and you say it doesn't. Different systems behave differently - not too unusual. For certain there's something in ZDOOM that has errant behavior. Only 1.23+ is starting to run more or less acceptably, before that only 1.17<g> So that's why I always tell people to reboot and try the same thing again - preferable NOT running a bunch of other tasks. SOP for troubleshooting.

Running with Winamp/goldwave -may- be an issue. I've never tried it. You can't share mm resources - a windows thing.

Having that many things open at once is not a good idea - mainly because Windows memory protection is "not good". You need NT versions to feel 99.9% comfortable.

When it went loopy I was running around inside of map01, looking at the structure and stuff.

The only other program I had running at the time was ICQ, and both programs were rather silent.

Running with WinAmp/Goldwave is fine so long as you don't USE more than one at a time (or have one paused and try to use another).

I'm not attacking your program either, so don't get defensive. I'm simply stating that I opened up map01 and looked around, then it started scrolling around insanely and I couldn't click anything to stop it. When I ctrl-alt deleted and shut it down all of my Windows graphics were garbled, so I rebooted and uninstalled. =)

Still, I'd like a Win based editor that runs as smoothly as WadAuthor BUT DOESN'T give me bizarro errors in my levels. "Sector 47 is not closed!" Why? I changed the back lower texture on three of it's linedefs. Yeah, that makes sense. =(

Guest planet1

well done, knew about it but never thought of using it with wads
bfg for u

Hey thanks! This'll come in handy...

/me uses wall
/say "Hey Stphrz, want to see this beta of Doom 3?!"

deadnail said:

When it went loopy I was running around inside of map01, looking at the structure and stuff.

The only other program I had running at the time was ICQ, and both programs were rather silent.

Running with WinAmp/Goldwave is fine so long as you don't USE more than one at a time (or have one paused and try to use another).

I'm not attacking your program either, so don't get defensive. I'm simply stating that I opened up map01 and looked around, then it started scrolling around insanely and I couldn't click anything to stop it. When I ctrl-alt deleted and shut it down all of my Windows graphics were garbled, so I rebooted and uninstalled. =)

Still, I'd like a Win based editor that runs as smoothly as WadAuthor BUT DOESN'T give me bizarro errors in my levels. "Sector 47 is not closed!" Why? I changed the back lower texture on three of it's linedefs. Yeah, that makes sense. =(

Windows sends "messages" telling a pgm the status of mouse/keyboard user input. So if a program starts doing stuff by itself, you can bet that windows is usually telling it to do so<g>.

Here's what is going on. Your mouse driver got "stuck" (either mechanical or via the driver). DeePsea can scroll using the edges by just left clicking (no awkward side scrolls). You can also -option- it to scroll just by "touching" the screen edges.

IF the logical status of the mouse gets stuck, then moving the mouse will scroll. Not a DeePsea problem, but your mouse driver. It has to get a Windows message that the state has changed. Similarly if BOTH buttons get stuck, it will scroll as you move the mouse. A keyboard sticking key can also cause problems. Programs that don't check the status (as done in DeePsea) would never show the problem!

As with most beginners, "sector not closed" is confusing you. Changing a texture has nothing to do with it and will never fix it<g>.

Not knowing what something is and then stating "bizarro" errors is a reflection on your skill level, not the editor. I suppose it's ok for me to call you "bizarro" using your criteria? (clearly that's not a good term to use).

The help has a clear explanation of what "sector not closed". It's a common beginner's issue. Yes, the original DOOM levels have many of these kind of errors.

DeePsea shows you a lot of potential mistakes not picked up by other editors. That's not "bizarro". You can turn off any and all error checks, you don't have to do them<g>

ANY task kill is not friendly to windows (NT is ok), because of resource cleanup problems with Windows. So again, that has nothing to do with DeePsea. The desktop refresh is your Video driver's problem. Did you get the latest drivers? I task kill many times testing and never have an (immediate<g>) problem. Remember, I have a Voodoo3 too.

NO tasks loaded is not the same as "paused".

All this makes sense if you understand the underpinnings. =(

1) My mouse cursor was fine while map01 was shooting all over the Goddamn place on it's own. I know this for a fact as I was chatting with Dashiva on ICQ while I was fucking using it!

2) My skill? Okay bucko, LET ME FUCKING SAY IT CLEARER:
In my most recent level there is a three step staircase. Four sectors are joined. I decided to change the back below texture of the uppermost sector on the 3 visible linedefs. I highlighted all three and went from step4 to step5. Boom, two sectors got holes in them. So I reloaded an earlier map and changed them one at a fucking time and the problem didn't recur.

I may not be an expert in Doom editing but there's no reason to be a cute smartass and insult me, I know precisely what the fuck I did BECAUSE I MADE IT HAPPEN OVER AN OVER JUST TO SEE IF IT WAS ME OR WADAUTHOR. Highlighting multiple linedefs and changing textures CAN put holes in the level that changing them one at a time won't. Yeah, I suck don't I?

3) My Voodoo 3 is on the latest certified drivers and is fine, your program is the only one that fucked with it.

4) "Paused" is the same as playing since you can't pause one and start playing another through the same resource. Stopped is completely different.

If your intent was merely to bitch and moan, but not provide any useful information, why bother? In fact you are going out of your way NOT to explain much of anything.

I'm laughing some, because now you admit that you were "chatting with Dashiva on ICQ" while using it. What makes you think ICQ is not involved?

You wrote "IT WAS ME OR WADAUTHOR". Just to be sure,I'm talking about DeePsea. That sentence says that you were using WADAUTHOR to do the changes.

I said windows is sending MESSAGES- has nothing to do with the visible mouse cursor- there's a difference. It works a lot better if you keep off the flame angle and see what I'm explaining. So far, sounds like ICQ is doing a trip thing.

You never gave me the version number? I already explained that 10.21 had a mistake in the ++ stuff when multi-selecting. If it's not 10.21 then you did something else besides.

A sector not closed only happens if you change a sidedef sector reference - NOT a texture. There's not such thing as "holes in them" - so you can swear all you like, but getting a grip on Doom editing means understanding the constructs. I can guarantee that changing a texture in DeePsea does NOT change the sector reference.

Flaming is for kids - if that was your intent all along "bucko", cool it. Reexamine your posts and tell me what "stroke", "insanely" and "seizure" really imply?

If you don't like innuendo, don't do it yourself.

I downloaded it from your site around 3/12/00, I don't remember the version number 'cuz it was only on my harddrive for about 20 minutes.

ICQ doesn't interfere with any of my other programs.

I specifically said that I removed your program right away, neverminding the fact that the problem I had with "Sectors not being closed" happened two days ago. Yes, I thought it would be implied that I was using WadAuthor to do my changes.

Once again, ICQ's 'trip thing' never interferes with any other program on my system, all 4 gigs of programs that is.

Defend your program all you like, I'm sure it's great (if I could ever get it working =), but NONETHELESS in WadAuthor simply changing the back lower texture DID put 'holes' in my sectors. I'm calling them holes because a sector is a two dimensional polygonal figure, the ones in question are trapezoids. "Sector 47 is not closed", **THAT'S** the error that suddenly appeared when I changed the back lower textures on 3 connected linedefs at once. When I did them seperately that didn't recur.

Laugh at my mapping all you like, but when I do something simple like that and the editor messes up my map I call that a glitch.

Okay, here's what the hell happened to the best of my memory:
1) I downloaded your program.
2) I installed your program.
3) I opened your program.
4) I opened the Doom II iwad.
5) I looked around map01 for a bit, playing with some of the menu options and zooming around a little, trying to get a feel for the editor.
6) I looked at the 3D preview mode.
7) The 3D preview started scrolling AND spinning around really fast and I couldn't stop it until I did a three finger salute.
8) I continued talking to Dashiva and explained that I should restart since my Marlett font got garbled.
9) I rebooted.
10) I uninstalled your program and downloaded WadAuthor.

Innuendo's fine, just don't use veiled insults. Oh, and you call that flaming? A little potty language to LOUDLY state what was ignored the first time around? Sheesh. You've clearly never seen MacVileWhore at work have you?

Nice to get beyond swearing and slinging slurs around. No, it was not clear at all you were talking about WadAuthor with the texture stuff - it sort of all ran together:)

Now that we have an -actual- description, I stand by my mouse statement. The 3D preview is EXACTLY the same, it "captures" windows "mouse" commands and behaves accordingly - more like a game would behave than a regular windows program. Despite your "seizure" description, it's just a byproduct of what you were doing.

When you are in ICQ, DeePsea still can receive mouse commands. For certain one of the mouse click got "stuck" - since it won't move unless a mouse button is down. You use the -Esc- key to kill the 3D preview command - moving the mouse in the state it was put in, moves the view. Pressing F1 tells you the control commands.

To make a statement that "ICQ.. blah blah" is ignoring my answers. There are billions and billions of combo's (as Carl Sagan would say). Having 2 programs that try to directly control the mouse is not a good thing<g> That's how "events" can get lost.

The 3D mode and other tools directly hook to mouse messages to avoid sluggish window's message response times. There is no "repaint" in that code, since it was just intended for a -quick see- and not with another window on top of it.

There are certain things one should not do. It's like playing a game and having a window on top of it doing something else. Not always a good idea. This all goes back to the window's message scheme of doing things.

Save the potty language for the potty. If it doesn't make your expression clearer, why bother? Using somebody that's worse as an example proves what? Look how long it took to get you to explain what you were doing.

It became duck easy to see what was going on once you actually explained it. So all these "veiled insults" (as you call them) should be kept in check.

PS: The Martlett font is caused by something else that happened earlier. Killing a task may have triggered it.