Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stphrz

Lüt and deadnail!

http://members.home.net/stphrz/rc.jpg

All those items in the Send to folder are shortcuts to Dos batchfiles. For example to playback a demo (lmp) I right click on the file and send it to the batch file that loads the lmp into the appropriate doom game and runs the demo.

One of the batch files is like this:

@echo off
cd\doom2
copy %1 tempdemo.lmp
doom2 -playdemo tempdemo
pause
del tempdemo.lmp

The Send to folder has a shortcut(playlmpdoom2) to playlmp.bat(see above) which is in my doom2 folder. I right click on the lmp -> Send to -> playlmpdoom2. Bingo.

Why did you ask me to post a screenshot? Think I was exaggerating? =P

BTW when I double click on a wad it gets loaded into Wadauthor. From there I can do practially anything I want with it via my customized tools menu. And no I'm not posting a screenshot of that 'cause I can't be bothered :P

OMG you are the biggest crack addict I've seen since... yesterday.

That's one way to do it, I suppose! =)

The best thing I ever put in my Sendto folder was a shortcut to Notepad.exe.

BTW, you DID register .cfg files to be just like .ini files in Windows, didn't you? I thought everyone did...

1st edit: Oh yeah, why in the HELL is that a 150k jpeg when a 25-40k png would've done the job just as well?

2nd edit: You know... you should set up PowerArchiver to cascade it's options... that makes them A LOT cleaner. Hell, get my graphical tutorial and it'll show you in the last picture! =)

http://www.deadnail.f2s.com/files/doom_pwad_windows_tutorial.exe

deadnail said:

1st edit: Oh yeah, why in the HELL is that a 150k jpeg when a 25-40k png would've done the job just as well?

Because PNGs just plain suck would be my guess.

What's this about registering CFG files? I didn't know INI files were actually recognized by windows as anything runnable; it's always up to the program that uses it's particular INI to decode it and execute it, just like CFGs.

Stphrz said:

?

That's a LOT of options there buddy!

You have them under the ZIP files though, I only have mine under files with a WAD extension. I never use Send To for anything. Windows features=bleh.

Lüt said:

Because PNGs just plain suck would be my guess.

What's this about registering CFG files? I didn't know INI files were actually recognized by windows as anything runnable; it's always up to the program that uses it's particular INI to decode it and execute it, just like CFGs.

By default Windows has no friggin' clue what a .cfg file is, even though it's basically nothing more than an .ini file.

So, root around in your file types and see exactly how .ini is set to open with Notepad and do the exact same thing for .cfg. This lets you just double click any .cfg files and edit away.

I did this WAY back in the day, very handy for editing doom cfg's, other game cfg's, emulator cfg's... well, all cfg's really. You can just double click them instead of opening Notepad, then finding it, then opening it. =)

And what the hell is that about png files sucking eh?! They're lossless images (like gifs) that support true color, and when you cut them down to 8 bit they have a smaller filesize than a gif of the same quality! They have normal gif-style transparancy and alpha transparancy too... but unfortunately, IE 5.5 doesn't support that yet... so I still use gif most of the time.

Lüt said:

That's a LOT of options there buddy!

You have them under the ZIP files though, I only have mine under files with a WAD extension. I never use Send To for anything. Windows features=bleh.

I could clean that up a lot by putting in separate folders for the doom and doom2 games, sourceports and utilities. (Hey that was such a good idea, I just did that! ;). Anyway, I find the Send to option to be the most elegant solution. No messing with registering file type extensions. If I have to re-install windows I just need to back up the contents of my Send to folder and batch files, restore them after the install and I'm good to go again right away.

BTW either of you guys know how to set it up so that when you right click on a folder there's a option to open a Dos window with that folder as the starting directory? I do :)