Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doom Taker

Soundcard? Need help!

Guest Doom Taker

Alright I have downloaded the Shareware ver. of Doom. It's been like 4 years since I've played this game. I also used to have DCK. Anyways back then I was playing on a Tandy. Now I have a Hewlett Packard with Windows 98. Anyways where do I go on my computer to find my information on my Soundcard??? I asked my dad and he can't remember. I think I have Soundblaster but I'm not sure. Please tell me what to do? Lastly how do I have the best sounds and midi sounds? Thanks.

Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Sound Video & Game controllers.

For the best music settings use General Midi (or AWE32 emulation if you have an AWE32 [or a Live!]).

For the best sound settings make sure you select stereo and have 8 samples at once. Setup.exe will usually get the irq and dma settings correctly for you.

Guest Doom Taker
deadnail said:

Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Sound Video & Game controllers.For the best music settings use General Midi (or AWE32 emulation if you have an AWE32 [or a Live!]).For the best sound set

Alright I checked that and I have Cystals PnP Audio Systems what ever that means. When I downloaded the Doom. I had to select my DMA and IRQ. I don't know what it is though. SHould I just put it on the highest level? And thanks for your help man. >:)

The default settings are *USUALLY* correct, the setup program autodetects.

If you want to totally avoid the hassle you can always download Doom95 for free from idgames. It will work with any version of Doom you have and it's totally native to Windows (almost no setup at all).

No no no. The setup program does no such thing. :P

Doom Taker, double click on soundcard entry in your device manager, then click on the "resources" tab. The irq and dma entries you need are listed there.

Better yet, don't download Doom95 it's a piece of shit. Download the ZDoom source port instead. You can find it in the source port section right here on Doomworld. Just unzip all the files into your shareware Doom folder, doubleclick on ZDoom.exe and go from there. You can customize the game to your liking (controls etc.) from the start up menus.

Hey deadnail, you hate this guy or what?

=P

Maybe, but the original DOS setup.exe HAS predicted my dmas and irqs across different machines I've had. I *NEVER* had to change them, and yes some of mine are quite different. =)