Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doom Taker

Question about Doom wads?...

Guest Doom Taker

What are Doom wads??? I know you might say I'm stupid but I just want to know the real answer. I figure they are for extra levels for Doom. Am I right? Also could I get a Doom wad for the Shareware ver. of Doom, not the Registered ver. Thanks a lot Doom heads. >:)

A .wad file is a group of data. This data usually consists of music, graphics, sound effects and levels. Wad stands for "Where's all the data ?".

The iwad (main wad) of doom contains all the game data. Pallete information, demos, everything.

A pwad (patch wad) usually is just a level as you predicted. They can also contain music or any other form of game data to be used instead of the defaults. A typical pwad can replace level e1m1 with a new level and the song for that level too. You can get them most anywhere although ftp://www.cdrom.com and Ricrob's Place are the best 2 places to start looking.

You can get the shareware doom iwad (doom1.wad) off of idsoftware.com, HOWEVER, you need the full version to use a pwad.

Hope that helps.

Guest Doom Taker
deadnail said:

A .wad file is a group of data. This data usually consists of music, graphics, sound effects and levels. Wad stands for "Where's all the data ?".The iwad (main wad) of doom contains all the game d

So it's basiclly like a hook up for data used in Doom for characters, levels, ect. I know what patch wads are. I was trying to get one but I need the registered ver. of Doom to use them. To make it into Ultiamte Doom.

About me asking about trying to get Doom from somewhere. The one I ordered I will have tommorow at 3:00 Express Mail! I can't wait!

How much did you pay for it? Around three or so years ago I picked up the Doom trilogy (Doom, Doom2, & Master Levels) for $15. No shipping since I picked it up off the shelf. =)

Unfortunately my original Doom disc was destroyed and that was the best way for me to get another, so now I have two Doom2 cd's. =)

Final Doom was much harder to find, but I finally got it.

Once you got Doom installed you ought to head over to http://zdoom.notgod.com and pick up the v1.22 stable version. Just extract that right into your Doom directory and run zDoom instead. It will work with any version and it's a lot better (it was based off the original source code).

Guest Doom Taker

Cool thanks for the info. I heard in ZDoom you can jump, look up and down, ect.

About my game I paid 9.99 for it at a Computer Store. I found it from ebay. See I was looking at an auction for Ulitamte Doom and I asked the seller if he had it to sell now. He told me he worked for a computer site. I went there and bought it. It was retailed at 39.99 and was priced at 9.99. Here's the link if you want it. They have Quake and I think Duke Nukem 3D. Check it out and all the games are cheap.

http://cybercitysoftware.com/

deadnail said:

How much did you pay for it? Around three or so years ago I picked up the Doom trilogy (Doom, Doom2, & Master Levels) for $15. No shipping since I picked it up off the shelf. =)

Unfortunately my original Doom disc was destroyed and that was the best way for me to get another, so now I have two Doom2 cd's. =)

Final Doom was much harder to find, but I finally got it.

Once you got Doom installed you ought to head over to http://zdoom.notgod.com and pick up the v1.22 stable version. Just extract that right into your Doom directory and run zDoom instead. It will work with any version and it's a lot better (it was based off the original source code).

Hey, deadnail, you have TWO Doom2 CDs? Why not FedEx me the extra one? There's no sense in having two of the same game.

No, it would be cheaper for you to drive and buy a new one for yourself.