Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doom Taker

Help Quick!!!

Guest Doom Taker

Alright I just go my copy of Ultimate Doom and I have installed it under Windows. When I installed it, it took like 5 seconds and then I was TOTALY ready to play. I went to play and the music sounds really, really chessy. I remember this is not how the game is supposed to sound. I mean it's cheassy. Can somebody help me on how to change the sounds to a better sound quality and sound? Please! I want my Doom setup right.

Guest Cacodemon Leade

I found out it sounded cheesy back when I still had an Etower 266. I now have a Cicero 1.3ghz computer. Believe me, it's powerful. Games such as NOLF, and more noticingly, Serious Sam, run very fast on it. I suggest you buy a new sound card that can play MIDIs like they were MP3s.

Are you playin on DOS or win95? As in which executable. In dos, the music sounds different than a midi in windows. Sounds kinda, simplified. Maybe its the .mus.

Guest Doom Taker

I'm playing it in Windows and I have Windows 98. Does anybody know what the channels are in the Audio setup is? I have it set on 5. I also have a Soundblaster sound card.

In the Installation Guide it says I might have a wrong DMA channel. But when I installed doom I couldn't even edit that. I still can't.

Guest Doom Taker

Does anybody know what a DMA Channel is? I think this is what my problem is. It says in the Installation Guide that I might not have Digital Sound coming from my SoundCard because of this.

DMA channels are (as far as I am sure) settings the operating system needs to find an installed cards like sound cards. I think this is for ISA bus only? I am using Macs, but since 4 month a PC is sitting under my desk - a ZDoom-only machine, which has 4 PCI and 3 ISA.

Guest RTC Marine

you have a pc?!?!!? OMG!

Peter Heinemann said:

DMA channels are (as far as I am sure) settings the operating system needs to find an installed cards like sound cards. I think this is for ISA bus only? I am using Macs, but since 4 month a PC is sitting under my desk - a ZDoom-only machine, which has 4 PCI and 3 ISA.

Direct Memory Access

Try going into setup.exe and changing the device to general midi if you want it to not sound "cheesey". Personally, I prefer the adlib sounding midis... wavetable goofs up a lot of things.

Doom Taker said:

I'm playing it in Windows and I have Windows 98. Does anybody know what the channels are in the Audio setup is? I have it set on 5. I also have a Soundblaster sound card.

In the Installation Guide it says I might have a wrong DMA channel. But when I installed doom I couldn't even edit that. I still can't.

From start>programs>click on MS-Dos prompt
From there type SET and it will tell you what settings the soundblaster is using, you can then figure out if it is the same as windows is reporting in ctrl panel>system>device manager>sound and video