Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Ranking - a question for linguica & mordeth.

Why doesn't doomworld use Ranking?
Example > You reach 100 posts. "Congratulations, you're not a nubee anymore !! You're a ... now !!" Which means your title whould change into another one.. Get it?

Guest Dave

I don't understand them schemes, sure they show the newbies from the oldies but at the end of the day people complain and whine and argue about it, I've seen it happen at too many forums and it best not start here :(
Anyway then people would be just posting for them titles...get it?

Right! Some people on Newdoom with "Cyberdemon" title and over 2000 posts are posting only silly stuff like "Uhm" or "hoho" or giving their mustard to everything and everything.

Disorder said:

Why doesn't doomworld use Ranking?

Because they suck. We can rank in our minds. Don't need to have a "cyberdemon" ranking under our name. Heh. geigh

For that to work the post counts have to function properly. =)

I'm perpetually trapped at zero posts.

Because this forum software is bad. No, awful. No, terrible. No, horrible. No, monstrously shitty.

Hey, I like this forum's software. Very easy to follow, edit, etc.

Thank God there's no "ranking" thing by number of posts.

So some think the number of posts is a status thing?

Must be all those newbies - lol

deadnail said:

For that to work the post counts have to function properly. =)

I'm perpetually trapped at zero posts.

You have 1472 posts, I just checked. Dunno why it doesn't show up...

Linguica said:

Because this forum software is bad. No, awful. No, terrible. No, horrible. No, monstrously shitty.

Bah. At least this forum software is better than the crap they have at NewDoom and SomethingAwful. God I hate those boards, you can't even tell who replies to who and the threads keep getting broken into separate pages and shit. And the constant rearrangement of thread order is enough to drive anybody insane.

Of course these still aren't as good as DoomNation's were ;)

Linguica said:

You have 1472 posts, I just checked. Dunno why it doesn't show up...

Wow he's closer to me than I thought. How many does Nightmare have?

deepteam said:

Thank God there's no "ranking" thing by number of posts. So some think the number of posts is a status thing? Must be all those newbies - lol

*ahem*

Lüt said:

Bah. At least this forum software is better than the crap they have at NewDoom and SomethingAwful. God I hate those boards, you can't even tell who replies to who and the threads keep getting broken into separate pages and shit. And the constant rearrangement of thread order is enough to drive anybody insane.

Of course these still aren't as good as DoomNation's were ;)

You're damn right. This is the only kind of forum I can tolerate, with the possible exception of VooDooExtreme and Stomped forums.

There's a couple of things I don't understand, though. For example, why the HTML & BoardMaster code are OFF?
I *REALLY* appreciate these forums because there's no 600x300 animated .GIF under each member's sig, but stuff like links, font change and pics from time to time could be really helpful.

I remember when those things were working, and no one abused from them...

Zaldron said:

You're damn right. This is the only kind of forum I can tolerate, with the possible exception of VooDooExtreme and Stomped forums.

There's a couple of things I don't understand, though. For example, why the HTML & BoardMaster code are OFF?
I *REALLY* appreciate these forums because there's no 600x300 animated .GIF under each member's sig, but stuff like links, font change and pics from time to time could be really helpful.

I remember when those things were working, and no one abused from them...

They were on. People abused it. I turned them off.

For some reason, even though I THOUGHT images were turned off while hyperlinks were turned on, people could still somehow post images, and I never found out how.

Linguica said:

Uh, yeah, it sucks. But it is still rather good compared to other stuff that is out there... Well, it loads fast, unlike other sites (*cough* gamedev.net *cough*) and you can mostly figure out who is replying to who. Not too bad :)

Guest Nuno Correia
Peter Heinemann said:

Right! Some people on Newdoom with "Cyberdemon" title and over 2000 posts are posting only silly stuff like "Uhm" or "hoho" or giving their mustard to everything and everything.

heh

Guest Nuno Correia
Linguica said:

See http://www.doomworld.com/forums/general/messages/612.shtml

Guest Dave
Linguica said:

To be honest I adore it, no fancy ancy bits and bots, just a plain forum where us Doomers can discuss things...it's great.

Guest Dave
deepteam said:

Hey, I like this forum's software. Very easy to follow, edit, etc.

Thank God there's no "ranking" thing by number of posts.

So some think the number of posts is a status thing?

Must be all those newbies - lol

I think maybe it'd be a good idea to make your own custom title...they did that at NFC and it's worked wonders then the old OLD MEMBER NEWBIE system...