Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Level styles

I was wondering what everyone's favourite style of level is.

Base (e1/e2)
Techno (early D2 levels)
Hellish (e3/late D2 levels)
Gothic (e4)
Medieval (Heretic/Hexen)
City (middle D2 levels)

These are the general ones, although you can narrow them down if them if you want to (e.g. new base=e1, subverted base=e2, dark techno=kzdoom series, etc).

I'd have to say that mine is dark techno. All that METAL2 goodness :)

Update: I forgot industrial style (most of STRAIN). Which is odd considering that it's my second favourite ;)

I never get sick of Hell levels, although they do have to be done in good taste and not, say... well, they shouldn't cause the same reaction in me that Mt. Erebus causes in you ;)

Well-done hell and the Dark Techno stuff I like a lot. And of course, stuff the doesn't fit into any categories except maybe "whoa".

For some reason I seem to like about every map made for Heretic so I suppose that's one of my favorite styles too, but only if it's for Heretic. I hate the Heretic/Hexen-in-Doom maps.

Guest Nuno Correia

Base. E2M7.

Shaviro said:

Dark techno.

Tech by far.
Hey Lüt, have you played Chris Lutz's Inferno series? Amazing hell style.

Yeah, actually, I did for the first time about 7 or 8 months ago. I definately liked the first map; that's what I call hell style. Some of the other ones like the second map and the wooden/metal ones aren't what I call hell but I liked them anyways.

Personally, I like the ones I made out of my dreams the best, those are always the creepiest :)

Gothic.

However, having a storm sky, rain, dead trees and blowing leaves just makes it 1000x better. =)

It would have to be Medieval or The Doom 1 Base levels.

I don't think the Hell levels in Doom 2 were done that well, I always get bored of them.

My kinds of level styles are hellish levels from DOOM and Ultimate DOOMs (thy flesh consumed),Doom2 and both episodes from final DOOM,not to mention doom 64.

Hellish levels are bassically like techno,gothic other world like appearences so it's a mix.

I also like base and techno levels,but hell is my flavour.

Guest Dave

Wow...well I love something that is intended to be that and works great and gives out the desired effect...D2 - map 12 as an example
But I love hell, blood, gory levels...doom2s were fantastic. >:)

Guest kristus

DARK ASS HELL HARDCORE METAL BASES.

Dark Tech, mostly, but I'd say that any motif that works well is great.

I've been playing some old levels recently, and rooms can jump from hell, to base, to gothic, etc. It doesn't look good.

IMO it doesn't matter, as long as a level is believable.

Naberus said:

I don't think the Hell levels in Doom 2 were done that well

Map28 you mean? I liked most of that level, especially the bright part with all the spiders. It could stand to be redone but conceptually I think it's a decent map. The rest of the supposed "Hell" levels were as "Earth" as you could get.

My favorite is E2 style... second is E1 style, then Plutonia style.