Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zeratul 982

mmtask - searching for cause and effect...

I typed in "mmtask" in AltaVista and I found this forum with people talking about having problems with mmtask.tsk at computing.net:

http://computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/513.html

I'll say that some of the things described by them sound very familiar:

Computer frequently freezing;
Illegal operations...running a program that played sound;
Mmtask bug while playing FF7;
Playing Ultima online...lags badly to not responding...;

It also said on there that a recent installing of a program could lead to mmtask crashes and lock-ups. These are some programs or items that I recently installed (or downloaded) before the mmtask errors:

ZDoom 1.23 beta 20 (1st mmtask error encounter; no problems at first; deleted after errors)
Dehacked
Napster beta 9.6
Winamp 2.74 (most recent version)
Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical
BulletProof FTP (deleted)

There may be more, but I can't recall.
Come to think of it, maybe the recent installation of Winamp may be screwing up everything since it's a multimedia program. Then again it might be Napster, but my brother downloaded that a while before the errors occured. The rest of the stuff above just doesn't make any sense on why or how it could cause such an error.

Give it up this is getting boring, especially after I hunted down a driver, uploaded for you after your last post and never even got a reply as to whether it worked or not, seems like you have just got a mmtask fixation and are posting, and ignoring any help offered
I mean , look 7 replies to your last post, any response to them from you? No! Just another new post on same subject

Hey, I was frustrated right then. I was like "I can't get inside the computer to check the sound card out so what's the use? To hell with it. I'm giving up!"

I was thinking that the problem had do do with the mmsystem driver. I downloaded another one from windrivers.com and replaced the old one with the new one. The next day, the errors came back like I never even replaced it.

Today I decided to broaden my search and look for stuff not for mmsystem.dll, but the next best thing: mmtask.tsk. I happened to find that site which had numerous messages which described a bunch of people experiencing mmtask problems.

About my last post, you said that you found a driver. Hey, remember that "dreaded virus" prank you pulled off? How was I supposed to know if it really was a driver you found...or another prank? That's another reason why I didn't reply. Was it a driver, or not? Besides, what was that driver supposed to do? If "crystalcx" was the name of the driver, I searched for it in AltaVista, Windrivers, Cirrus, Microsoft, and I couldn't find it.

Remember what I said on my last post. This isn't my computer, and if anything serious like a virus or a trojan got in here, I would probably be banned from the computer for a VERY long time.

It's a science, not a random guessing game.

Acknowledging questions is a courteous, if not necessarily required custom.

Flaky drivers will affect many things. To pursue your train of thought, you need to compare to dates of the modules people use here (for win98) and compare them to your versions.

I doubt very much mmtask or mmsystem is bad. Win98SE date is 4-23-99 10:22p.

If you don't give information, this is an endless loop and pretty soon nobody cares.

If you can't find out the brand name of your sound card, just drop it, since without that you are stuck.

Solution: Ask your parents to buy you a new sound card - SB Live for $55. Problem solved.

If you would bug the company as much as you do these forums, they would probably have given you an entirely new soundcard right now.

Hell, I'M about to get you a new soundcard.

deepteam said:

It's a science, not a random guessing game.

Acknowledging questions is a courteous, if not necessarily required custom.

Flaky drivers will affect many things. To pursue your train of thought, you need to compare to dates of the modules people use here (for win98) and compare them to your versions.

I doubt very much mmtask or mmsystem is bad. Win98SE date is 4-23-99 10:22p.

If you don't give information, this is an endless loop and pretty soon nobody cares.

If you can't find out the brand name of your sound card, just drop it, since without that you are stuck.

Solution: Ask your parents to buy you a new sound card - SB Live for $55. Problem solved.

Even if I did get a new sound card, I wouldn't be able to install it. She won't even let me look inside. She won't even look inside herself, because she doesn't know anything about computers. It's hopeless.

Maybe I should just live with it, expect the errors, and accept them since there's no way to fix it while in the situation I'm in. Man, I wonder why I even brought it up in the first place.

Zeratul 982 said:

Of course the virus prank may have un-nerved you but the driver is in zip format so easy to check before opening, the driver name wasn't crystalcx it was CRYSTAL_CX4237B-XQ3.ZIP I shortened it as my ftp seemed to have trouble with long name, it was downloaded from driversguide from the crystal drivers found page, and noted as the latest driver for crystal soundfusion (from a page full of uploaded crystal drivers there,after you had said you had been to driversguide and found none)

Lüt said:

If you would bug the company as much as you do these forums, they would probably have given you an entirely new soundcard right now.

Hell, I'M about to get you a new soundcard.

Same here.

C'mon people, everyone give me $5 and I''l go buy him a new soundcard. I promise I won't run away with the money...

Guest stphrz'
Zeratul 982 said:

Even if I did get a new sound card, I wouldn't be able to install it. She won't even let me look inside. She won't even look inside herself, because she doesn't know anything about computers. It's hopeless.

Maybe I should just live with it, expect the errors, and accept them since there's no way to fix it while in the situation I'm in. Man, I wonder why I even brought it up in the first place.

Seems pretty clear to me. You need to get your own computer. A part time job (if you are still in school) could get you a decent one (good enough for Doom anyway) in a few weeks.