Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ZarcyB

Realism in games

Guest ZarcyB

What do you all think about realistic games like CS, Infiltration, Project IGI and the like?

I think realism is good fun, but I also think that unrealistic games like (surprise surprise) Unreal, Quake III etc are great fun. My two favourite FPS games are Quake III and Counter Strike.

I think realism makes you as a player more aware and makes you feel more threatned, which makes you play better as a result.

Wow this is the first non-reply topic I've posted in ages.

Guest stphrz'

Depends on the type of game. Realism adds to things like flight sims and sports games, but detracts from first person shooters. I mean really, one bullet would be all it would take to take you out. Even if it didn't outright kill you, you wouldn't be able to continue. Realism would necessarily limit the kinds of weapons you could use too. You wouldn't be able to run about spraying rockets everywhere that's for sure.

Realism is bad in games. The point of a game (for me) is to get away from Real Life.

Guest Zchingo

I'm all for it. It makes the game more challenging in my opinion. A new form of randomizaton might be exciting as well, if they find a way to block enemies and weapons from going in the water!

Guest MrHarmony
ZarcyB said:

I think realism makes you as a player more aware and makes you feel more threatned, which makes you play better as a result.

Dunno if I can agree about this... Just look at Doom; I wouldn't say it's very realistic, but still, it gets that adrenaline pumping at times, even today.

I would say that the important factor is the strength of the *impression* the game gives you, rather than the realism, that has the effect you mention. In other words; the game physics, weapons etc may be totally freaked out, but as long as it feels smooth and intuitive, what counts is what the virtual environment makes you feel. Sounds, colors, shapes etc...

Vorpal said:

Realism is bad in games. The point of a game (for me) is to get away from Real Life.

Part of the fun with these "realistic" games is that they're simulating a real-life experience you may not be able to have, but might want to. I sure couldn't go to the local subway station and pull a Soldier of Fortune, but it's fun to simulate it in the game. It's just a different kind of entertainment. I tend to like the fantasy games better but realistic ones have their place too.

Realism in games is not important to me,but if there is than thats okay.A little realism now and than is no biggie and it's a good technique in gaming if you know what im saying.But than theres unrealism and thats just as good.

I like realistic portrayal of today's world in games. Too bad NO games have it right.

I really dislike CS, it's no better than a Q3A team game. Yes, the models are based on real-life models, yes, the levels portrays realistic stuff, yes, you're slower, blah blah.

It's the gamer's attitude what it's killing realims in games.
"ThE_L33t_DeStRoYeR" and "C-A-N-D-Y///RaVeR$$$$$" kind of guys ruins all the experience.

I'm still waiting for that game that portrays hostage situations where the match goes on and on for hours, just like in real life. Where you CARE about the hostages, and the terrorist realize that the hostages are the only thing they have.
A game where you have to plan the entrance, while the terrorist try to block any attemp of counterattack in a painfully complex map would be the first game I'll consider "realistic".

Guest pickle_hammer

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the most realistic game ever, and look what happened there...

pickle_hammer said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the most realistic game ever, and look what happened there...

Michaelangelo, Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael...
Damn, I miss those green turtles. :)

Lüt said:

Part of the fun with these "realistic" games is that they're simulating a real-life experience you may not be able to have, but might want to. I sure couldn't go to the local subway station and pull a Soldier of Fortune, but it's fun to simulate it in the game. It's just a different kind of entertainment. I tend to like the fantasy games better but realistic ones have their place too.

well you might a well be prepared with the most relistic game just incase world war 3 happens you will be ready for it

Guest ZarcyB
Disorder said:

Michaelangelo, Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael...
Damn, I miss those green turtles. :)

Well it would be fuckin scary if they weren't green wouldn't it? Imagine that... neon-yellow turtles....

Guest stphrz'
deadnail said:

So long as you find a gun you can aim with your mouse! =P

I happen to have one of those.

deadnail said:

So long as you find a gun you can aim with your mouse! =P

I found one...but now I'm missing a "r" key to reload the fucker.