Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Malachai

Serious Sam = Doom

Guest Malachai

The title says it all...Serious Sam is Doom and Doom2 combined with the joys of full 3d. I know Doom3 won't/doesn't look quite like Serious Sam, but Hell, at least SS kept the whole concept of weapon balance and good 'ol fashioned, old school gameplay intact. That stuff's not easy. I sure hope Id can pull it off again in the third Doom. By the way, I'm 18 today...now those lovely conservatives think I'm all right. :) I can serve in their army now. j/k But it's good to finally be old enough to walk the streets 24/7. :) Oh, and Demon Boy, Half-Life DOES NOT belong on a Doom forum.

Well, I'm not sure I can agree about Serious Sam being like Doom. I mean, when was the last time you got rushed by 50 pig demons at the same time? Also, Doom's levels are alot more involved and complex, despite the old engine, whereas the SS levels are mostly just staging areas for massive battles. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it feels more like Duke 3d with some Doomish weapons taking place in the 2nd act of Diablo 2.

Exactly.

People inmediatly associate "DooM" with "monsters galore". I wonder why...

Half-Life has about the same right to be discussed here as Serious Sam ...

Zaldron said:

Exactly.

I think it might have something to do with all those user made wads where you can't see half of the stuff flying at you because there are more than 64 critters in the room to begin with.

Of course, the levels in Serious Sam aren't anything like the ones in Doom. They consist mainly of large, high-walled arenas where you must fend off more monsters then were in the entire first episode on Doom on Ultra Violence, so that you may proceed to a similar arena with "defferent" egyptian styled textures, and perhaps a large boss.

Still, I wanna try a CoOp game on a LAN before I uninstall it.
^__^

Guest stphrz'
Zaldron said:

Exactly.

Doom2. Map 16. Nuff said.

Well, that's all good and fine, except for the fact that Doom is NOT about hundreds of monsters attacking you at the same time. I'm sorry, but as far as atmosphere and storyline go, Half-Life is alot closer to Doom than Serious Sam. Doom is more about walking down a dark, empty corridor, seeing the blue key, running up and grabbing it, and then the lights go out and several trap doors open, allowing a group of monsters in to attack you, while you blindly shoot in the dark, only seeing an occasional glimpse of your adversary from the flash from your gun. That's the kind of action I want to see in Doom 3, not 50 billion monsters coming at me and and me having enough ammo to single-handedly win World War 3.

Well said. There just aren't that many points in Doom where you're literally inundated with monsters dammit.

According to an interview I was reading, Romero's design strategy for E1 was basically episodic bursts of action, where you'd wander down some hallway, then get jumped by strategically placed monsters. This is the sort of thing you don't find in Serious Sam.

Arioch said:

Half-Life has about the same right to be discussed here as Serious Sam ...

2nded

stphrz' said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

ROFL...Sam? Weapon balance? You have *tried* the chaingun, haven't you? =)

I played the test of sam. It's quite a fun game, but very different from Doom, imo. It follows Doom's weapon structure quite closely, but the feel of play is very different. Its level design is based on *huge* open areas, which rarely figure in Doom, and the way almost every enemy teleports in combines with this to make it feel a lot different from Doom.

stphrz' said:

WOW ONE MAP!!!!111

C'mon the original DooM wasn't a massacre. Not even in ultra-violence...