• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Demon Introductions

I just had a thought about this.
Imagine this if you will..
You and your fellow armored Marine are traversing a dark hallway when you hear a terrifying "Hiiissssss!!" You and your buddy turn around and instinctively start blasting away. But the Caco refuses to die. You see the creature's eye begin to glow bright yellow, and suddenly it lets loose with a high yield, high electricty attack. You poor fellow Marine is lifted high into the air by the electricity beam, and as he hangs there in the air, you are powerless to do anything except stare in horror. The Cacodemon lets loose a big lightning ball, which sends your friends hurtling through the air. He lands with a thud! behind you. Then the Caco turns his attention towards you...
Or imagine the Imp's intro sequence...
You see the Imp, his eyes glowing red and full of demonic fury, scream at the Marine, who fires at him. The thing shrieks with pain and anger. The Imp then lashes out with razor-sharp claws and rips the guy's arm off, pistol and all. You cock your shotgun, and the thing hears you. He shrieks and prepares to throw a fireball at you.
Well, whaddaya ya think??

Once again, I don't know how you can see your screen through the haze.

Actually id is thinking about having cutscene-ish things like that to introduce new monsters.

That would be pretty cool. I remember a few other games doing that, but I don't remember the titles offhand (I haven't played any "other" games in years). They used cinematic sequences. I'm sure id would be able to do theirs in-game this time. THe current in-game for Doom3 already looks better than those old cinematic sequences anyway :P

I'm cool with ingame cinematics, altough I prefer pre-rendered cutscenes for both the intro and the outro. There's a LOT of video post effects that you can't do in cutscenes, and that add tremendously to the drama...

Cinematics have evolved. A lot. Look at Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 and you'll ingame cutscenes will always be behind in terms of quality. The trick is not abuse of them, or they might end dragging you away from the game world.

At first I found these things that you have posted annoying, but now I'm starting to enjoy them. You should really start righting stories about things like this. I could really get a clear picture of this. It makes me want to make a new .deh patch to add in these extra frame...

Linguica said:

Actually id is thinking about having cutscene-ish things like that to introduce new monsters.

Speaking of id, I'm sure you hammered Todd Hollenshead with DooM 3 questions. :) (I think he was on RTCW's booth)

Cool story. You should write your own Doom novels -- at least if you do it they will be written the correct way.

One more thing...the details in your writing are good, but I would hope that the marines were better trained to handle an imp than the guys you described.

I mean seriously: if the Doom marine was able to kick the asses of hell's forces not once, but twice, BY HIMSELF, he should surely be able to take on a single imp without getting so much as a scratch =)

Guest Zchingo

Correct way?????? What, I might ask, is a CORRECT way to write a DOOM novel?????? It's bad enough the way the are right now, but what if your "correct" way made it? What would it consist of? 5 pages sayin "He turned right and shot his gun at the demon...." over and over again?

Arguably, that's still way better than doing some sort of advertisement for the Jesus Christ Church of Latter Day Saints, or talking about Freds and Newbies or some such.

Zaldron said:

Cinematics have evolved. A lot. Look at Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 and you'll ingame cutscenes will always be behind in terms of quality. The trick is not abuse of them, or they might end dragging you aw

And you being good typing maked yore texting readables! To be certainified as to the correctness of the typed you doed!

Guest Zchingo
Arioch said:

Arguably, that's still way better than doing some sort of advertisement for the Jesus Christ Church of Latter Day Saints, or talking about Freds and Newbies or some such.

Ummmmmmm, its a thing called "A LOGICAL STORYLINE"!!!!!!!!!!!! At least there IS a storyline and a plot with more than one character in the current novels. And you need to get your stuff together and read better, cuz if you notice in the first novel Fly describes the places almost EXACTLY the way they look in the game. For instance, "A huge garden stretched out before us in the shape of a right hand. We were in the thumb." (page 216 in Knee-Deep in the Dead, describing what would be in the game E3M2) There's also a reference to E3M9, althought it comes right after the aformentioned level in the novel.

I'll admit, they're not literary legends, but it gave me something to read for about a month and a half.

LOL, I'd hardly call them characters. "Paper thin storyline boosters" is what I'd call them.

Zchingo said:

...cuz if you notice in the first novel Fly describes the places almost EXACTLY the way they look in the game. ... (page 216 in Knee-Deep in the Dead, describing what would be in the game E3M2) There'

Yes, and E3M5 doesn't even make it until Book 4. Meh.

And a month and a half? HAH - I read the whole series in about three hours, and have bitched about the "ending" for a couple of years.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

Zchingo said:

Correct way?????? What, I might ask, is a CORRECT way to write a DOOM novel?????? It's bad enough the way the are right now, but what if your "correct" way made it? What would it consist of? 5 pages sayin "He turned right and shot his gun at the demon...." over and over again?

/me BURPS! at you!

Hey man...don't get yourself a hugeass weggie over this. I was just saying that if DoomBoy wrote a new set of doom novels then i would read them.

To me, the stuff he has posted in the forums seem to capture the Doom feeling better than the original novels did.

If you don't like it, then fine. There's no need to flame. Don't have yourself a heart attack.

I owned all 4 DOOM novels and lost 3 of them...no big loss.I think those books were poorly written and not worth the paper they were written on.I just lost my last book...I was out of TP for my bunghole...

the best part of the entire books was where it described that chick topless (1st one) man something cool like doom gets fucked up by being made into books and they need rely on sex to keep the reader half assed interested in the piece of trash