Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Heretic exe editing

Another megawad roadblock. *sigh*.

If this keeps up I'll seriously have to go back and do a doom2 project.

Anyway, is there an exe editor that will work with heretic v1.3? The only one I saw in the utilities section only works with v1.2 and below. I need to change level names and a few other little things. Thanks.

Hiya.

Can't you just open up the lump (DeepSea can do this I think) and change something in there? As you can tell, I'm just grasping at straws, but...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

No lumps here :)

You can find HereHack or HHE (same thing I think) and in the INI file, you have to modify a few parameters so it can at least load the v1.3 EXE, and then you can get it to work with most of the v1.3 features. I tried some patched EXEs and they seemed to work just as good as the DEH patches did. I guess you can't change any Episode 4 and 5 stuff, though I'm not totally sure about that. The HHE program will probably crash on certain parts, but it should work decent overall.

I imagine you can mess with some of the thing tables etc. using patches in combination with doom legacy, but I've never tried.

HEY LUT,

You don't happen to know exactly what I'd do to the hhe.ini to get the thing to work with 1.3, do you? I've fiddled around a bit but I can't seem to figure it out.

I remember it said in some kinda documentation, I think if it came with a readme, it would be in that. I know you had to set the EXE file size to match, and there might have been a few other things under the same category.

I remember it said in some kinda documentation, I think if it came with a readme, it would be in that. I know you had to set the EXE file size to match, and there might have been a few other things under the same category.

I didn't manage to get a help file, although looking around I should have. I checked and the EXE file size does match, I've set the #Heretic Version# to 1.3 in several ways (13, 1.3, v1.3, v13) yet when I enter HHE it still says heretic version 1.0...

Strange, it says version 1.0, but I can see the entries for the e4 and e5 level names and intermission screens...

What's also wierd, any changes I make to herehack.exe (the copy of the original heretic.exe to hack) I can see (level names and such), but If I save any changes as an HHE patch, it doesn't work. Hmmmmmmmm....

OK, I took the changes from my INI, here are the ones I use to work HHE:

# The size of the user-defined heretic.exe file.
size = 728031

# These are the offsets for the various data sections...
thingoff = 617600
soundoff = 639734
frameoff = 583860
spriteoff = 583348
ammooff = 635780
weaponoff = 636204
textoff = 563284
codepoff = 258020

....which are the exact parameters in my .ini file.

Like I said above, my hhe.exe says 1.0 yet it is able to edit 1.3 entries.

My real problem is this...

Any changes I make to Herehack.exe, the name of the hack copy of the original Heretic, work. Herehack.exe even has all the v1.3 episodes and such.

HOWEVER, any changes I save to a .HHE patch file don't work. I went into the patch with notepad and changed "heretic version". Again, I put it several different ways (13, 3, 1.3, v1.3, so on). Still didn't work.

Are you trying to load this patch with a sourceport or just re-load it in the hack program?

Are you trying to load this patch with a sourceport or just re-load it in the hack program?

I'm loading my .HHE files with normal old heretic.exe

Like I said, any changes I make DIRECTLY to the hack program work, but patches I run with normal heretic don't.

Uh, you can't run patches with original engine. What you have to do is load the patch into a 2nd EXE and use that, like you did with your HereHack.exe. So when people would download your stuff, you should include a batch that will create another EXE with the included HHE program and your HHE patch. Or just stick your patched EXE in the ZIP along with the actual .hhe file itself, so people running ports could use it (provided the ports support external loading of patches, which I think most of them do.)

THANK YOU

One last thing. Including an EXE would make the zip pretty big. How would I instruct a batch to create a new .EXE?

Including the EXE wouldn't make the ZIP much bigger at all. If you're doing a megawad, the EXE will probably only be 1/10 the size of the megawad, and that's if you do very small levels as well.