Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Stop me before I post again!

Haven't been here in a couple days, but I did have time to do some thinking about stuff.
I was thinking: every version of Doom will let you play it without the CD in. This is good, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to paly Doom2 with out d/ling it from id's site. Anyway, do any of you think that we'll be able to play Doom3 without the CD in? I ask this because Doom3 will have a VERY high amount of technology going on, and because of technical reasons, you may not be able to play D3 without the CD in.

It's up to id as to whether they want to make the cd a requirement or not. With something as powerful as that game, you'll want to run as little off the CD as possible.

Guest Nuno Correia

It'll prolly be released on a DVD, but there'll be a full install option.

Lüt said:

It's up to id as to whether they want to make the cd a requirement or not. With something as powerful as that game, you'll want to run as little off the CD as possible.

Most new games just use the CD as verifivation, and don't load data off it unless you dont' do a fullinstall

Quake 3 Arena in a full install won't run without the CD unless you type in the CD verification number that is on the back of the Quake 3 Arena CD case.

I can almost guarantee that Doom 3 will need the CD in to run. Almost all games nowadays do. It will probably have some sort of registration key as well. This isn't just because id would want it; lots of publishers want that sort of piracy protection nowadays. However, like id did with Quake 2, they will eventually release a patch that removes the CD-in-drive requirement, after the game has run its commercial course.

Guest Blynd Syde

I think that chances are good the CD will be required to play. Like most of the posters before me I agree when they say the high level of technological things happening in the game and FMV(maybe?) will most likly make it a CD required game.

knowing the detail of the game, unless id softwhere does a method that makes the maps small but i doupt it, i say 2 cd probly, but in 2 years dvd will be fast enuf to run games so id might choose dvd

Linguica said:

I can almost guarantee that Doom 3 will need the CD in to run. Almost all games nowadays do. It will probably have some sort of registration key as well. This isn't just because id would want it; lots of publishers want that sort of piracy protection nowadays. However, like id did with Quake 2, they will eventually release a patch that removes the CD-in-drive requirement, after the game has run its commercial course.

There's only one way to fight piracy...make great games. Seriously, succesfull games make profit, regular games don't deserve your money, and that's why people copy them...

Nuno Correia said:

It'll prolly be released on a DVD, but there'll be a full install option.

As long as they don't pull a Riven here and make it 6 or 7 CDs...

Guest nrkn
Zaldron said:

There's only one way to fight piracy...make great games. Seriously, succesfull games make profit, regular games don't deserve your money, and that's why people copy them...

Yeah... I hate 2 admit 2 anything or sound like I'm endorsing piracy, but having read that I just realised that the only games I've ever paid for are doom2, q2, q3arena, and sam & max hit the road... anyone remember that game???