Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

old school doom rigs

i remeber my old doom rig a Dell486DX/88mhz, 8 megs of ram and a 800mb hard drive and a 33.6kbs modem. it was awsome when it arrived in early 93 and a month later my mom got the doom shareware in a cdrom pack she got. it kicked ass, at first it had no sound because we did not install it right. it was in their basement so it made it a little more creepy. I would play for many hours at a time then go outside and play and return to doom it out in the evenings. the computer was my main gameing rigg untill about late 1996. man sometimes i miss useing win 3.1x as well as the "high" comand in dos. that brings back memories if i ever get the chance i will buy that computer off her ex-boyfriend hook it up and play for that old doom feeling.

I didn't get my first 'real' (above 286) 'puter until mid 96, and that was a Pentium75 with 8 megs of ram and a single gig harddrive.

Hell, right now I'm enjoying my P3 with 256 megs of ram in the same room that all my other shit is in, ranging from Gameboy (the original) to Playstation 2. =)

My first machine was a 486DX33 with 4 megs of ram, no soundcard, and a 14.4 modem.^__^

Thankfully, I got a SB16 in there before I installed the Doom shareware, cuz it's hard to be scared of demons that beep at you. Then I got Doom II and found out that I needed to hurry up and get another 4 megs of ram to play it...

My God, I can still remember when 16 megs of system memory was hot shit, and now my video card has twice that much =P. Times sure do change.

PC I originally played Doom on was a KT Technologies 486DX/33, 16mb RAM, 210mb Western Digital HD, S3 SVGA graphics card, 14" monitor, SB16 ISA soundcard through an old Pioneer amp into a fatass pair of headphones. We got that sys in 1992 IIRC, pretty much top-end at the time. Got about 10.5fps in Doom2 timedemo demo2, IIRC. It was upgraded into a 5x86/133 (OC'ed to 160) which my sister now uses.

Pentium90, 16MB RAM, 2MB video, 850MB hard drive (which actually had more space than the 1.2GB's that were coming out around then.) 17" monitor too. Unfortunately, before that I had to play Doom at my friend's place on his Packard Bell 486-25 with 4MB RAM, high detail and 3 screen sizes too small. The only way to get perfect movement was to put it at the smallest screen size in low detail. I tried playing modem games with him too, that was unbearable (since the game runs at the slowest computer's speed).

Mmh, for me it was a 486/DX33 with LESS than 4 megs of RAM (3.8 I believe). I had a 100 megs harddrive back then and no sound card. Of course, I had the Trident 1024, my greatest friend for a couple of years.

I remember playing DooM was really annoying because of that weird RAM amount. From time to time I received the "Z_malloc" error.

Guest Nuno Correia

Around 1995 I had a 486DX at 33MHz with 16 megs of RAM and four 512 meg Quantum hard drives. It rocked.

Guest nrkn

1994, 1x kickass 486dx/66 with 4mb ram, 230mb hdd, sb16, a *2x* CDrom (my friends were so jealous), 14" monitor with, if I remember correctly, a max res of 640x480 (or maybe it was my gfx card that couldn't handle), win 3.11 (would u believe that I miss 3.11?), came bundled with doom shareware and a pale imitation of doom called Blake Stone. Ran doom pretty well but modem games sucked hard on my 9600 modem... lost it all in a housefire :( replaced it with a p100 with 8mb ram and a 1gb hdd to play doom2 :)