Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Elviele

Skys(wadauthor)

Guest Elviele

I don't understand how skys work,I tried the wadauothor tutorial and looked ant the help topics and I found nothing, I somehow think that it is with all editors the way you use skys, when I choose F_sky it is always the cloudy sky, how do you use the pther skys? And on some levels have the sky from cieling to wall, How do you do that??

>>how do you use the pther skys?

DooM II is set up so that Levels 1-11 have the cloudy sky, Levels 12-20 have the city/buildings sky, and 21-30 have the mountain sky. If you want a different sky than the cloudy one, you can do it in two ways. The easy way is to set up WadAuthor so that you are creating a map other than Map01 - Map11 (when you open a new file in WadAuthor, right click your mouse, select Map Name, and change Mission number to a number between 12 and 30. If you have an existing map, right click on any part of the WadAuthor grid outside your map boundary and follow the same steps). Remember to specify the map number in your text file.

The more difficult way to do it is to use a graphics editor (such as WinTex) and insert a new sky patch to replace R_SKY1. You can use your graphics editor to insert one of the other two skies (city or mountain) in place of the cloudy sky (but what would be the point, when it's so much easier to just rename the map). However, if you replace R_SKY1 with one of the other two DooM II skies, your wad will almost certainly be rejected by CDROM.com (their policy is that you can't include any of id Software's original graphics).

>>And on some levels have the sky from cieling to wall, How do you do that??

When you say "ceiling to wall", I assume you mean having a wall texture be one of the skies. This one is easy. In WadAuthor, double click on the wall you want to look like a sky, click on the Main sidedef picture, scroll to SKY1, SKY2, or SKY3, click on the sky you want, click on OK and you're set.

If I were you, I might consider putting a few hyphens in front of your signature.. :-b

Yep, it all depends on what level your level is on. This data is hard-coded into the game, and can't be changed with regular doom2.exe...

Oh and the sky that goes from ceiling to floor. I used to wonder how to do that too, a LONG, LONG time ago!! :D

Okay.. Let's just say you have a pillar in the middle of the room, and you want it to have a sky on the wall.. That pillar would have to be a sector, not just 1-sided walls.. Let's say the sector you stand in is floor/ceiling height 0/128. The pillar height would be 0/0. The pillar's ceiling would be with the floor. What you'd do then is put the ceiling texture of the pillar as F_SKY1. The WALL textures of the pillar, that you see, they would be -. That's right. No texture. What normally would produce a HOM would then create sky on the wall. You can apply this in many different ways. Hope this helps.. ;)

ReX said:

When you say "ceiling to wall", I assume you mean having a wall texture be one of the skies. This one is easy. In WadAuthor, double click on the wall you want to look like a sky, click on the Main sid

Yeah, I don't think that's what he meant..

In addition to the already mentioned info; if you are using ZDoom, then you can specify the sky to use in the mapinfo lump like:

map Map01 "Dentention Block B"
next 02
music d_runnin
sky1 SKY3 0.0

Here the map is using the SKY3 tetxure for the sky. Each map can have a different sky, just specify the texture. The numbers are the scroll factor for the sky if you want it to move (like orbiting in space for example).

AndrewB said:

Oh and the sky that goes from ceiling to floor. I used to wonder how to do that too, a LONG, LONG time ago!! :D

Okay.. Let's just say you have a pillar in the middle of the room, and you want it to have a sky on the wall.. That pillar would have to be a sector, not just 1-sided walls.. Let's say the sector you stand in is floor/ceiling height 0/128. The pillar height would be 0/0. The pillar's ceiling would be with the floor. What you'd do then is put the ceiling texture of the pillar as F_SKY1. The WALL textures of the pillar, that you see, they would be -. That's right. No texture. What normally would produce a HOM would then create sky on the wall. You can apply this in many different ways. Hope this helps.. ;)

Elviele, I misunderstood your question about "ceiling to wall" sky textures. AndrewB has explained how to do it, and I just wanted to mention one of the applications he refers to. Say you're on an island, and you want the sky to meet the water (or lava, or whatever is surrounding the island) at the horizon. If the water floor height is 0, you create a sector around the water with floor and ceiling height = 0, and ceiling texture as F_SKY. This will create a sky that meets the water in a "ceiling to wall" effect.

Guest Elviele
AndrewB said:

Yeah, I don't think that's what he meant..

Thank you all for helping me.