Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

DEEEEP Question (sorta)

Guest Epistax

Ok I want to make a new pick-upable item. I am using a deh and a couple wads in this project- this is how I plan it so far. The item will just be some sprite with the "Pickupable" (or wahtever) tag set to true. A Zdoom script will keep a constant tab on the number of this thing in a particular map. If the number drops, that means a player picked one up, and the pickup does some sort of global affect to the level.

Now I would delete some stupid "Scenery" to make the pickupable item- but how can I make it so that Doom doesn't just crash (zdoom to be exact) whenever you pick up an object that was not originally meant to be picked up?

Oh and I saw some talk about embedding a DEH into a wad. How do you go about doing that? (What name do you give it in the wad)

AFAIK creating an item you can pick up always crashes DooM. Since you are using ZDooM you can use a little trick: Place a sector around each item you want to be "pick-upable", set this item's tag to something (let's take 1 for now) and make the lines specials (of the sector you placed around the item) to Thing_Remove(1). Or whatever the special is for this. Now when the player get's close to the thing it looks like it was picked up.

To include a DeHackEd file into a WAD simply call the lump you import it in DEHACKED. That's all.