Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Drakker

Nostalgia: Tricks of the Doom Programming Gur

Does this title rings a bell? I just stumbled on that book in my pile of old goodies a few days ago, and couldn't resist to open it... Man, this book is a real gem. Though it's kinda outdated now. *grin* Well, the point of this message is, did anyone (beside me) started out with this book? Any other book? Would anyone care to write a tutorial as good as this book? Am I totaly out of the track and the book sucks? *grin* Well, just thought I'd share my little piece of nostalgia.

Guest Fanatic

Man, that book is GOLDEN for people new to DOOM editing. I spent more time in that book than on anything I did in college. It's an awesome read for sure!

I have the 3D Alchemy book. This one is good because it comes with an ACS reference. Helped a lot with ZDoom editing.

BTW, have you noticed how you get screamed at if you forget your password? :)

Hi Rick!
I have the 3D Alchemy book too but it doesn't work! i try to instal it and it crash all time.
I have it on a CD where is a compiled Heretic and Hexen game in separated directory!

What can i do to make it work!
:)

Guest T-N-T

Oh yeah, I started out with that book a long time ago. When I first got that book I always wondered what it would be like to make that blue demon on the front a real monster in Doom! It never happened though. That book tought me Waded and I've used it ever since as my primary level editor. I will always have this book in my collection. Hey, e-mail me and we'll talk about more nostalgic stuff.

I started with Waded too, as the book's tutorial used it, but I moved to DCK pretty quickly, cuz Waded make sector thing didnt like my SLC2/66 very much (ah, the time where a CPU would ship with no FPU ;).

The book also shows the "awesome stuff" of levels such as Trinity and Serenity, Return to UAC and etc. I wonder how good these level are compared to today's stuff.

*Goes out to play them again*

Guest PainoMan

I have both Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus and 3d Game Alchemy.

I got the first one when it came out and started learning with WADED but soon discovered WadAuthor and went through the tutorial with it. Actually, I was customizing everything even as I went throught the tutorial. Too bad the only data I've ever completely lost in a system crash was the only wads I ever made.

When 3d Game Alchemy came out, I picked it up immediately and was pleasantly surprised to see the addition of WadAuthor in the tutorials.

Lately,I've been breaking those books out again...

I've had a similar problems with my wads... but fortunately I had backup. Though, when I attempted to use my oooooold disks again, the 6th one had a bad sector... bye wads. Tried again about a year later, and somehow, it worked! Now I guess I should update all my old deathmatch wads and upload them to some sites. *grin* I uploaded them on a couple of BBSes a few years ago, but mostly canadians (Québec) BBSes, so, I doubt anyone here ever got them.

I guess them first one to get an update will be the WAD we used in our "unofficial" *ahem* Doom competition during my programmation classes. *grin* (called Dead Zone, though, when I got my first Internet connection, I stumbled upon a single player level called Dead Zone...)